Estranged on Live Era

I still think Axl sounds good on Live-Era so I'm not too bothered about 80% of it being re-recorded vocals. The main thing is the missing songs. Really wish live staples like Civil War, Live and Let Die, Dead Horse and Double Talkin' Jive were on there.

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I like Live Era because it's great to hear my favorite Guns songs with newer official Axl studio vocals. 

Same here. I mean some songs are a bit weird when they're constantly swapping between live and studio vocals but for the most part I enjoy the album. Axl's late 90s voice was different but good all the same.

On 3/31/2017 at 1:53 AM, jockethebastard said:

This has been on my mind since i first heard the Live Era record. From the first listen i heard something was wrong, and ofcourse Axl rerecorded most of the vocals for it as probably everybody knows.

The wierdest thing is in Estranged and the last "verses", why the F did he keep "Well I jumped into the river" and not rerecord that?? What went through his mind at that point. When listening to the Tokyo recordings that phrase is a somehow pretty clean compared to the rest, just like the first lines in Don't Cry third verse after Slash solo where he hits his nasal voice and then goes back to a more stressed voice.

I made a thread about this a few years back - that you can pinpoint the exact moment where it goes from re-recording to original live cut, and then back again to the newer vocals.

I'm assuming they kept it in there because the vocal take in '99 either didn't sound good, or perhaps he was struggling with reaching those high notes with enough rasp or something? Who knows. I like Live Era a lot as a fan because it's interesting to hear the "new" Axl vocals (which are now almost 20 years old...crazy!).

Welcome to the Jungle is another weird one where it will constantly switch from the new vocals and the original vocals. 

For example the verse after the first solo:

Welcome to the jungle (new)

Gets worse here everyday, you learn to live like an animal in the jungle where we play. If you got a hunger for what you see (original)

Youll take it eventually (new)

You can have anything you want but you better not take it from me, in the jungle (original)

Welcome to the jungle watch it bring you to your (new)

Sha na na na na na na na na knees knees, oh, I wanna watch you bleed (original)

Edited by slash23579
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, slash23579 said:

Welcome to the Jungle is another weird one where it will constantly switch from the new vocals and the original vocals. 

Gets worse here everyday, you learn to live like an animal in the jungle where we play. If you got a hunger for what you see (original)

You can have anything you want but you better not take it from me, in the jungle (original)

Holy shit. I just went back to listen to it and you're fucking right!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, slash23579 said:

Awesome! Will listen to that when I get off work.

7 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Interesting. Thats the only part in jungle thats mixing both vocals though, right?

Also the mid-song breakdown:

"Do you know where you are? You're in the jungle, baby..." - Original

"You're gonna diiiiiieeeeeeeeee" - New

It'd be a good song to do a line by line analysis!

Holy F*&k!!! I had no idea that the vocals were re-recorded!!! Can't wait to listen to it again now! Why the hell would he do that??? So it's not even live! Really surprised that Slash said it was a badass live record (or words to that effect) in light of this!

12 minutes ago, bc rich said:

Holy F*&k!!! I had no idea that the vocals were re-recorded!!! Can't wait to listen to it again now! Why the hell would he do that??? So it's not even live! Really surprised that Slash said it was a badass live record (or words to that effect) in light of this!

I mean, most live albums have some overdubs here and there to just touch things up. But Live Era takes it to another level; it's more like they used the live tracks as a baseline and touched almost everything up. 

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

It'd be a good song to do a line by line analysis!

by my ears it goes:

Do you know where the fuck you are!?
You're in the jungle baby, wake up, time to die

Welcome to the jungle we got fun and games
We got everything you want honey, we know the names
We are the people that can find whatever you may need
If you got the money honey we got your disease

In the jungle, welcome to the jungle
Watch it bring you to your

sha na na na na knees knees, oh
I wanna watch you bleed

Welcome to the jungle we take it day by day
If you want it you're gonna bleed but it's the price you pay
And you're a very sexy girl very hard to please
You can taste the bright lights but you won't get there for free
In the jungle welcome to the jungle
Feel my,
my, my, my serpentine
Oh, I wanna hear you scream

Welcome to the jungle it gets worse here everyday
You learn to live like an animal in the jungle where we play
If you got a hunger for what you see you'll take it eventually
You can have everything you want but you better not take it from me

In the jungle,
welcome to the jungle

sha na na na na knees knees
I wanna watch you bleed

And when you're high you never ever want to come down
So down, so down, so down, yeah

You know where you are?
You're in the jungle baby,
you gonna dieee
Watch it bring you to your sha na na na na knees knees
Feel my, my, my my serpentine
Jungle welcome to the jungle
Watch it bring you to your sha na na na na knees knees
In the jungle, welcome to the jungle
It's gonna bring you down, ha!!

(Italics represents the re-recorded vocals)

• Like 1

On 31/03/2017 at 6:53 AM, jockethebastard said:

The wierdest thing is in Estranged and the last "verses", why the F did he keep "Well I jumped into the river" and not rerecord that??

The only thing I can think of, is that there's a lovely note being held by Slash behind that vocal line at the end of the solo. Evidently, it would seem it was too much effort to remove the old vocal behind the guitar, and punch in a new vocal. The guitar was probably bleeding into the vocal track through Axl's microphone.

