Bumblefoot has no regrets over Guns N’ Roses stint

Anyone have the video of Bumble fucking with the Fernando or Jarmo or one of those kids backstage?  I think he was waiting for a show to start taking video with his phone.  He was teasing management and they were trying to not be filmed...they looked scared like "oh you're gonna be in trouble" lol it was funny...I can't find the video anywhere.  Saw it on some forum

6 minutes ago, trev said:

Anyone have the video of Bumble fucking with the Fernando or Jarmo or one of those kids backstage?  I think he was waiting for a show to start taking video with his phone.  He was teasing management and they were trying to not be filmed...they looked scared like "oh you're gonna be in trouble" lol it was funny...I can't find the video anywhere.  Saw it on some forum

The one where he's joking about Richard and Jarmo comparing sausage sizes? :lol:

22 hours ago, Mendez said:

The very first time he played it was at Rock in Rio Lisbon. He said everyone in his IEM was going like "what are you doing" and freaking out, and Axl at the end of it something like "that was brilliant".

He talked about it in some interview, forgot which one

That was it. Always liked the way he did his own thing and wasn't a yes man

I always liked Ron's genuine appreciation of the fans and fought hard to get Estranged back in the set, for one example.  Hearing all the stories of him and an acoustic guitar playing for GNR fans outside hotels (or something like that) and whatnot always gave me a positive impression of him as a person.  If there was anyone in the nuGNR lineups I would have a beer with Ron would easily be that guy

• Like 3

I think Ron was treated terribly during his tenure with the band. I mean, here you have one of the world's greatest guitar virtuosos in your band, and you make him share a stage with DJ fucking Ashba?? 

To be honest, I think Axl was spineless in the way he treated his band members back then. He had no respect for their own desire to be in a fully functioning, creative band, he just wanted bit players to play the part so he could do cheap ass Vegas residencies and whore the GNR brand for his retirement fund. Ron was too good for Axl's shitty faux GNR Vegas act and things aren't much rosier now, with the original band just doing more and more whoring of the brand, with not a creative lick in sight. At least Ron is a musician for the right reasons and has the motivation, talent and drive to create and release a constant stream of new material, be it solo or with Art of Anarchy (whose new album is one of the best rock albums of the last few years).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Sorry 5:09 onwards

I agree. The part that makes me cringe is all the Tommy talk...Stinson has said 80 times, and I know because it's been freaking posted in here every other day, that he had basically been trying to quit for some time.

What is so hard to understand Eddie?!?!

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I always liked Ron's genuine appreciation of the fans and fought hard to get Estranged back in the set, for one example.  Hearing all the stories of him and an acoustic guitar playing for GNR fans outside hotels (or something like that) and whatnot always gave me a positive impression of him as a person.  If there was anyone in the nuGNR lineups I would have a beer with Ron would easily be that guy

See, we do agree at times. I completely agree with every word said here!

Bumble is a great guy, I was a little bit frustrated with him just for not at least admitting that he quit GNR but, it's his own thing..

And TBH, I really always felt terrible for the guy. I think he really bought into what Axl was selling him, which was the new lineup. As tough as it was t replace a guy, who replaced a guy, I think he genuinly believed that in the long run he would have gotten something more significant out of it. And I think the biggest factor for him was just the lack of production from the band when it came to writing, recording, and releasing new material.

• Like 2

On 28.3.2017 at 11:53 PM, Towelie said:

I think Ron was treated terribly during his tenure with the band. I mean, here you have one of the world's greatest guitar virtuosos in your band, and you make him share a stage with DJ fucking Ashba?? 

To be honest, I think Axl was spineless in the way he treated his band members back then. He had no respect for their own desire to be in a fully functioning, creative band, he just wanted bit players to play the part so he could do cheap ass Vegas residencies and whore the GNR brand for his retirement fund. Ron was too good for Axl's shitty faux GNR Vegas act and things aren't much rosier now, with the original band just doing more and more whoring of the brand, with not a creative lick in sight. At least Ron is a musician for the right reasons and has the motivation, talent and drive to create and release a constant stream of new material, be it solo or with Art of Anarchy (whose new album is one of the best rock albums of the last few years).

