Elton John: Never In A Million Years Did I Think Axl Was Homophobic

On 3/27/2017 at 2:55 AM, soon said:

Elton seems to be utilizing a tactic that is sometimes called 'claiming the centre' and Im fine with him doing so.

Claiming the centre means that you state that your point is widely accepted and assert that the people you're speaking with already agree with you.

Its only useful the you are clearly in the right.

Elton John is using Axl as a figure head of a group who are or were homophobes and redirecting them by saying that they never were homophobes; they've always understood the truth.

Because homophobia is indefensible many will be successfully redirected.  

Might sound unbelievable but it works incredibly well.  People are given a chance to restate their belief with their dignity intact.  Being entrenched in a point of view is sometimes the fault of many factions, not just the entrenched. 

Those lyrics and Axls initial explanation were homophobic.  

Axl having been assaulted while hitchhiking to LA is an absolute horror and he has every right to be hurt and outraged, but it seems that homophobic rhetoric is what he found to make sense of his suffering.  That is sad.  The issue is sexual assault, not sexual orientation.  

Personally I believe that homophobic rhetoric is all Axl had to express his pain, but that he didn't actually care if peaceful individuals were lgbtq.  He was young and uneducated.  Axl didn't mind turning that album in to David Geffen for instance.

Or

Elton is just wrong : being gay doesnt mean you are an authority on the subject of homophobia, especially if you're rich enough to live an insulated life.  Something tell me its been a minute since Elton was alone at a gas station when truck full of people playing One In A Million pulled in.

Wait, what? Elton John is gay?