Bumblefoot has no regrets over Guns N’ Roses stint

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 0:40 AM, Silent Jay said:

He was awesome and did great things for the band. He fought hard, worked hard and kept us informed when stuff happened. Amazing guitar player. Still a big fan.

Agreed completely. You could message the guy on FB and he would actually respond. And no question that he made both Dj and Robin look like amateurs.

He was completely honest...until we flipped the calendar to 2014. And to this day, he really doesn't have all that great of a response for it, other than he knew Slash and Duff were coming back full time and just didn't want to talk because, he knew he would have been too honest and that obviously wouldn't have floated well with GNR. Oh well...

• Like 1

4:09 Bumbles response says it all :D:rofl-lol: 

:hahafyou:Ashba™ (Alternative nation will be running this story in a day or two)

Good interview, one day I'd love to hear him going a bit more into the detail... but I think he's probably too classy a character to spill the beans. if he didn't spill them when he was pissed off with the band, he's not going to do it when he's essentially over it. 

Weird that he isn't in contact with Frank or even Richard... not surprised about Axl or Dizzy though. Wonder is it just that he's out of the band and they fell out of contact or is it that they just don't want to have any contact with each other.

Regardless of the whole story, Ron is good in my book, always was good to the fans, answered our questions got ESTRANGED back in the set and whenever I met or emailed him he was always a gent. NOT to forget his great solo work too.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2017 at 7:34 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I'll wait til the new Cavilera Conspiracy album to come out when I want to listen to new Sepultura..

Super hip comment ;)

Sepultura are definitely hit and miss since Roots but they have definitely released a few very cool songs/albums... I don't listen to either party enough to have any further feelings on the matter. For what it's worth Soulflys later material was pretty killer (the early stuff was shite) and the first CC record was cool. I would love if the 4 classic members got back together though, because they could still make a great Sepultura record and play some good shows (even if Max can't really play guitar anymore).

On 3/23/2017 at 6:22 AM, Amir said:

He's a cool dude, liked his solos on Shackler's and Catcher (prefer his take to Brian's, as much as I love Brian May).

People give him shit for seeming like a drama queen but I think they underestimate just how much that car accident and the subsequent injuries and painkillers fucked him up. Good on him for making it through all that.

I agree 100% regarding the car accident. Ron's attitude about Guns N' Roses after the car accident really do show the typical signs of someone suffering mental and physical pain. I'm sure after an experience like that, he truly reexamined his priorities in life, and realized playing in GN'R wasn't one of them. 

I hold absolutely nothing but good will for Ron. I am not a huge fan of his solo work or Art of Anarchy, but I think he added some great things to Chinese Democracy, was a spot-on guitar player for the duration of the band, and pushed to have Axl add fan favorites like "Civil War" and "Estranged." Looking back on the final shows he played in Vegas, and the comments he made on here around that time, it seems like he truly stopped giving a shit and just pushed to play rarities like "There was a Time," "Prostitute," and "Yesterdays." The result: some of Axl's best performances of the decade (I'd argue better than some legs of the 2016/2017 tours). I wish him the best with whatever he does! 

• Like 2

Just now, Tom2112 said:

Super hip comment ;)

Sepultura are definitely hit and miss since Roots but they have definitely released a few very cool songs/albums... I don't listen to either party enough to have any further feelings on the matter. For what it's worth Soulflys later material was pretty killer (the early stuff was shite) and the first CC record was cool. I would love if the 4 classic members got back together though, because they could still make a great Sepultura record and play some good shows (even if Max can't really play guitar anymore).

Listen "machine messiah"...before anything...

1 hour ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I agree 100% regarding the car accident. Ron's attitude about Guns N' Roses after the car accident really do show the typical signs of someone suffering mental and physical pain. I'm sure after an experience like that, he truly reexamined his priorities in life, and realized playing in GN'R wasn't one of them. 