I think each of them has their own standards and priorities. Way of doing things. You can't really compare Axl's approach to Bumble's.

And it doesn't just apllies to a huge band like Gn'R or Axl. Every artist is entitled to change their pace of delivery based on whatever bro. Or stop it entirely. Why should Axl change the way he does things? cause Bumble thinks it's abnormal?

No one forced Bumble to join Axl's band, he got paid handsomely for his services and was hired to help with realizing Axl's musical vision which is a slow and demanding process. Timeless takes time in Gn'R land.

Edited by Rovim

In someways I think it was a given that another GNR record wasn't going to happen soon. Given the problems with the CD release. As fans we have to guess but maybe Ron would know more about label interest in that. But obviously he would think his contributions were good and I enjoyed his contribution and CD. But each record with GNR is so unique and isolated that unless CD II came out by 2012 it wasn't really going to happen like that again. Then once you weigh up is this the best thing going forward, is the Ron/Dj album a really feasible option for GNR. Maybe the business realities didn't match up. With Guns it's always been they have the goods and the industry bends over. GNR has never begged. 

I just don't know if Ron knew what he was getting into. But I read he likes Kiss so he might have an inkling. I guess to him it's simple you create, release and tour music. 

I kind of think GNR, Axl are tangled up with the label. As Axl said he would liked to have self released more material. To me I take it like the label really decides a lot. The same bat time, same bat channel scenario never happened. If the label offered promo money/plan for a series of album...but I doubt that happened. Every manager seemed to just want CD out the doir so they could do a reunion. And that wasn't what Axl wanted. To fail completely without Slash, you don't have to be an egomaniac to understand that. 

Considering Azzof wanted Slash/Duff back to tour CD in 2008, you kind of have to think Ron was lucky to be involved in touring. And it's mainly Axl pushing the CD touring through with his band. He could have just done a reunion. He could have done HOF kicked off a reunion from there. But they kept touring and that must have been money for Ron, it's a high profile gig that must have really helped Art of Anarchy get off the ground. But GNR are a top tier band. There's more freedom down the pecking order. GNR are in this eternal fight to be hugely successful but never bow down. They aren't just happy to get the chance to play music, they want to make music how they want and be successful on their terms. That to me is the spirit of GNR. Instead of just rejecting the commercial aspects they fight to make their creative rebellion legit. That's why when they do turn up or release a revord it's like "they did it". It's a miracle and you know it's going to be good because they wouldn't take the easy route. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

Bumble is a great guy, I was a little bit frustrated with him just for not at least admitting that he quit GNR but, it's his own thing..

And TBH, I really always felt terrible for the guy. I think he really bought into what Axl was selling him, which was the new lineup. As tough as it was t replace a guy, who replaced a guy, I think he genuinly believed that in the long run he would have gotten something more significant out of it. And I think the biggest factor for him was just the lack of production from the band when it came to writing, recording, and releasing new material.

Yeah -- just a good level headed dude. Probably the nicest guy to ever be in the band. I bet he's probably under strict gag orders about leaving the band since Axl and TB know he isn't a happy camper. I'd take what Tommy says with a grain of salt given that he didn't like Ron. Tommy is also tight with Axl and is probably set for life financially from his days in GnR. He doesn't need a gag order -- the dude had a great experience with GnR. He was unemployed before GnR iirc. Going from Ron's words, it looks like DJ was booted out but allowed to save face by claiming he could have still been in the band. It's laughable to think this clown would ever share the same stage with Slash. But then again, it was a laughable thought to even think he would be hired as the lead guitarist for GnR. 