That all I can think of anyway :-)

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ZoSo said:

The only thing I can think of, is that there's a lovely note being held by Slash behind that vocal line at the end of the solo. Evidently, it would seem it was too much effort to remove the old vocal behind the guitar, and punch in a new vocal. The guitar was probably bleeding into the vocal track through Axl's microphone.

That sound possible, good theory!

8 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I mean, most live albums have some overdubs here and there to just touch things up. But Live Era takes it to another level; it's more like they used the live tracks as a baseline and touched almost everything up. 

Yup. Over the last handful of years when I have gone back and listened, I wouldn't be suprised if larger amounts than we have been dicussing were recorded - eg. using new guns, snippits of the re-recorded AFD sessions etc. Sometimes I get the feeling that its not just significantly large parts of Axl's vocals redone, but elements of the guitars done by nugnr musicians and for obvious reasons not credited.

No evidence that this is true. Just a gut feeling I get sometimes when listening.

14 hours ago, ZoSo said:

That's a great theory. It wouldn't account for all those instances across Live Era but in that particular instance I think you're right on the money.

16 hours ago, hudsonsaul said:

Yup. Over the last handful of years when I have gone back and listened, I wouldn't be suprised if larger amounts than we have been dicussing were recorded - eg. using new guns, snippits of the re-recorded AFD sessions etc. Sometimes I get the feeling that its not just significantly large parts of Axl's vocals redone, but elements of the guitars done by nugnr musicians and for obvious reasons not credited.

No evidence that this is true. Just a gut feeling I get sometimes when listening.

Would explain why Robin Finck can be heard singing backing vocals on Mr.Brownstone.

the funniest part in all of this is that the album artwork is all from the 1984-1987 era, yet almost all the songs are taken from 1992 performances and almost all of them have tons of re-recorded parts from 1999. Makes the artwork seem out of place, when you think about it.

Not to mention the liner notes don't say what exact shows each song was taken from, and the discs are labeled incorrectly....God this album was such a clusterfuck. Thank God it sold next to nothing.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

God this album was such a clusterfuck. Thank God it sold next to nothing.

It was the first GNR album I purchased, and I'm still a fan 18 years later, so not a total clusterfuck otherwise mygnrforum wouldn't have me occasionally posting :P 

I've not listened to the CD in about 17 years since I picked up the studio albums, but I'm definitely intrigued to now go back and hear all of these re-recorded Axl vocals which my noobie ears obviously didn't know about back in the day :D

Alright I just listened to the entire album so i want to go track by track and tell you what vocals I think were re-recorded on it.

1. Nightrain - all vocals re-recorded

2. Mr. Brownstone - all re-recorded. This ones a little harder to tell because Axl's lower register hasn't changed that much, but the way he hits those "he won't leave me alone" notes don't sound like the way he would hit them on the UYI tour. Also you can clearly hear Fick's backing vocals

3. It's So Easy - all original vocals

4. Welcome to the Jungle - mix of both, see other posts

5. Dust N Bones - all original vocals

6. My Michelle - all re-recorded vocals

7. You're Crazy - all original

8. Used to Love Her - all original until the last verse. This is probably the most blatant use of re-recorded vocals since the last verse of this song sounds significantly different than the first three. Not sure what they were thinking with this one

9. Patience - all original, but uses 2 different performances of the song

10. It's Alright - all original

11. November Rain - all re-recorded

Disc 2

1. Out Ta Get Me - all original

2. Pretty Tied Up - all re-recorded, except for the spoken lines at the beginning and end 

3. Yesterdays - all original

4. Move to the City - all re-recorded

5. You Could Be Mine - Mix of both. Before the guitar solo, only the "you could be mine"s during the bridge are original, after the guitar solo all vocals are original.

6. Rocket Queen - all re-recorded. Also no rhythm guitar for some reason

7. Sweet Child O' Mine - all re-recorded

8. Knockin' on Heavens Door - all original

9. Don't Cry - all original

10. Estranged - mostly re-recorded. It's hard to tell with the first half of the song since it's sung in Axl's lower register, but when you compare it with the Tokyo DVD you can definitely tell where some vocals got re-recorded. All vocals except the one line "Well I jumped into the river" were re-recorded in the second half.

11. Paradise City - all original

Bonus

Coma - all original

• Like 4

6 hours ago, downliner said:

It was the first GNR album I purchased, and I'm still a fan 18 years later, so not a total clusterfuck otherwise mygnrforum wouldn't have me occasionally posting :P 

I've not listened to the CD in about 17 years since I picked up the studio albums, but I'm definitely intrigued to now go back and hear all of these re-recorded Axl vocals which my noobie ears obviously didn't know about back in the day :D

It was the first GnR album you purchased? Aren't you the guy who hung out with Izzy way back in 1991 or whatever? Kinda surprised the first GNR record you got would only be in 1999 then.

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

It was the first GnR album you purchased? Aren't you the guy who hung out with Izzy way back in 1991 or whatever? Kinda surprised the first GNR record you got would only be in 1999 then.

I was only 6 years old in 1991 :P Met izzy in 06 I think it was

Edited by downliner

On Saturday, April 01, 2017 at 6:51 AM, AlexC said:

I still think Axl sounds good on Live-Era so I'm not too bothered about 80% of it being re-recorded vocals. The main thing is the missing songs. Really wish live staples like Civil War, Live and Let Die, Dead Horse and Double Talkin' Jive were on there.

LALD? They should never play this again...