OLD SPAGHETTI TASTES GOOD?

i was listening to The Rolling Stones covers album "Blue & Lonesome" and saw a parallel of sorts, i think this recent Stones album is going to age amazing, the way I feel like "The Spaghetti Incident" has aged incredibly well.  i always dug it, but now it feels like an excellent album and excellent creative choice for the band at that time.  tsi fits perfectly into the discography of the band, it's an interesting part of the greater body of work - everything from afd to the live record feels pretty perfect in order, like they were making great choices and great records one after the other.    

have your thoughts on "The Spaghetti Incident" evolved over the years or stayed the same?  

• Like 1

I bought the album but I haven't listened to it in years. For the most part, they aren't really good covers. I quite liked Axl's voice and Slash's tone though, Axl was completely frantic on Human Being.

I think Sorum sucked up all the energy out of these songs.

Edited by Silent Jay

I don't know about it aging well or anything, it just is what it is. To its credit, it's the best sounding GNR album on vinyl. They should've stuck with the original idea and just made it an EP though, because as good as Axl's voice and Slash's tone sound there's only about 4-5 good songs on the album (Ain't It Fun, Hair Of The Dog, SIDHY, Black Leather. Human Being is good but way longer than it needed to be).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

i was listening to The Rolling Stones covers album "Blue & Lonesome" and saw a parallel of sorts, i think this recent Stones album is going to age amazing, the way I feel like "The Spaghetti Incident" has aged incredibly well.  i always dug it, but now it feels like an excellent album and excellent creative choice for the band at that time.  tsi fits perfectly into the discography of the band, it's an interesting part of the greater body of work - everything from afd to the live record feels pretty perfect in order, like they were making great choices and great records one after the other.    

have your thoughts on "The Spaghetti Incident" evolved over the years or stayed the same?  

the album also boasts the best production of any GNR album.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bc rich said:

Can anyone enlighten me on the story behind the title?

From Wikipedia: 

The title is an inside joke referring to a food fight between Axl Rose and Steven Adler. Much was made of this food fight during Adler's lawsuit against the band in 1993, in which Adler's attorney referred to it as "the Spaghetti Incident"

4 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

I mentioned this the other day, but I think TSI turning out to be GNR's last album hurts it. Put into context, they're good covers, they sound great, and it gave fans something off the heels of Use Your Illusion to tie them over until the next album. Which didn't happen, but that's not The Spaghetti Incident's fault.

• Like 2

Pretty sure in interviews back then the band said it was just a thrown together covers album recorded all around the world on down time during the UYI tour. Only meant to fill the space until the next album in 96 or so... I always liked it, but not in one sitting, enjoyed it more when I have about 70 guns songs playing at random.

Eh… it might have been better as a LIES-style EP, to bridge the gap between Illusions and whatever they thought they'd be releasing next. 

My shortened track list would be:

1. New Rose
  2. Down on the Farm
  3. Raw Power
  4. Ain't It Fun
  5. Buick Makane
  6. Hair of the Dog
  7. Attitude
  8. Black Leather

It wasn't a great album, but I've not minded it at all. They set a really high standard with UYI. It's just a shame that the band went tits up at that point and couldn't recover from the album's flop with some original music.

I was 11 when that record came out, and I loved the hell out of it. And I still do, although it's been a while since I've actually listened to the whole thing in one sitting. The sound, Axl's voice, the guitars, Matt, the diversity... everything.

• Like 1