I actually feel bad for a lot of these guys like Bucket, Finck, Ron, etc. Imagine these talented, in-demand players making the decision to join Guns and expecting Axl to take over the world with GnR 2.0 only to realize that they've been set up to lose. No new music and becoming glorified touring musicians playing 30 year old songs night after night. Sometimes money just isn't enough to stay when you're that talented.

For the life of me, I'll never understand Axl. The common thread from Slash to Bucket was basically them sitting in the rehearsal studio bored and frustrated...waiting for Axl to show up. He never showed up. And when he did, it was too little, too late.

20 minutes ago, wasted said:

But they kept touring and that must have been money for Ron, it's a high profile gig that must have really helped Art of Anarchy get off the ground.

In my opinion, I think the inclusion of Scott Weiland and Scott Stapp (and to a lesser degree John Moyer) is what helped Art of Anarchy get off the ground more so than Bumblefoot being in it. I think Bumblefoot is still mostly unknown to almost all people. Plus it doesn't seem like Bumblefoot needed any label money to make the record, since he recorded the band in his own studio in 2013, apart from Weiland, who just sent his tracks over. Although, I will say that with the high profileness of being in new GNR he might have at least made more connections.

17 minutes ago, Mendez said:

In my opinion, I think the inclusion of Scott Weiland and Scott Stapp (and to a lesser degree John Moyer) is what helped Art of Anarchy get off the ground more so than Bumblefoot being in it. I think Bumblefoot is still mostly unknown to almost all people. Plus it doesn't seem like Bumblefoot needed any label money to make the record, since he recorded the band in his own studio in 2013, apart from Weiland, who just sent his tracks over. Although, I will say that with the high profileness of being in new GNR he might have at least made more connections.

Yeah I think that's more what I meant, helped Ron get into that situation where a big singer would join his band. Helps form AOA. Must help with the label somewhere too. The ex-GNR guitarist tag must help just selling his music too. He was making connections in hair metal. 

The new AOA is the first hard rock type album I"ve been excited to hear for a while. I might even buy it. 

I think without Ron's stint in GNR he wouldn't be making these kinds of albums with so much light on them. 

To me it would have been perfect to go the next step and make a record with Ron and Dj, it would have been against the grain. But the train seems to stop where the art and money crash. I have this weird idea that if the label let them put out the Beavan industrial record Axl might have waved the money. But once you want it a certain way the price goes up. Just a theory. It's like the art of money business model. 

• Like 1

It's clear that GNR has boosted the profile of Ron. However, Ron really doesn't use the Guns name all that much for exposure, he'll answer questions but does he bring it up outside of that context? I haven't seen him say much. If he wanted he could be MUCH more well known, all he would need to do is open the lid and let some info out on the running of the band, Axl/management and he would be all over music news. I'm glad he doesn't though! and IF he did it would totally overshadow anything else he would have to say about Art Of Anarchy, just like when DJ or Tommy talk about Guns, the headline isn't "great new Sixx AM record, people can't wait to hear it" It's always 'what did he say about GNR or Axl.

I'm surprised Ron lasted as long as he did in GNR, he was unhappy for a long time. It was clear as day, how many times did he talk about how great he thought the band was and how much fun it would be to get in a room and make some music OR the idea of recording one or two songs in between legs of tours and then releasing and playing them on the next run? The guy just wanted to be creative! if he was let off his leash even a slight bit there is a really good chance he would still be in the band and this whole semi reunion wouldn't have taken place. Personally, It's great to see Slash/duff up there again, but I was really curious about the Guns record the 2009-2014 band would/could have made... especially Rons contributions. Obviously wasn't to be though. MAYBE we'll get a new record in the next 5 years from the current GNR, maybe not though. 

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

It's clear that GNR has boosted the profile of Ron. However, Ron really doesn't use the Guns name all that much for exposure, he'll answer questions but does he bring it up outside of that context? I haven't seen him say much. If he wanted he could be MUCH more well known, all he would need to do is open the lid and let some info out on the running of the band, Axl/management and he would be all over music news. I'm glad he doesn't though! and IF he did it would totally overshadow anything else he would have to say about Art Of Anarchy, just like when DJ or Tommy talk about Guns, the headline isn't "great new Sixx AM record, people can't wait to hear it" It's always 'what did he say about GNR or Axl.

