The True Story Behind the Greatest Hits Album,

This week I'm looking at the Greatest Hits Album and the Controversy surrounding it. Since it's the anniversary of the album i thought it would be a good time to look back at it. Seems like there wasn't much excitement from GNR fanbase over this release due to missing tracks like Estranged

• Like 2

It probably sold more in 2008 than CD itself :lol:

I don't even know which songs are in it. Have zero interest in it. I'm just glad there weren't Axl overdubs done for this.

The only likely new release from GNR is another GH type of album, maybe attached to a new blu-ray or something.

There won't be new songs, there won't be b-sides, demos, any cool stuff that the fans would pay lots of money to have. There won't be nothing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -W.A.R- said:

There was supposed to be a 2 disc Greatest Hits in 2006.

"Welcome To The Jungle: The Very Best of Guns N' Roses"

Was gonna be released on December 20th, 2005. I used to have the artwork on my old computer...thankfully they realized how stupid that would've been. 

Edit: Jk, I just found it from this thread from my friend, @Wagszilla

PfbHnwM.jpg

Edited by Crazyman

Greatest Hits album was garbage. Should have never included Ain't It Fun, SIDHY and Sympathy to begin with and LALD and KOHD should have been cut because they're damn covers. So there's only 9 Guns tracks, and its missing songs such as Estranged, ISE/Brownstone, and Nightrain (which is a crime within itself). 

I kinda wish the Best Of planned for 2006 came out in 2010/11. It looked pretty good and they could have stuck some extra CD tracks on their as a reason to tour again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I actually disagree.

Very Best Of's were en vogue at the time, a logical extension of bands who had Greatest Hits that extended to more than one album.

The release was scheduled for Holiday 2005 with the planned release of Chinese Democracy for 2006. It would've been the first step in re-igniting the fire in the GNR money train. 

It would've been good branding by using the 2006 logo and helped introduce the new band. 

Who knows what happened exactly explaining why it wasn't released.

A "Best Of" featuring many of the same songs from a "Greatest Hits" released a year and a half prior? I mean, the (old) band only released ~63 studio tracks, with ~20 of them being cover songs...there would've been a flood in GnR packages and GnR related releases, especially if CD came out soon afterwards (and VR, etc). 

Not tying To be a wise guy, but why do GnR fans buy or even care about these kind of albums?

All of us already own every GnR song ever released. Putting 10-15 of the most popular ones together on a album....casual fans who just want the hits from a band, I get that. But all of us already own SCOM and Estranged. Why do we need them side by side on a greatest hits or best of?

• Like 2

In 2004, people were already burning copies of their own "GNR Greatest Hits" but I guess a lot of people still wanted storebought copies. 

The lawsuit was a losing battle because hits and live albums were part of the recording contract. 

Sometimes a hits collection can hurt a back catalog, It probably hurt UYI I & 2 more than AFD. Estranged was nowhere as big as November Rain. 

I have to wonder what Axl's reaction was when he got the RIAA platinum award for Greatest Hits. 

Cheetah Chrome said GNR sales were a huge cash injection for him. Bob Dylan and Paul McCartney make so much money in publishing and their back catalogs that they probably didn't notice.