Myles Talks About SMKC's Next Album and GNR

Singer Myles Kennedy, who has fronted Slash's solo band since 2010, was asked in an interview with Metal Wani if there are still plans for the group, dubbed SLASH FEATURING MYLES KENNEDY & THE CONSPIRATORS, to work on a new studio album now that Slash is off touring with the reunited GUNS N' ROSESKennedy responded: "Yeah, there's been talk of that. I think it's just a matter of when everybody's schedules can make it so that can happen. 'Cause the GUNS N' ROSES thing is going great. So it's just a matter of when that window comes."

Kennedy was also asked if he agrees with KISS bassist/vocalist Gene Simmons's controversial "rock is dead" comment. He responded: "No, absolutely not. I think that [the GUNS N' ROSES 'Not In This Lifetime'] tour is a testament the fact that there are still millions of people that wanna hear rock and roll, which is a good thing. I think that people have been saying that rock and roll is soon to be dead, really, since it started, which is fascinating to me. But I don't think it's gonna die anytime soon."

GUNS N' ROSES, with Slash and bassist Duff McKagan rejoining frontman Axl Rose in the band, began touring last year and has already book dates for much of 2017.

There's no word yet on how long GUNS intends to stay on the road or whether they plan to record new music.

Slash's second album with Kennedy and the CONSPIRATORS, titled "World On Fire", came out in September 2014. Their previous effort was 2012's "Apocalyptic Love".

Slash released his first self-titled solo effort in 2010. On that album he employed a different vocalist on each track, before settling on Kennedy for both touring and eventually recording.

Kennedy and ALTER BRIDGE issued their fifth studio album, "The Last Hero", in October.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/myles-kennedy-says-there-has-been-talk-of-new-slash-solo-album/

• Like 2

Honestly, if you read between the lines, this is how it sounds to me. A new Slash and Myles album is something they "have talked about," but it sounds like it keeps getting pushed back because of gnr. Myles DID say that Slash said "everything is going great". Not to mention Myles also said, "when schedules permit." Which means THIS current break IS NOT when work is going to happen, so the next Myles and Slash album has clearly been pushed back.

So I take all of that as, they want to do another album at some point. But it sounds like GUNS is Slash"a priority at the moment, which is a great sign. Honestly if Slash was trying to rush back to Myles to do another album, I would take that as a sign he isn't real happy in guns. Since Slash is NOT doing that, the GUNS stuff really must be going great, so maybe new GUNS music could be what's going on right now. The last part is just being hopeful on my part, but the rest of it is right there in black and white, if you read between the lines.

• Like 4

Of course he's happy with GNR, he's made more money in the last year than probably all the past years he was out of the band.

New GNR music is not what's going on right now. Let's be realistic here. Yes the reunion seemed impossible but to think Axl can make music again is just too unrealistic.

The guy clearly gave up as an artist around 2010-2011, he only invited Slash back so he could go back to touring and making a profit. A NuNuNuNuGNR with Ashba, Stuson and Thal replacements wouldn't fill stadiums (except in Brazil).

I ceratinly wish they would release something but let's try to be realistic here. Money is their motivation. As long as they can sell the tickets, they will keep touring. New music is not a priority and probably never will be. Slash and Duff probably want to do something but they won't risk their new partnership with Axl, who clearly is not interested in making music ever again.

• Like 3

It's not their first rodeo. They've released albums together before. One of the reasons for Axl's delays was probably cause Slash wasn't there, Duff as well.

At least I'd like to believe Axl can still accomplish great things with Slash and Duff. It's not a priority now cause they're touring. Looking at it realistically, I think Axl is capable of putting something together in 4 to 5 years with Slash at his disposal.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 4

I really can't imagine Axl throwing away all the songs he has lying around just to start from scatch because Slash and Duff are back in the band for now. So even if we will get a new GnR album, it's most likely not going to be a 100% collaboration with Slash and Duff situation, even if they play on it. So a real new GnR album with a more or less equal songwriting collaboration , which is what most fans want, probably won't be until they are their 70s or something IF that will happen at all.

Edited by EvanG

I'm looking forward for this album. I hate Myles voice but I love SMKC for the whole thing.

As for GNR, its impossible to tell. Yeah, Axl was in a dark corner all these years and seemed to have given up as a creative artist, but maybe it was really the lack of Slash (and Duff), maybe with these guys he'll fuel up and release something. He even said he wishes to release something.

Now they're touring and rebounding, maybe after NITL we'll see something for both acts.

26 minutes ago, Rovim said:

It's not their first rodeo. They've released albums together before. One of the reasons for Axl's delays was probably cause Slash wasn't there, Duff as well.

At least I'd like to believe Axl can still accomplish great things with Slash and Duff. It's not a priority now cause they're touring. Looking at it realistically, I think Axl is capable of putting something together in 4 to 5 years with Slash at his disposal.

