Will a robot take your job?

wasted

But the last US election was decided about lack of manufacturing jobs. 

But we could just find new jobs. Not routine work but maybe designing bots. And even if there are less people employed or less jobs. People could just work less. Change isn't necessarily bad. But individuals may find themselves out of step or disappointed with their lot. You might train to be a para legal and end up working as a therapist. 

• Like 1

As a gas station attendant, ab-so-fucking-lutely. 

If I were CEO, I'd tear down the building, install a vending machine by the pumps, allow the pumps to take cash, and have a portable bathroom outside. 

Put some security cameras up and hire someone to clean the bathroom and inspect the pumps twice a day and profits would soar through the fucking roof.

35 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

If I were CEO, I'd tear down the building, install a vending machine by the pumps, allow the pumps to take cash, and have a portable bathroom outside. 

Put some security cameras up and hire someone to clean the bathroom and inspect the pumps twice a day and profits would soar through the fucking roof.

Im curious how you'd feel as the attendant who looses their job? How would you envision your future?

I dont think its out of the question to have a robot clean a washroom or an automated, self-cleaning washroom either.

As Downzys mentioned a guaranteed basic income for all could be extracted from the machines surplus wealth. Thats complicated though as the cost of goods and profit margins are related to the cost of production.  So if production costs are low and profits are being taxed to supply all with a basic income we'd be in a very new paradigm.  Only things thats easy to predict:  the basic incomes would be minimal as powerful business lobbies would fight against the taxes on robot profits and capitalism would enter and even more egregious stage of cronyism and charge based solely on greed and control of production.  Workers, unions, and consumer action are important tools in the current balance of power. 

Still, if it all worked out fine and machines worked to supply everyone with incomes, goods, thought production and services I wonder what we'd all do?  Hopefully really amazing things that make this world a safer, happier and healthier place.

PS: Greetings fellow Floyd fan!  Or should I say: Welcome to the Machine?!

On 28/03/2017 at 11:44 AM, Lio said:

I'm a translator. Judging from Google Translate, I'm not overly worried yet. It would be nice to hold it out until I can retire, but who knows? For now, computers/robots don't seem to be able to grasp some nuances that humans can (or should :P).

I do wonder though, if all our jobs are taken by robots, will we all just get some kind of benefits? I mean, robots don't consume, so people will still be needed to do that. How can we if we don't have a job anymore?

Recently, I read about a restaurant that only works with kitchen staff anymore, there are no waiters. You just enter your order in a computer and it will tell you when to pick up your meal from the kitchen. Maybe I'm just getting old, but that idea doesn't really appeal to me.

Heeey, I'm a translator too! If you ever need Portuguese translations give me a heads up. :)

38 minutes ago, soon said:

Im curious how you'd feel as the attendant who looses their job? How would you envision your future?

I dont think its out of the question to have a robot clean a washroom or an automated, self-cleaning washroom either.

As Downzys mentioned a guaranteed basic income for all could be extracted from the machines surplus wealth. Thats complicated though as the cost of goods and profit margins are related to the cost of production.  So if production costs are low and profits are being taxed to supply all with a basic income we'd be in a very new paradigm.  Only things thats easy to predict:  the basic incomes would be minimal as powerful business lobbies would fight against the taxes on robot profits and capitalism would enter and even more egregious stage of cronyism and charge based solely on greed and control of production.  Workers, unions, and consumer action are important tools in the current balance of power. 

Still, if it all worked out fine and machines worked to supply everyone with incomes, goods, thought production and services I wonder what we'd all do?  Hopefully really amazing things that make this world a safer, happier and healthier place.

PS: Greetings fellow Floyd fan!  Or should I say: Welcome to the Machine?!

I am fairly apathetic.

An economy cannot exist without the transfer of currency for goods and services. If we bankrupt people by replacing them with robots, well we are essentially taking away currency from a large majority of the population. Let's face it. It will be the large majority of people who lose their income.

Last time I checked, a robot cannot spend it's money on leisure and pleasure, so essentially we will be cutting off the transfer of goods and services for currency (because there won't be enough currency) to spend, which in turn will cause tremendous problems (i.e. famine, poverty, lack of social programs etc.).

With that said, I don't support basic income. It's an incentive to do nothing, which sounds great in theory but we as people, I think, are designed to be productive.

It's going to be a challenge. The younger generations will need to tap into their inner capitalist self. We are going to need to be creative.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, arnold layne said:

We're there already. Basically only the really big stations still have a store where you can get some food or drinks, and that's what it's used for. I don't think people still go in to pay for gas. It's all paid with cards.

