GTX 1080

Dazey

I just got a little drunk and pulled the trigger on a GTX1080 since the price has dropped following the release of the 1080i. Anybody else on here running one of these and how does it perform? I don't have a 4k monitor so I'm only looking at 1080P max resolution gaming. My PC has an i7 6700 with 16GB GDDR5 RAM. Not running an SSD boot drive though so I'm guessing that might slow things down a little. :)

Edited by Dazey

Which one did you get? I have the 1080 FTW from EVGA. I had the 970 version of this card, and the 1080 is a big improvement. I'm getting ~60 - 80 fps in Mass Effect: Andromeda, and 100~ in For Honor; both games on max settings. It overclocks to just over 2ghz and I've never seen it break 80C, usually hovers in the 60s and 70s. I am playing at 1440p though, so at 1080p a GTX 1080 should pretty much annihilate anything you give it, especially with the help of the processor and RAM.

I'd recommend two things: get a SSD, and a 1440p monitor with G-sync, a 144hz refresh rate, and an IPS panel. It's certainly fine to play at 1080p, but the card was made for 1440p and can do it no sweat. It's quite possible your 1080p monitor's refresh rate caps at 60hz too, meaning you won't be getting the full benefit from using a GTX 1080. Do some more drinking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

Which one did you get? I have the 1080 FTW from EVGA. I had the 970 version of this card, and the 1080 is a big improvement. I'm getting ~60 - 80 fps in Mass Effect: Andromeda, and 100~ in For Honor; both games on max settings. It overclocks to just over 2ghz and I've never seen it break 80C, usually hovers in the 60s and 70s. I am playing at 1440p though, so at 1080p a GTX 1080 should pretty much annihilate anything you give it, especially with the help of the processor and RAM.

I'd recommend two things: get a SSD, and a 1440p monitor with G-sync, a 144hz refresh rate, and an IPS panel. It's certainly fine to play at 1080p, but the card was made for 1440p and can do it no sweat. It's quite possible your 1080p monitor's refresh rate caps at 60hz too, meaning you won't be getting the full benefit from using a GTX 1080. Do some more drinking!

Errrrrr, monitor? I'm running it on my TV. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dazey said:

Errrrrr, monitor? I'm running it on my TV. :lol:

Ah, lol. I don't have any experience connecting my PC to a TV, though it works essentially the same way as connecting to a monitor does and plenty of people do it. It shouldn't really change the performance of the card compared to using an actual monitor.  I would check to see if your TV can be set to a 120hz or 144hz refresh rate. Regardless though, your PC should be a pretty serious gaming machine, especially at 1080p.