Stephen King's IT (2017)

Yes, that is what I find kind of boring, King goes on and on and on, too many little details that in the end don't make that much difference. And then when we get some action it's over quickly. And the going back and forth in the timelines gets a bit tiring too, and it doesn't help my shit memory. Hahahaha.  But I'm not skipping over anything, at least not intentionally, though I do read over some boring bits, not really paying attention. When I notice I'm doing it I try going back but then I just drift off again. Anyway, hopefully I'll get through it soon. I'm up to Mike's journal entry where he talks about some guy with an axe (see, this is what i'm talking about, I don't even remember who the guy was and if there is some reason for him doing what he does or if it's solely IT's influence) killing people at a packed bar and no one bats a fucking eye.

Stephen King's achille's heel is the fact that he (seemingly) does not use an editor. 

He's not an author who favors brevity. He really likes to beat around the bush, play with his characters and put tons of sheen on the text.

This can be exhausting to read, but also really rewarding if you surrender to the experience. 

In books where the story isn't strong enough, yeah, the digressions make it much more painful. In IT, it mostly serves to make it much more epic.

The chapter you're referring to is the one about crazed lumberjack Claude Harrow. I agree that that particular incident doesn't feel it really merits the time spent on it, but for the most part, the Derry interludes set up a real pervasive haunted house vibe.

19 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

Stephen King's achille's heel is the fact that he (seemingly) does not use an editor. 

He's not an author who favors brevity. He really likes to beat around the bush, play with his characters and put tons of sheen on the text.

This can be exhausting to read, but also really rewarding if you surrender to the experience. 

In books where the story isn't strong enough, yeah, the digressions make it much more painful. In IT, it mostly serves to make it much more epic.

The chapter you're referring to is the one about crazed lumberjack Claude Harrow. I agree that that particular incident doesn't feel it really merits the time spent on it, but for the most part, the Derry interludes set up a real pervasive haunted house vibe.

I was thinking the same thing. Sometimes he just doesn't know when to strip down his books and he goes on with shit readers don't care about.

That's the main reason why I stopped reading his books. I love James Patterson's books. He has 2 to 3 page chapters and it seems to make you read more and I'm anxious to keep reading. A lot of authors I notice are now shorting their chapters now too. I love it.

I think sometimes King's movies are better because they cut out all the long in the tooth shit.

19 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

When it comes to Stephen King the movies are never better than the books. What are you smoking?

Yeah, you're right. I really missed the orgy with the ten year olds in the IT TV movie. The producers really missed a trick there. :lol:

The thing is, in just about every King film/TV adaptation there is, regardless if it is better than the book or not, there are ideas which just POP. Things that the screenwriters embellish upon that was never a part of the original King text.

Here's a few examples:

PET SEMATARY (1989): King wrote this film, so we can't really come down on him for not putting it in the book, but it made the film much better; Victor Pascow's ghost is a running character in the film. He appears in visions to Louis Creed and tries to reason with him on his path to madness. It added a much needed layer of black humor having this bleeding, decaying corpse there like a guardian angel. Not in the King book.

THE DEAD ZONE (1981): The ending of the film where Johnny Smith shoots Greg Stillson...and misses...When Christopher Walken is dying and he reaches up and grabs Stillson's hand and he sees that final vision of a disgraced Stillson looking at a Newsweek headline, before Stillson shoots himself. It was like the cherry on top of the cupcake. The vindication of seeing he accomplished his mission...Again, not something that was in the King book and you can't picture the ending without it.

I could go on, but you get the point. Very often, when I see King adaptations, even if they don't measure up to the novels, they have these really great touches to them that make me wish Steve was a little more clever, because I can't imagine the novel without those impressions. 

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Kris_1989 said:

I'm still on the fence about this one. The trailer looks ok but there is something about the new character design that just isn't working for me. NEDQCOeN8RTRID_3_b.jpg

Specifically the rounded buck teeth and brow prosthetic. This one just doesn't have the creep factor that Bart Mixon's Pennywise had. I also want to hear the voice too. If it's high pitched and whiney like I think it's going to be I think this is going to be more corny than scary.

this version of the clown isnt scary at all, with this "looking down" pose. far too cliché to be taken seriously. it fits right in with modern takes on classic horror movies though, but it's all too hollywood blockbuster.

"pogo the clown", the real life serial killer. now THAT was a scary clown. not because of forced posing, but because of the insanity oozing off it's appearance. you could argue that a real life serial killer will always be more scary by default, but still i think the creepiest images are the simplest.