1 hour ago, maynard said:

Heeey, I'm a translator too! If you ever need Portuguese translations give me a heads up. :)

Haha, will do :)

2 hours ago, Lio said:

I don't think people still go in to pay for gas. It's all paid with cards.

Wrong. 

At least in the states, plenty of people pay cash and change for gas. There are a handful of idiots who will go inside to pay with their card. I don't know why. I can get the exact amount I need pumping manually outside (to the penny nonetheless), but there are those people who don't for reasons I cannot comprehend. 

I have yet to see a pump where it would accept bills and change. It would be a good idea though in my opinion. 

They don't have it though  because they want inside sales.

We are just a glorified vending machine except with required labor pay.

Edited by arnold layne

Yeah I'm reading Player Piano for the Book thread. He totally called the 3rd technological revolution. 

I think computers were a tool and new jobs were made. IT boom etc. but robots are different they just do all the jobs. 

When I walk around I notice people are doing jobs that they won't need to. Once the cotporations decide it will be all over. 

But so what. I mean I'm sure the road sweeper would rather be home watching tv or studying for his robotics engineering degree. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, arnold layne said:

Wrong. 

At least in the states, plenty of people pay cash and change for gas. There are a handful of idiots who will go inside to pay with their card. I don't know why. I can get the exact amount I need pumping manually outside (to the penny nonetheless), but there are those people who don't for reasons I cannot comprehend. 

I have yet to see a pump where it would accept bills and change. It would be a good idea though in my opinion. 

There's social element we are losing. Banks I get. But staggering into a garage at 3am looking for sausage rolls is fun. First they take your money, then they take your life. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, arnold layne said:

Wrong. 

Yeah, sorry, I was talking about here in Europe.

We had those machines you're talking about that take cash and give change, but that was around 20 years ago. I haven't seen them in ages.

Think about all those people whose day you brighten with your smile and some kind words :heart: That's something a vending machine could never do.

Maybe if we go to all robots, people will start appreciating that again. But by then, it might be too late.

The corporations don't care about our feelings. It's probably 50/50. Sometimes the conveinence store worker ruins me buying gum. Sometimes the guy in Subways looks like he jizzes in the salad. If a robot made my sandwich I wouldn't have that thought. So 50/50 at best. But a robot erradicates chance. No one cares I'm buying gum. I'll just get over it especially if I'm happy about everything. 

But definitely that will effect us maybe. Our life might be so isolated. That meaningless bad experience trains us for other bad things happening. We'll have no training. A robot will fuck up and we'll be open fire in the Wendy's. Just because it forgot my mayo. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

That moment you realise all the Wendy's are going to burn down because there isn't enough jizz in your salad.

That will be the story that the chip installed in your head tells you.

"Salad Jizz Epidemic: Man goes Beserk in Wendy's again"

It's only going to get more trivial people. 

On 2017-03-28 at 4:44 PM, Lio said:

Recently, I read about a restaurant that only works with kitchen staff anymore, there are no waiters. You just enter your order in a computer and it will tell you when to pick up your meal from the kitchen. Maybe I'm just getting old, but that idea doesn't really appeal to me.

I've been to a restaurant like that. It was actually a pretty cool place. You do everything with their smart phone app, booking table, ordering food and drinks and pays. If you're ever in Sweden and see a "Pinchos" restaurant, head inside and try it out. There are hostesses that will welcome and help you with whatever you need. 

2 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I hope a robot takes my job. Retail sucks.

I feel like they already did here. Shops are shutting down because of online shopping. All that's left is luxury brands in malls. Security cameras can easily replace staff in shops. Cashiers gone. Maybe a couple of highly trained assistants to up sell you. 

3 hours ago, wasted said:

I feel like they already did here. Shops are shutting down because of online shopping. All that's left is luxury brands in malls. Security cameras can easily replace staff in shops. Cashiers gone. Maybe a couple of highly trained assistants to up sell you. 

Unfortunately I work in a gas station/convenience store. My job's probably not going anywhere soon 

7 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Unfortunately I work in a gas station/convenience store. My job's probably not going anywhere soon 

Why do ypu think that? 

From what I've read vending machines are taking over. Whether its that or just self service payment. I could see they still need one person around the place just keep an eye on things. But security pump maintenance would be the job. 

Anything routine is going. Not like next week or anything. 

• Like 1