Will a robot take your job?

wasted

I'm trying to decide where the puck will be. Advertising will be ruled by Big Data so I think my days are numbered. Generating random phrases that a rich guy selects from might not have longevity. What about you?

https://www.themuse.com/advice/heres-how-likely-it-is-that-your-job-will-be-replaced-by-robots-and-what-you-can-do-about-it

No one's worried? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_(computer)

I was reading about this other robot that can pick a strawberry every 8 secs and work for 24 hours a day for $0 an hour. How can we compete? 

There's another robot that is close to being accepted as a painter. And they are writing music. They are more creative because they have no bias and can try all combos in 1 billionth of a second. 

By 2030 50% jobs in America will be done by robots. 

Also, when you work online with automated systems they are learning your routines so they can take your job. They are starting to think. 

Edited by wasted

Not for a long time. We've toyed with the idea of drones doing my field surveys for me, but I still have to know what to do with the data. The robots can't get creative with that. Yet.

Fruit picking robots will be highest on the list. People bitch that actually enforcing our laws will make produce more expensive. They've tried paying Americans more money to do it, they don't want to. Well, here we are.

I'm a translator. Judging from Google Translate, I'm not overly worried yet. It would be nice to hold it out until I can retire, but who knows? For now, computers/robots don't seem to be able to grasp some nuances that humans can (or should :P).

I do wonder though, if all our jobs are taken by robots, will we all just get some kind of benefits? I mean, robots don't consume, so people will still be needed to do that. How can we if we don't have a job anymore?

Recently, I read about a restaurant that only works with kitchen staff anymore, there are no waiters. You just enter your order in a computer and it will tell you when to pick up your meal from the kitchen. Maybe I'm just getting old, but that idea doesn't really appeal to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wasted said:

No one's worried? 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_(computer)

I was reading about this other robot that can pick a strawberry every 8 secs and work for 24 hours a day for $0 an hour. How can we compete? 

There's another robot that is close to being accepted as a painter. And they are writing music. They are more creative because they have no bias and can try all combos in 1 billionth of a second. 

By 2030 50% jobs in America will be done by robots. 

Also, when you work online with automated systems they are learning your routines so they can take your job. They are starting to think. 

A little. Realistically my job will probably be taken over by a bot within the next 2-3 years. Maybe sooner depending on how fast the technology is improved. The reason why I brought up Tay in my first post is because I think she showed how far off we still are. (http://imgur.com/gallery/VhlAW) The intelligence is there but the human discretion is not.

Same thing with art & music. I started out as a Freelance MUA and then became a social media manager for a cosmetic company. AI can easily replace the social media side but a lot of being a MUA is just good instincts. Would a bot know what products to use for different skin types, undertones & textures? Sometimes you have to figure out those things just by touch. A bot isn't going to be able to do that IMO. And what about artistic individuality? Can we program a bot to have artistic expression? Or will all art become the same?

Basically, I think AI will help simplify things in the future but for the most part the majority of professions will probably be safe. Some things you just can't program.

giphy.gif

Edited by Kris_1989

I am concerned about this stuff.  

ATM, Grocery checkout machines, lots creeping in over time already, and Amazon Air:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Air/b?node=8037720011

People still need to make and repair the drones and the software.  But how long will we be needed to do that?  Ray Kurzweil, who is maybe a little touched, points out the reality of exponential growth in technology.  That each technological advancement makes the following technological advancement able too happen even faster and to be a greater advancement then the last.

Could AI learn how to repair, improve on itself and manufacture its self?  Could it learn how to teach and organize humans?  Could it seek to improve us, covertly even, upgrading us to its image of perfection?  

AI would have its starting point being informed by its human creators beliefs and bias.  So far humanity has seen fIt to allocate some of its greatest minds to engineering atomic bombs, ballistic missiles and surveillance grids.  What would the human input develop into as AI navigates the world? 

Anyways, back to the more concrete.  In my country this is what news is reporting, that about 42% of jobs will be affected by automation in next 2 decades:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/automation-job-brookfield-1.3636253

And that the risks to human disenfranchisement is great:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/automation-work-status-leisure-despair-1.4039467

atlas_SyCBwgD3g@2x.png

It's definitely not a trend that is going to stop or reverse.

Biggest issue with the automation of work as it applies to current economies concerns the transpiration industry.  I read somewhere that one in five or six jobs in the US are tied in some way to transportation (i.e manufacturing of transport machines, trucking, driving, etc.).  The US economy will be transformed dramatically (and I'm assuming, not in a very good way) if and when trucking companies use automated trucks to ship goods across the country.  Not only will this negatively affect one of the few well-paying jobs that don't require higher education, it will decimate the small towns that depend on truckers passing through.  It's going to get very ugly and something no political party or personality has an answer for other than offering a government provided basic income and/or taxing automation/robot machines that replace real life jobs.