I hold absolutely nothing but good will for Ron. I am not a huge fan of his solo work or Art of Anarchy, but I think he added some great things to Chinese Democracy, was a spot-on guitar player for the duration of the band, and pushed to have Axl add fan favorites like "Civil War" and "Estranged." Looking back on the final shows he played in Vegas, and the comments he made on here around that time, it seems like he truly stopped giving a shit and just pushed to play rarities like "There was a Time," "Prostitute," and "Yesterdays." The result: some of Axl's best performances of the decade (I'd argue better than some legs of the 2016/2017 tours). I wish him the best with whatever he does! 

The final Vegas shows were a perfect performance from him. Also don't forget him bringing back Don't Cry

On 23/03/2017 at 7:22 AM, Amir said:

He's a cool dude, liked his solos on Shackler's and Catcher (prefer his take to Brian's, as much as I love Brian May).

People give him shit for seeming like a drama queen but I think they underestimate just how much that car accident and the subsequent injuries and painkillers fucked him up. Good on him for making it through all that.

Not just the car accident and the neck injuries and painkillers...After that, in 2013, he lost his father and also he discovered that he had cancer..These things probably influenced on his attitude and decision to leave the band.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I really think if the band had done things the way Ron wanted to from 2006, none but the most bitter reunionists would have had a complaint to make. 

We'd have had:

A rotating setlist comprising classics, obscure fan favourites (identified from forum chatter no less) and frequent inclusion of new tunes.

Fresh new recorded music on a regular basis, formed through real collaboration, either released as albums or as online downloadable singles.

Transparency and accessibility, people would know what was going on and why, when new tours and music were coming, when the band would take some downtime.

More than anything else, I wanted that Guns N' Roses to exist and the saddest thing for me is that back then I actually thought it was possible. If Ron had been at the helm, it could have been incredible.

i´m trully thankful for bbf being part of gnr. I Remember in 2006 i liked his playing but he was thrown in on a tour with a band he didint know and you could tell live, because his stage presence was all over the place, the guitars he used werent a great fit and his solos werent that melodic nor faithful to the original songs.

In 2009 he came to gnr as a fuckin beast! he literally nailed every single note, looked the part and was such a nice guy (he always was) but his rendition of dont cry is absolutely stellar, the way he can play any gnr song with the vocal melody and guitar melody  at the same time is beyond be me.

Im thankful i got to know him through gnr, im still a big fan, always will be and i keep watching the vegas dvd for his licks. And some of you should show some fuckin respect. he fought hard for us to hear estranged live and dont cry.

Super class act, love him. 

BBF you fucking ROCK!!!

• Like 1

More into it:

Thal said that he "heard things" about a possible reunion of GUNS N' ROSES' classic lineup prior to his exit but that it didn't have an affect on his decision to leave the Axl Rose-fronted outfit. "No, I was [already] done," he said. "I was burned out on it. I was. I was doing more harm than good staying at that point."

Asked if he has seen of the shows from the partially reunited classic GUNS N' ROSES since they announced their return more than a year ago, Thal said: "No, that would be weird, man. Would you go to your ex-girlfriend's wedding? It's kind of like that. It's just kind of weird. I know too much. I've seen too much. I've been on the other side of the stage, and it's not like it ended pretty — for me. I don't have [any hard feelings] now, but at the time, there was a volatility, yeah."

10 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Didn't he get a hard time from management the first time he played it as a solo at download?

I never heard anything like that, but then again I've only been following the band since '08.

53 minutes ago, Brownstone drum said:

Didn't he get a hard time from management the first time he played it as a solo at download?

The very first time he played it was at Rock in Rio Lisbon. He said everyone in his IEM was going like "what are you doing" and freaking out, and Axl at the end of it something like "that was brilliant".

He talked about it in some interview, forgot which one

3 hours ago, auad said:

Listen "machine messiah"...before anything...

...Nah! :P

Heard a few tracks, it didn't really catch me... but TBH I haven't really had much interest in the super heavy stuff lately... besides my Pantera albums obviously.

