Axl Rose: The Rolling Stone Interview (old)

2 minutes ago, MADDOGJONES said:

I just like to see it from everyone's perspective and think people are quick to paint the guy in the worst light possible.

Anyway, think we've exhausted this, we'll be going around in circles soon, so I'll move on. Good chat, Alex. Later.

Zorro.

Zorro, :lol: should've just put a Z to be honest. :lol:

• Like 1

I felt he defended himself really well on being late for shows.  He wants to do the best show he can.  He clearly had things going on in his life that caused emotional and physical turmoil and it could take him time to get to 100% for the show. 

Interesting to hear his side of the story on Izzy.  What he said with regards to izzy doing less work, so he'd get less money, reminds me of the NITL tour situation

• Like 2

If nothing else, the story on Izzy's been consistent for 26 years. And Izzy's career/lifestyle over that time supports it.

Did they ever consider just starting the show later so there wasn't that 2 hour wait for GNR to come on? For as much as Axl said he went on when he felt mentally prepared or whatever, it typically around the same time every night, wasn't it? Like near midnight?

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

:smiley-confused2:

GnR took the stage at 3AM that night and said:

"Love it Hate it Accept it Debate it - You want 8 o'clock shows go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere," the band posted on Oct. 7. "Or you wanna be informed go catch the 10 o'clock news.. this is Rock N' Roll! Treat yourself don't cheat yourself thinking you're gonna go to school or work or whatever you 'normally' do the next day. Oh and remember before you get high and never want to come down. 'you can have anything you want but you better not take it from me!' This is Guns N'Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite."

:axl::facepalm:

1 minute ago, Silent Jay said:

GnR took the stage at 3AM that night and said:

"Love it Hate it Accept it Debate it - You want 8 o'clock shows go find F-R-I-E-N-D-S or hit a cinema somewhere," the band posted on Oct. 7. "Or you wanna be informed go catch the 10 o'clock news.. this is Rock N' Roll! Treat yourself don't cheat yourself thinking you're gonna go to school or work or whatever you 'normally' do the next day. Oh and remember before you get high and never want to come down. 'you can have anything you want but you better not take it from me!' This is Guns N'Roses and when the time is right the stage will ignite."

:axl::facepalm:

Great start to the shittiest 3 years of the band's history. The 2011-2014 shows were abysmal...talk about Axl losing it.

now when we already gone off topic.. did any journalist or someone ask Axl or the other members what went wrong RIR 2011?  i know i read somewhere about Axl being sick got the flu or something that night but i can't remember where i read it..

I just wanna celebrate the fact that he does fully acknowledge that he has emotional and psychological issues.  He talks openly about having at least one therapy session per day.  I think thats incredible.  Both that he took responsibility to get help and also that he shared that with the world.  Thats brave and it helps to de-stigmatize therapy and mental heath struggles.  So good for him!

Elsewhere in that interview (pretty sure this one or at least another RS feature) he talks about being a victim of childhood sexual abuse.  Again, so brave.  He states his purpose for sharing this as an effort to help others who suffered, to build awareness.  He states a desire to work with an organization that works with children.  He's consciously using his real life story, blended with his rock star legend to seek to help others.  

Of course attacking a biker whilst sporting sweaty lil' bicycle shorts and a boa probably presents some barriers to joining the board of a registered charity.

Impacted by trauma, insulated by fame and handlers, I believe he's done all he could.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

"weak ankles" :lol:

Sorry… but I wouldn't laugh so hard at that. My husband has that too. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsy before being born, and while he's actually 95% normal, he does have weak ankles. If Axl tripped up on stage due to his ankles giving way randomly, I don't think his pride could hold it! :lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Sorry… but I wouldn't laugh so hard at that. My husband has that too. He was diagnosed with cerebral palsy before being born, and while he's actually 95% normal, he does have weak ankles. If Axl tripped up on stage due to his ankles giving way randomly, I don't think his pride could hold it! :lol:

My apologies, Gracii. :)

50 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Not enough :facepalm: in the world to sum that up.

Sorry to continue to derail the discussion but as bad as this show was I actually watched Rock in Rio 2001 last night all the way through. Man, that was terrible. I think even worse than this show. Buckethead and Robin Finck's playing was so sloppy, like the solos were unrecognisable and Axl? Not only was there no rasp at all, he was shaky, out of breath and even his range had suffered considerably. Like his falsetto couldn't even sustain clean notes correctly. At least '11 saw Estranged make a return.

Both horrendous though.

3 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

No worries, I know "weak ankles" sounds like a silly minor thing, but if Axl's scared about hitting a bum note, imagine the embarrassment if he tripped over.

Well he can always borrow the throne again.

1 minute ago, AlexC said:

Sorry to continue to derail the discussion but as bad as this show was I actually watched Rock in Rio 2001 last night all the way through. Man, that was terrible. I think even worse than this show. Buckethead and Robin Finck's playing was so sloppy, like the solos were unrecognisable and Axl? Not only was there no rasp at all, he was shaky, out of breath and even his range had suffered considerably. Like his falsetto couldn't even sustain clean notes correctly. At least '11 saw Estranged make a return.

Both horrendous though.

Agree to be honest. I think obviously what 2001 had in it's favour was simply the excitement of seeing Axl back after so long in the wilderness. It was also weirdly entertaining because you had this freak show of a band including a bloke in a mime mask with a KFC bucket on his head. Also, there were new songs, remember those?  There was a lot of raw energy during that show for all it's faults but yeah, it was ropey as fuck at times. 2011 was basically Axl 'The Vegas Years' but at least we had the raincoat. :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

i guess all the "other singers" don't have mental illness. I also guess a comment like that are from someone who never experienced mental illness and a top of that being a front man in the biggest (at the time) band in the world.

"Sounds more like laziness to me. " sorry but that's one stupid comment. I wonder how many people with mental illness have heard that.. "you're just lazy" etc :facepalm:

Please dont expect any intelligent or thoughtfull comments from that person

Edited by xBrownstonex

1 hour ago, soon said:

I just wanna celebrate the fact that he does fully acknowledge that he has emotional and psychological issues.  He talks openly about having at least one therapy session per day.  I think thats incredible.  Both that he took responsibility to get help and also that he shared that with the world.  Thats brave and it helps to de-stigmatize therapy and mental heath struggles.  So good for him!

Elsewhere in that interview (pretty sure this one or at least another RS feature) he talks about being a victim of childhood sexual abuse.  Again, so brave.  He states his purpose for sharing this as an effort to help others who suffered, to build awareness.  He states a desire to work with an organization that works with children.  He's consciously using his real life story, blended with his rock star legend to seek to help others.  

Of course attacking a biker whilst sporting sweaty lil' bicycle shorts and a boa probably presents some barriers to joining the board of a registered charity.

Impacted by trauma, insulated by fame and handlers, I believe he's done all he could.

I think a lot of people are/were quick to write Axl off as just an egotistical asshole. The guy clearly had some issues and suddenly having fame and fortune didn't solve that - if anything it probably made it worse. I don't know how many people were have suffered through depression but there are times you don't want to get out of bed in the morning, let alone get in front of 30,000 and give a high energy performance.  It's actually surprising/commendable that Axl wasn't the one who hit the booze/drugs the hardest to deal with it all.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

I think a lot of people are/were quick to write Axl off as just an egotistical asshole. The guy clearly had some issues and suddenly having fame and fortune didn't solve that - if anything it probably made it worse. I don't know how many people were have suffered through depression but there are times you don't want to get out of bed in the morning, let alone get in front of 30,000 and give a high energy performance.  It's actually surprising/commendable that Axl wasn't the one who hit the booze/drugs the hardest to deal with it all.

Spot on.

1 hour ago, estranged_85 said:

now when we already gone off topic.. did any journalist or someone ask Axl or the other members what went wrong RIR 2011?  i know i read somewhere about Axl being sick got the flu or something that night but i can't remember where i read it..

Theres so much that can be discussed based on these excerpts.  The Izzy stuff... I think theres a lot there.

Axl talks about Izzy having "demands."  And dismisses them saying that they "weren't going to be met."  Almost dismissing that one can give demands?  But then goes right into his "stipulations" to Izzy.  Why did he see Izzy as obviously having no say?  Or at least that everything Izzy said was ridiculous and can just be ignored?

Well, it seems that Izzy wasn't doing some actions that Axl thought were what made the band what it was.  Izzy not moving on stage - instantly shot down by the interviewer - is something Axl thought warranted a pay cut?  To me this screams that Axl had a fundamental lack of understanding about what made the band so popular.  It wasn't that they danced around like pop stars!!  :facepalm:

Or Axl also complains that Izzy only brought in demos of incredible, legendary songs.  What is that?!?!  Izzy isn't in half the mixes on UYIs anyways!  Axl seems to demand of others what he himself wont do.  He didn't show up for most sessions with nuGNR.  It may very well be that Izzy put in the required effort and Axl was simply confounded that Izzy wouldn't want to hum and ha over it for a few years and have a series of IT guys re-amp it with the arrival of every new piece of technology?

Anyways it all sounds to me like it could be summed up as 'Izzy wouldn't do everything I said to do, including the weird stuff like my demand that he shake his ass.'

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

When you are sick you just don't work.

If you can't work you don't go to work.

Now if you're sick and you charge your clients but can't do the job, then expect people to become utterly upset at that.

None of GN'R concerts were for FREE. People paid lots of money to see this guy and the way he talks about the audience in this interview it is just fuckin' disgusting.

Who does he think he is to tell people to not expect to go to school or their jobs the next morning? :crazy:

Just like he thinks he's entitled to charge a ticket and not show up to a show or appear 2 hours later, people are entitled to do whatever fuck they wanna do next morning.

That kind of answer is what makes him completely delusional about who he is.