I believe that too. Besides that, with Slash and Duff back in the band, I think it's a lot easier to deal with the label.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I really can't imagine Axl throwing away all the songs he has lying around just to start from scatch because Slash and Duff are back in the band for now. So even if we will get a new GnR album, it's most likely not going to be a 100% collaboration with Slash and Duff situation, even if they play on it. So a real new GnR album with a more or less equal songwriting collaboration , which is what most fans want, probably won't be until they are their 70s or something IF that will happen at all.

All the songs? They might not even exist anymore at this point. Axl completely dumped his solo project in favor of reuniting with GNR. To do so he was probably very unhappy with the material he had. Like, complete lack of interest in that era, that sound, that style, etc. I doubt there are any songs left from the CD sessions. Axl is completely over it.

With all thats made of Slashs work ethic and desire to tour, if he's not doing SMKC during this break does that mean he's working on a different project?

I haven't followed his day-to-day career for a while, so I'm not clear if he literally never takes down time?

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

I guess it depends on what you call rock.

To me it's not just the music (there's plenty of that), but the whole movement around it: rebellion against the status quo, scary, confrontational. Rock goes against the grain and defies the rules of society, it's rebellious.

And rock will be dead for as long as our society conforms to the norm, and it won't be back until there is some kind of big crisis to fuel a true artistic movement that will wake up these numb generations of apathetic individuals.

I see. I think rock is very much in the same position as Grunge was 1989. Hopefully it will once again become mainstream again. I think the genre is just too good for it not to happen again. I just hope I won't be too old when it happens lol

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

4 hours ago, maynard said:

All the songs? They might not even exist anymore at this point. Axl completely dumped his solo project in favor of reuniting with GNR. To do so he was probably very unhappy with the material he had. Like, complete lack of interest in that era, that sound, that style, etc. I doubt there are any songs left from the CD sessions. Axl is completely over it.

Maybe, but that doesn't sound like Axl. As a songwriter I can't imagine that from 1991 till 2016 he wrote so little music that all he's got to show for it is the songs that made it onto Chinese Democracy. And from interviews with nu-GnR we know that he has a lot of songs, so I can't imagine that he is going to give that all up. He's a sensitive and passioned guy, I don't think he's going to walk away from, most likely, a lot of songs just because Slash is back now. Of course it would be awesome if they released CD 2 and immediately start writing/recording another record with the old gunners, but this is GnR...

Edited by EvanG

2 hours ago, tremolo said:

it won't be back until there is some kind of big crisis to fuel a true artistic movement that will wake up these numb generations of apathetic individuals.

So I guess you're happy with Trump, then.

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

4 or 5 years?

axl, izzy, slash, duff and steven can write an album in two weeks

all it takes to do it is axl remove from his head the idea that he is GNR and also remove from his head his ideas of making whatever grandiose-epic-bullshit music that he seems to be willing to do since forever and go do some rock n roll with the best band ever

• Like 1

5 hours ago, default_ said:

I'm looking forward for this album. I hate Myles voice but I love SMKC for the whole thing.

bands release bonus albums with extra tracks, demos, at takes, outtakes, live versions, etc etc etc

slash should always release a bonus disc with fully instrumental versions of all his songs with SMKC

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

AC/DC?

GNR!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soon said:

With all thats made of Slashs work ethic and desire to tour, if he's not doing SMKC during this break does that mean he's working on a different project?

I haven't followed his day-to-day career for a while, so I'm not clear if he literally never takes down time?

Its not that he never takes a break, its that it never lasts too long. He's not the kind that is gonna sit at home for 2 years not doing anything. His breaks the last 10 years were between albums and tours. 

This two month break, he'll probably sit at home and enjoy his family. Its not too long of a break, 2 months go by fast. I wouldnt expect anything to be done during this break music wise.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

Its not that he never takes a break, its that it never lasts too long. He's not the kind that is gonna sit at home for 2 years not doing anything. His breaks the last 10 years were between albums and tours. 

This two month break, he'll probably sit at home and enjoy his family. Its not too long of a break, 2 months go by fast. I wouldnt expect anything to be done during this break music wise.

I think the biggest gap in releases and tours for him was between Snakepit 2000-2001 version to Velvet Revolver's debut in 2004. And even then most of the time from 2002 onwards was spent auditioning singers and jamming/writing with Matt/Duff/Kush and sometimes Izzy.

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I can't see Slash having a 2 month break with no music. He is ALWAYS working on something, his idea of relaxing is to make music:slash: 

• Like 2

Was listening to Wicked Stone and 30 Years to Life the other day, love those songs. I wasn't a fan of Apocalyptic Love apart from You're A Lie and Anastasia but I bought World on Fire off iTunes, great value for money with 17 tracks. If we don't get new GNR music I'd be happy with another Slash + Myles album (but ideally I'd love both).

• Like 3