8 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Super hip comment ;)

Roots is were they lost me... Sounded just like Soul Fly which sucked too.....  CHAOS AD and every album leading up to that is where the barriers were broken one at a time. Roots was them selling out to Nu Metal BS....... I'd be lying if I have said i've heard more than a couple songs since, H/have enjoyed CC though.. 

Edited by Tom-Ass

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

4:09 Bumbles response says it all :D:rofl-lol: 

:hahafyou:Ashba™ (Alternative nation will be running this story in a day or two)

Good interview, one day I'd love to hear him going a bit more into the detail... but I think he's probably too classy a character to spill the beans. if he didn't spill them when he was pissed off with the band, he's not going to do it when he's essentially over it. 

Weird that he isn't in contact with Frank or even Richard... not surprised about Axl or Dizzy though. Wonder is it just that he's out of the band and they fell out of contact or is it that they just don't want to have any contact with each other.

Regardless of the whole story, Ron is good in my book, always was good to the fans, answered our questions got ESTRANGED back in the set and whenever I met or emailed him he was always a gent. NOT to forget his great solo work too.

4:09 is just Trunk blabbering. 

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Roots is were they lost me... Sounded just like Soul Fly which sucked too.....  CHAOS AD and every album leading up to that is where the barriers were broken one at a time. Roots was them selling out to Nu Metal BS....... I'd be lying if I have said i've heard more than a couple songs since, H/have enjoyed CC though.. 

Agreed, Chaos A.D (especially), Beneath the remains etc. were great. I haven't listened to Roots in 10? years so, how it stands up I don't know, but I remember it being a bit of a mixed bag alright.

Chaos A.D was always my favourite of the classic era albums. 

The only album from the Max-less Sepultura that I ever really listened to was Sepulnation, and like Roots it's been years so I don't know how it holds up... but I remember there being a handful of great heavy songs and Derrick Green did a good job of not copying Max.

Finally, Igor is still a monster!

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 0:54 AM, auad said:

bumblefoot-and-axl-rose-ilya-mirman-phot

Ron ‘Bumblefoot’ Thal says he has no regrets about his time in Guns N’ Roses – but admits if he’d been asked the same question three years ago, he might have given a different response.

The guitarist joined Axl Rose in 2006 and went on to play on the highly anticipated 2008 Guns N' Roses album Chinese Democracy. But he decided to walk away in 2015 after spending much of that year fielding questions about his status in the lineup.

And reflecting on his time in the band, Thal now says the experience was “wonderful.”

He tells SiriusXM’s Trunk Nation (viaBlabbermouth): “You could look at anything and say, 'What if I took a different path? What if I did different things? What if I said no and did this instead? What if I just focused on my solo stuff or producing or film and TV music?'

“But your life is your life and whatever decisions you made, they were based on who you were, who you are and what was supposed to happen.

“So, do I regret it? No. Absolutely not. If you had asked me three years ago, I would have a different answer. But, no. I got to be part of making millions of people cheer and enjoy themselves. It's wonderful.”

http://teamrock.com/news/2017-03-22/bumblefoot-has-no-regrets-over-guns-n-roses-stint

SO NOBODY EVER TOLD YOU BUMBLE

HOW THAT WAS NOT GUNS N ROSES?

YOU PLAYED ON AXL SOLO BAND, BABE

GUESS YOU HAVE TO LEARN A FEW THINGS

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

Sounds to me like Bumblefoot does not care for anyone in the nu lineup. I imagine he's not the biggest fan of Tommy Stinson or Axl, the two biggest thorns in his side.

There is an interview in which he states that he was not welcome in the band by the others guys ... I think in some ways he always felt excluded. So, I guess, aside from that bizarre project with Pitman and Frank, he was never really close to them.

2 hours ago, bigpoop said:

I don't know, he might be a great guy like everybody is saying, but that guy couldn't be more opposite of what a GNR guitar player should be. He is so un-rock n roll  it hurts.

Agree. He's a kind of an anti-rock star.Somehow, it seems that he felt uncomfortable with all the devotion about Axl. To tell you the truth, I think he's a great musician but he does not fit perfectly into the GNR style. Without judging anyone, just different spheres.