GEFFEN Records Relaunches, What are the Chances They Will Sign GN'R?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2017/03/23/legendary-label-geffen-records-relaunches-after-disappearing/#59efa4a27442

With GN'R "reuniting" last year, and still hot in the market, Geffen should throw money their way, and ask them to make a new album. With their history together, this will be beneficial for both brands!

• Like 1

Axl doesn't like contracts haha his will be something like "release three albums in 7 years, 2 blu ray/DVD releases, make 5 tv/radio/magazine appearances, 100 live shows...contract is worth $20,000,000 over 7 years if terms are reached. If terms are not reached contract is void" 

then Axl will counter with "0 albums, 0 dvd's, 0 interviews, 400 live shows supporting Chinese Democracy for $100,000,000 over 1 year...and I get to be lead singer of AC/DC" 

i don't even know if his current contract with universal is still active...I thought he satisfied everything from them with the Appetite for Democracy release or maybe he owes 2 albums still and that's why they didn't want CD2 when he tried to release it in 2011 Bc they favored the off chance a reunion would happen. 

Either way I see Axl wanting to sign with Sony or whoever Angus is with in order to get that album out. 

5 minutes ago, cooker said:

That is what I am curious about... exactly what is GN'R contractual obligations? 

I think he owes two albums and they didn't want CD2 in 2011 on the off chance a reunion takes place and they have rights to that album. Something weird like that...the Appetite for Democracy DVD satisfied some of the obligations 

6 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Axl doesn't like contracts haha his will be something like "release three albums in 7 years, 2 blu ray/DVD releases, make 5 tv/radio/magazine appearances, 100 live shows...contract is worth $20,000,000 over 7 years if terms are reached. If terms are not reached contract is void" 

then Axl will counter with "0 albums, 0 dvd's, 0 interviews, 400 live shows supporting Chinese Democracy for $100,000,000 over 1 year...and I get to be lead singer of AC/DC" 

i don't even know if his current contract with universal is still active...I thought he satisfied everything from them with the Appetite for Democracy release or maybe he owes 2 albums still and that's why they didn't want CD2 when he tried to release it in 2011 Bc they favored the off chance a reunion would happen. 

Either way I see Axl wanting to sign with Sony or whoever Angus is with in order to get that album out. 

I think he owes two albums and they didn't want CD2 in 2011 on the off chance a reunion takes place and they have rights to that album. Something weird like that...the Appetite for Democracy DVD satisfied some of the obligations 

The record company wanting to save the albums GNR owes them for a reunion album actually makes sense and explains why they've been tough for Axl to deal with.  

I'm sure there's been some legal battles over whether Axl's GNR was what the record company signed up for.

Edited by Modano09

GNR's contractual obligations with respect to new music are as good a guess to anyone I believe.  Other than Axl, his management, and record execs, i don't think anyone has any idea as to where GNR stands.  

If I were to wager a guess, I would speculate that GNR and Interscope still have an informal relationship whereby should Axl wish to release a new album they would have first right at refusal.  If anything, it's likely both sides have agreed to stay out of each other's business until the band legitimately wants to put something out there.  Sort of a, "call us when you have something, but don't expect much from us until that happens" kind of deal.  

I do believe that any previous agreement has been renegotiated, but as to what that means with respect to any obligations is far from clear.  

If I recall, I believe even Axl wasn't even 100 percent sure where he and the band stood back in 2012/2013.  

What I can say with some certainty (not with any inside information, just using logic), is that should Axl, Duff, and Slash wish produce a new GNR album a company like Universal/Interscope would absolutely wish to be associated with it.  A GNR album would still sell more product than 99 percent of the artists out there.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Maybe Axl is trying to make enough money on this tour to buy himself/Guns N Roses out of Interscope...what a twist that would be 

Doubtful.  I honestly believe that the release of Chinese Democracy (and the long road it took to get there) burned Axl out completely in terms of taking actual steps towards finishing and, get this, RELEASING whatever else they have.

You'd think having Slash back in the fold would be a 'no brainer' as to getting him to record on those tracks, like, yesterday and putting out a record to support the rest of the touring.  But alas, unless they're doing some top secret recording right now it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.

A lot of people say that Slash won't stick around if there's no new music.  I tend to disagree.  He's likely making better money than he's seen since he left the band in 1996, and not only that, he has his "legacy" back now that he's a part of GNR again.  Something I'm sure he was missing and resentful to be missing out on these past years. He'll likely stay as long as they keep announcing new tour legs, unfortunately.  Unfortunate because he's involvement (or lack therof) could be the key to getting an album sooner than later.

4 hours ago, Modano09 said:

The record company wanting to save the albums GNR owes them for a reunion album actually makes sense and explains why they've been tough for Axl to deal with.  

I'm sure there's been some legal battles over whether Axl's GNR was what the record company signed up for.

That might be the case. If they aren't under contract with a label  they probably prefer to release it on there own . Like Slash & Motley have done

I think this is not a casual thing.  Gnr got back and geffen is kinda doing the same.

Gnr obviusly dont have any record contract or whatever, so im pretty sure this "geffen label new life" is a really good news for gnr fans ( and honestly, music in general).  

I mean it. We must get ready for a lot of things.. Wonderfull things. 

37 minutes ago, SEPTEM said:

I mean it. We must get ready for a lot of things.. Wonderfull things. 

I will get ready when I see on one of the social medias related to the band something like "NEW ALBUM IN XX-XX-XXXX"

Edited by cqleonardo
  • Like 2

It would be great!

17 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hughmcintyre/2017/03/23/legendary-label-geffen-records-relaunches-after-disappearing/#59efa4a27442

With GN'R "reuniting" last year, and still hot in the market, Geffen should throw money their way, and ask them to make a new album. With their history together, this will be beneficial for both brands!

• Like 2

Guns don't even need a label anymore. With the amount of money they would've made by the time this tour is over, they could easily fund a new album and self distribute it without making so much as a dent in their earnings. Plus even in today's musical climate, there would be so much interest in a GN'R reunion album that they would definitely make more than a decent profit from it.

I know its not a new label and that its an arm of an already operational conglomerate, but 'launching' a record label in 2017 seems weird.  Kinda reminds me of the TV show The Office where they are a paper company in the digital age.

I haven't been paying much attention to industry stuff for a number of years, can any one fill me in - are 360 deals still a common thing?   (Being deals where not only records but touring, merch and everything is in one contract).

Edited by soon
forgot what year it is!!!