I'm surprised Ron lasted as long as he did in GNR, he was unhappy for a long time. It was clear as day, how many times did he talk about how great he thought the band was and how much fun it would be to get in a room and make some music OR the idea of recording one or two songs in between legs of tours and then releasing and playing them on the next run? The guy just wanted to be creative! if he was let off his leash even a slight bit there is a really good chance he would still be in the band and this whole semi reunion wouldn't have taken place. Personally, It's great to see Slash/duff up there again, but I was really curious about the Guns record the 2009-2014 band would/could have made... especially Rons contributions. Obviously wasn't to be though. MAYBE we'll get a new record in the next 5 years from the current GNR, maybe not though. 

I think one of the problems Ron had in GN'R was he didn't take shit from anyone and from a few accounts he got a lot of that when he joined the band and it only ended when he pulled a knife.

I think Ron and Axl probably butted heads on a few things, reading between the lines, from what he's said recently about Axl feeling like a "friend sometimes and a enemy at other times" and it ran it's course. He's a great guitar player and was great with the fans, but he's from different stock, he's very DIY and releases a lot stuff and does it very quickly. Take Axl out of the picture and that's still not that easy to do in a band as big as GN'R, contracted to a major label, like Universal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Billsfan said:

I really bought into it too... That's why the band's dead to me now.

• Like 1

I totally agree with that!  And for Ron and even Tommy I do wish that there was more to show for their tenure in GNR than just one overhyped album and tons of touring lol, and Ron especially seemed to be pretty jaded with it all by the time he ended up leaving

I agree. The part that makes me cringe is all the Tommy talk...Stinson has said 80 times, and I know because it's been freaking posted in here every other day, that he had basically been trying to quit for some time.

What is so hard to understand Eddie?!?!

I'm with you, but I'd take Eddie over Stern any day. I love the Howard Stern show, but he doesn't let people speak, cuts them off constantly. Great show, but I don't know where he got this rep of being a great interviewer from, I just don't see it. Kurt Loader was great in my opinion.

Edited by MADDOGJONES

2 hours ago, Mendez said:

If anything, that association probably hurts more than helps. I don't see Ron or any of the other ex-nuguns alumni bringing up the GnR association aside from DJ. Most of the ex-gunners are talented in their own right and can do their thing without name dropping GnR. DJ Ashba on the other hand...:facepalm:

Nu-Gnr is seen as a joke by most fans and critics. I don't think this band was held in high regard by other musicians towards the end. Why else would Axl be settling for third stringers like DJ Ashba after initially roping in talent like Freese and Buckethead? They were basically a touring band and Chinese Democracy was perceived as a solo album by *most*, not a collective effort. If anyone else is even perceived to be associated with that album, it's probably Buckethead. Nu Guns may have been sold as a collaborative effort and maybe it even was -- but the end result has reduced all these players to session musicians in the end. People who are basically delivering Axl's vision for Chinese Democracy - not contributing meaningful ideas of their own.

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I the idea is that through working with GNR he got to rub shoulders with people in that scene, he got experience in that genre, he has the tag GNR in interviews. That is just an opportunity. I'm not sure it guarantees success or even meant he needed it to do it. But I got the Little and AOA records and he had some sort of profile which if you are building a career might help. He's bouncing from one project to the next. I was following, others might be too. 

Ron was probably the most frustrated because to him it wasn't just a job. Some of them were seassion guys, some just sort vets of the industry. It's a lifestyle and pay check but for Ron or Bucket they just need to be creating all the time. 

Ron seems glutton for punishment or he does like the band dynamic if he can just do it, write songs be creative in a situation. The nostalgia tour market just isn't where I would expect to see him. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1