• 4 months later...

Here we have the first real look at Pennywise in action, voice and mannerisms. Definitely different from Tim Curry's. Hard to say from this clip alone how great or how appropriate the performance will be. I will say that it looks like Pennywise's dialog has been heavily ADR'd, as the voice doesn't quite always match the sycning of his lips. I hope that isn't something that is a running problem, as shit like that tends to take me out of movies.

With all the tv previews I've seen over the weeks, it seems I might have seen the whole movie by now. lol

The more scenes they show, the more the previews are ruining the scary moments. the keep showing the kids and then there's the clown popping up. Those moments would be jump moments, if they didn't ruin it by continuing to show them.

Too many previews. It's ruining the scare factor.

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:47 PM, DieselDaisy said:

King's sex scenes are excruciatingly painful, stuff like, ''she held his throbbing member''.

Who the hell talks like this? lol

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Dazey said:

Yeah, you're right. I really missed the orgy with the ten year olds in the IT TV movie. The producers really missed a trick there. :lol:

God no. I don't even remember that scene from the book. Maybe I skipped over it. I know when King went back to different times in Deary I skipped ahead to the kids or adults. It just went on too damn long. yeah, we get it, this damn IT kept coming back and no one was able to kill it.

I actually thought some of King's books were great movies.

Carrie was awesome as a movie. I loved the Dark Half, it was like line for line of King's book. Misery was excellent too.

Like the Shining book better than any of the movies.  The dad was supposed to be changing into some kind of monster and none of the movies showed that.

I loved Christine, but yeah, that book was better too.

By far, I think King's books turning into movies were pretty successful.

The only book I've read of King's lately was The Cell. Haven't seen that movie and never read any of his other books lately. He just got too detailed for me. lol

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 6:25 AM, DieselDaisy said:

I do not see a lot wrong with the first It film.

Loved the original IT film and that was made for tv. It was very close to the book and I loved the characters as kids and adults.

Has anyone seen this new IT? Is it worth seeing?

Do you think they will film another IT with the kids as adults and going back to Deary?

On 9/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Loved the original IT film and that was made for tv. It was very close to the book and I loved the characters as kids and adults.

Has anyone seen this new IT? Is it worth seeing?

Do you think they will film another IT with the kids as adults and going back to Deary?

I just bought the original on bluray a few months ago. I loved it as a kid. I actually watched it not long ago.It is good but really kind of cheesy.

I believe the new one comes out Friday the 8th.

From what I have seen they have already planned to film a second part. Not sure but probably be kids for the first one and then be adults for the 2nd one.

In short order, it rocked!

I would say it got seventy percent of what it did right which is by no means a perfect score, but maybe much better than we deserved after being dumped by Cary Fukunaga.

Now with the other thirty percent:

Pennywise is very layered, interesting and labored, but the tension isn't there the way Tim Curry brought it. Tim did a lot of sneering, hissing and brought a lot of ferocity in between his laughs. Bill Skarsgard doesn't bring much ferocity. He just goes full Fright Night chompers, that didn't work so much for me.

The Tone: this is a tough thing to criticize because tone is so abstract and unique to each individual filmmaker. I just feel that Tommy Lee Wallace, coming from the John Carpenter school of emotion, brought a more appropriate tone to this material. The mini-series has a pervasively sad, almost bittersweet tone. It's not funny by any means, even if there are some cheerful sequences set to mowtown classics. The tone works much better in the mini-series because the sadness that lives in every moment calls back to the greatest theme of the novel: the feeling of childhood and when it is gone.

I guess for me, the tone of this film didn't quite work in a wistful way. I blame that on the score which sucks in my opinion.

But yeah! This film gets a seal of approval from Stephen King and myself. Bring your raincoat.

I loved it. Definitely impressed by Bill Skarsgard and Finn Wolfhard. Pennywise reminded me of The Joker in a few scenes. Especially when

It is slapping Eddie's face with his own broken arm

Definitely looking forward to Chapter Two. I think my biggest complaint was

the floating kids in the sewer and Bev being kidnapped and floating.

Yeah, just read online it kicked ass at the box office. I love when horror movies do well since they never get the respect of other genre of movies.

I would like to see it. I hope to, but sometimes I just don't have the time or the money.

Anyway, since it made big bucks, the second part with adults I'm sure will be filmed now for sure. I wonder who they will cast? Unknowns or popular actors?