Well computers do so much work now, who knows?

I think doing really hard manual labor would be good for a robot. Plus there would be no talking back to your boss. lol

but then again, if they have a brain that might be trouble.

Who knows what the future will hold for mankind? I think humans will become obsolete soon enough by our own hand.

8 hours ago, Lio said:

I'm a translator. Judging from Google Translate, I'm not overly worried yet. It would be nice to hold it out until I can retire, but who knows? For now, computers/robots don't seem to be able to grasp some nuances that humans can (or should :P).

I do wonder though, if all our jobs are taken by robots, will we all just get some kind of benefits? I mean, robots don't consume, so people will still be needed to do that. How can we if we don't have a job anymore?

Recently, I read about a restaurant that only works with kitchen staff anymore, there are no waiters. You just enter your order in a computer and it will tell you when to pick up your meal from the kitchen. Maybe I'm just getting old, but that idea doesn't really appeal to me.

No translation is over. They have an app coming like in 2 years. It will instantaneously translate all languages. If you are learning a language give up. That's been the barrier to chinese works taking more jobs through outsourcing. So theyve been working on it. Soon maths based stuff will be shipped to china. 

And staff in fast food places is over. There's already machines that can make burgers and shoot it out. The actual dining experience is still there. You know candle lit corrupt plutocrats in restarants made glass. High end stuff. 

Theres a machine in the subway that takes a real orange peels it and squeezes it in the machine and then into the cup. Across from it is a juice bar. The only different is variety. It's over. 

Anything routine is over. But they are improving hand eye co ordination too. 

But almost 50% of trading on Wall street is computer algorythms.

They have computers that can fix themselves and design new alogorithms as they go. So anything processing data in a routine is going eventually. The companies are investing in it fully. 

Decision making, negiotating, drug counselling is staying. Therapists will have a steady stream of people having existential crises. 

8 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

A little. Realistically my job will probably be taken over by a bot within the next 2-3 years. Maybe sooner depending on how fast the technology is improved. The reason why I brought up Tay in my first post is because I think she showed how far off we still are. (http://imgur.com/gallery/VhlAW) The intelligence is there but the human discretion is not.

Same thing with art & music. I started out as a Freelance MUA and then became a social media manager for a cosmetic company. AI can easily replace the social media side but a lot of being a MUA is just good instincts. Would a bot know what products to use for different skin types, undertones & textures? Sometimes you have to figure out those things just by touch. A bot isn't going to be able to do that IMO. And what about artistic individuality? Can we program a bot to have artistic expression? Or will all art become the same?

Basically, I think AI will help simplify things in the future but for the most part the majority of professions will probably be safe. Some things you just can't program.

giphy.gif

The bot will just get sensors then based on past successes decide what the best option is. Just like humans. 

Music wise they find the lack of inhibitions makes the bots more creative amd can cycle through what's already been done so it just churns out infinite options and selects varying degrees of orginality. The main decision is style. It's like to order. And it can mimic/ slightly alter vocals. 

Robots can write too. Especially like financial articles or facts. Can they have fresh thoughts about life I doubt. But some can design themselves and fixing themselves. 

Edited by wasted

8 hours ago, soon said:

I am concerned about this stuff.  

ATM, Grocery checkout machines, lots creeping in over time already, and Amazon Air:

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Air/b?node=8037720011

People still need to make and repair the drones and the software.  But how long will we be needed to do that?  Ray Kurzweil, who is maybe a little touched, points out the reality of exponential growth in technology.  That each technological advancement makes the following technological advancement able too happen even faster and to be a greater advancement then the last.

Could AI learn how to repair, improve on itself and manufacture its self?  Could it learn how to teach and organize humans?  Could it seek to improve us, covertly even, upgrading us to its image of perfection?  

AI would have its starting point being informed by its human creators beliefs and bias.  So far humanity has seen fIt to allocate some of its greatest minds to engineering atomic bombs, ballistic missiles and surveillance grids.  What would the human input develop into as AI navigates the world? 

Anyways, back to the more concrete.  In my country this is what news is reporting, that about 42% of jobs will be affected by automation in next 2 decades:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/automation-job-brookfield-1.3636253

And that the risks to human disenfranchisement is great:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/automation-work-status-leisure-despair-1.4039467

I read something like 50% of US job lost to automation in the next devade. UK 35% - robots can't shag sheep yet it seems. 

And outsourcing to places with cheaper automation is problem too. Also the loss of the local economy. A robot doesn't get a coffee. 

The alogorithms are fixing and designing themselves now on Wall street, big data. They respond to fluxuations. 

I work with automated software that asks me for information. Sipposedly it is learning my routines of writing. As in everyone working on it is just feeding it language options. Eventually it will have enough and just beable to to churn it out on a few keywords. They are "learning". 

Edited by wasted