Bumblefoot has no regrets over Guns N’ Roses stint

bumblefoot-and-axl-rose-ilya-mirman-phot

Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal says he has no regrets about his time in Guns N’ Roses – but admits if he’d been asked the same question three years ago, he might have given a different response.

The guitarist joined Axl Rose in 2006 and went on to play on the highly anticipated 2008 Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy. But he decided to walk away in 2015 after spending much of that year fielding questions about his status in the lineup.

And reflecting on his time in the band, Thal now says the experience was “wonderful.”

He tells SiriusXM’s Trunk Nation (viaBlabbermouth): “You could look at anything and say, 'What if I took a different path? What if I did different things? What if I said no and did this instead? What if I just focused on my solo stuff or producing or film and TV music?'

“But your life is your life and whatever decisions you made, they were based on who you were, who you are and what was supposed to happen.

“So, do I regret it? No. Absolutely not. If you had asked me three years ago, I would have a different answer. But, no. I got to be part of making millions of people cheer and enjoy themselves. It's wonderful.”

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-03-22/bumblefoot-has-no-regrets-over-guns-n-roses-stint

Edited by auad

Good on Bumblefoot. Didn't like his playing on preexisting GNR/newGNR songs, but would have liked to hear new Axl/Bumblefoot/Fortus/Tommy material, as I enjoy his solo material quite a bit.

Must have sucked to not be able to talk about anything about the band your in

Edited by Mendez

Glad I got to hear Bumble perform Shackler's live. I think his Chinese work added a lot to the album. He said he played on about 30 tracks. I'd love to hear the rest of his Guns work someday but not likely.

Cool to see that like always, Bumble is a class act and that enough time has passed since his personal Gn'R disaster so now he can appreciate the good things about that experience.

I like that he's getting high profile work with Mike. That seems to be like a good match for him musically.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

Ron is the best guitarist GNR ever had. Not the best fit necessarily for GNR (obviously that'd be Slash), but in terms of a guitarist who can literally play anything and also contribute some great original ideas to the new material, and a guy who actually knows how to write a proper song, Ron is the man.

Looking forward to the new Art of Anarchy album on Friday.

• Like 3

He's a cool dude, liked his solos on Shackler's and Catcher (prefer his take to Brian's, as much as I love Brian May).

People give him shit for seeming like a drama queen but I think they underestimate just how much that car accident and the subsequent injuries and painkillers fucked him up. Good on him for making it through all that.

• Like 3

I think his evasive action when asked about his status in GN'R may have been tied to his health. Remember Bumble was probably sicker than we knew. Maybe he didn't want to overstep the confidentiality agreement to take off any internal stress. 

2 hours ago, Amir said:

He's a cool dude, liked his solos on Shackler's and Catcher (prefer his take to Brian's, as much as I love Brian May).

People give him shit for seeming like a drama queen but I think they underestimate just how much that car accident and the subsequent injuries and painkillers fucked him up. Good on him for making it through all that.

I think it just took a while to realise GNR fans are whatever

33 minutes ago, cooker said:

I think his evasive action when asked about his status in GN'R may have been tied to his health. Remember Bumble was probably sicker than we knew. Maybe he didn't want to overstep the confidentiality agreement to take off any internal stress. 

Probably a mixture of that and the fact that he doesn't really like to say anything negative about anybody - especially in the media. I always gathered that he was afraid of any comments he made post-GNR getting twisted in the media. It doesn't necessarily explain why he didn't just flat out say "I had a blast with the guys but I need to take a leave from the band" or something, but rather why he avoids making direct comments about band members.

9 minutes ago, maynard said:

Is this Art of Anarchy that band with the Creed guy now? How can anyone have any interest in this? :lol:

My interest is based on the strength of the first album. I'm not expecting the one with Scott Stapp to live up to the Weiland album, but from what I've heard so far, it still sounds like Art Of Anarchy and not Creed, which is a good thing.

Edited by Towelie

9 minutes ago, maynard said:

Is this Art of Anarchy that band with the Creed guy now? How can anyone have any interest in this? :lol:

Oh holy shit, I couldn't agree more. I love me some BBF. You & I disagree on his work in GN'R, but I happen to like it. Either way, I cannot ever imagine listening to anything he'd do with the a-hole from Creed.

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh holy shit, I couldn't agree more. I love me some BBF. You & I disagree on his work in GN'R, but I happen to like it. Either way, I cannot ever imagine listening to anything he'd do with the a-hole from Creed.

You do know that most people consider Axl Rose to be a far bigger asshole than Scott Stapp, don't you?

• Like 1

Just now, Towelie said:

You do know that most people consider Axl Rose to be a far bigger asshole than Scott Stapp, don't you?

Oh I'm aware. I just cannot stand Stapp is all. Axl probably is a far bigger a-hole than Stapp to be honest. I just greatly dislike one and love the other, thus the double standard :lol: