Top 2 Surfer in the World (mis) uses Guns n' Roses recording of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" on his latest surf film; Song is played as he surfs the fastest wave in the world

South African Jordy Smith, ranked 2nd best surfer in the workd in 2016 has just released a brand new surf movie titled JUST NOW with some stunning cinematography.

The film shows Jordan surfing in some of the best waves in the planet including Namibia, Cape Town and Hawaii.

Jordan uses Guns n' Roses recording of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" on one of the best segments of the movie.

Song is great, but the song choice is not so great.

One can actually say that Jordy (or whoever directed/edited the movie) misused the song.

How come? Its kinda simple. The problem is that the song is played on a segment of the movie that shows Jordy surfing at Jeffrey's Bay, a.k.a. "J Bay", in South Africa.

J Bay is one of the best -- and one of the fastest -- waves in the world.

Had Jordy asked anyone on this forum, its likely that he would have been advised to use a "faster" GNR song on this particular segment of the movie.

Well, at least I would.

The music really doesnt sinc with the footage (and vice-versa)

Except at the odd scene in slow motion

Anyway, the man seems to like his rock n roll... Movie is fun to watch...

Film is on the link below.

The "J Bay" segment starts at 8m25s

23 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Awesome. I was just gonna suggest It's So Easy.

It's killer, i hope the surfer guy sorted the rights to have KOHD on his video because they didn't with the skate vid and it was changed to a David Bowie song. The It's so Easy DVD version is abit of a collectors item.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

It's killer, i hope the surfer guy sorted the rights to have KOHD on his video because they didn't with the skate vid and it was changed to a David Bowie song. The It's so Easy DVD version is abit of a collectors item.

fuck yeah great edit

"it all fits so right" the pace of editing with the song!

i think they must have the rights cause i think its a red bull video so they must have everything covered

i wonder what would happen in the skate video if they used a bootleg live version of its so easy

one that was never officially released, like live in rio 1991 for example

maybe there would be no problem then?

(fuck i have been so long without listening to appetite that it gave me the chills to listen to this. fucking best band ever. hope they get back some day :headbang:)

• Like 1