Favorite guitar players

pbj_jam

41 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

me too :)

Billy Gibbons is a badass, one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard alongside Leslie West of Mountain. I used to think EVH had the most distinctive/phattest tone then I realised it wasn't too different from what Leslie West does/has been doing since back in the early seventies.

On a side note about Gibbons, any man who can wear that length of beard for so many years deserves respect. :headbang:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

Billy Gibbons is a badass, one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard alongside Leslie West of Mountain. I used to think EVH had the most distinctive/phattest tone then I realised it wasn't too different from what Leslie West does/has been doing since back in the early seventies.

On a side note about Gibbons, any man who can wear that length of beard for so many years deserves respect. :headbang:

it's the beard! like Samson had his hair for strength :P

On 4/5/2017 at 10:14 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Everyday John Frusciante is becoming more and more of an influence for me. The dude's amazing.

For me, I'd say he's the top notch best modern guitarist, think 2000-present. From Californication on, he made some beautiful shit.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J Dog said:

For me, I'd say he's the top notch best modern guitarist, think 2000-present. From Californication on, he made some beautiful shit.

I like that he has a mental side too.  i don't mean all that junkie shit, i mean his kinda extreme artist bent that leads to albums like Niandra Lades and all that.  The idea that he'd leave a fuckin' heavyweight band with which he was doing some class work just so he could make his own shit thats kinda like, outside of the bounds of popular music makes that mad bastard so endearing to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I like that he has a mental side too.  i don't mean all that junkie shit, i mean his kinda extreme artist bent that leads to albums like Niandra Lades and all that.  The idea that he'd leave a fuckin' heavyweight band with which he was doing some class work just so he could make his own shit thats kinda like, outside of the bounds of popular music makes that mad bastard so endearing to me.

And the mental side also comes out in his playing. On those later Peppers albums, he wasn't just making riffs, he was taking the music to a certain place. Putting feelings into it. Digging deep on his guitar.

• Like 3

Man....

Keith Richards

Slash

Mick Taylor

BB King

Robert Johnson

Chuck Berry

Angus Young 

David Gilmour

Eric Clapton

Ry Cooder

Jimi Hendrix

Brian May

Jimmy Page

Mark Knopfler 

Muddy Waters

John Lee Hooker

Albert King

Howlin Wolf

Joe Bonamassa

Matt Schofield

Steve Cropper

Buddy Guy

Johnny Cash

Bruce Springsteen

Joe Perry

Ronnie Woods

Joe Walsh 

George Kooymans

Izzy Stradlin 

And a load more. All for different reasons. 

Most of my favorites have been mentioned already, but holy fuck! How has no one mentioned Mike motherfucking McCready?

Don't get me wrong, I know most of you here hate Pearl Jam because all they seem to do is write songs penned for the soundtrack to the most depressing movie ever (I think someone on this forum mentioned that a couple months or even years ago:lol:)

I feel like most people fail to actually truly listen to any of their music though. I mean like TRULY listen to it instead of hearing Alive or Black on the car radio once in awhile.

A young Mike McCready is by far one of the most under rated guitarists of our time. 

there is just something about his guitar tone that really stands out from Pearl Jams peers. 

It may be his subtle use of the wah, or his really muddy guitar tone, I really can't explain it as im not a guitarist myself. 

Here, maybe this can explain: 

This video isnt in synch, so don't pay attention to it. just listen: 

Also... this whole fucking song: 

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:19 AM, J Dog said:

And the mental side also comes out in his playing. On those later Peppers albums, he wasn't just making riffs, he was taking the music to a certain place. Putting feelings into it. Digging deep on his guitar.

His work on Stadium Arcadium is inspired.

• Like 1