Estranged on Live Era

I'll add that one obvious musical overdub is the repairing of Duff's bass intro in Sweet Child. That recording is sourced from the Paris 1992 show and Duff botched the intro. I doubt he went to the studio and re-recorded it or anything like that, but the first couple bars of bass intro were probably nicked from another performance to fix it.

They also seem to have cut and paste some guitars on Welcome to the Jungle. The licks in the third verse on Live Era are what Slash does verbatim in the second verse in the Tokyo 1992 performance. It's not out of the question that he did those same licks another time in the alternate verse but it's rather curious, especially since we don't have a source for Jungle. It's been of much debate over the years. Almost seems like a mash up of the Tokyo 1992 and Paris 1992 performances.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

The original jungle vocals are definetaly from tokyo

Yeah the vocals that were left alone and guitar licks suggest Tokyo, but since Slash botched the beginning of the second guitar solo in the Tokyo performance they may have filled in the gaps with Paris. The intro sounds more like Paris to me with the way Gilby slightly over bends the intro lick. God, what a confusing live album!

11 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Yeah the vocals that were left alone and guitar licks suggest Tokyo, but since Slash botched the beginning of the second guitar solo in the Tokyo performance they may have filled in the gaps with Paris. The intro sounds more like Paris to me with the way Gilby slightly over bends the intro lick. God, what a confusing live album!

the reason: isn't a live album.

On 4/11/2017 at 7:54 AM, axlweave said:

honestly you cant hear the rhythm guitar on Estranged from live Era either, Id rather listen to the new Xavel bootlegs they sound better and more raw

'That is because Axl deleted Gilbys guitar for estranged on live era.

Also the biggest bastardization on live era is patience they cut and pasted two live versions together WTF would they do that

Also, if you notice Jungle is a bit out of pitch. And yes, I can also hear Robin in mr brownstone (I imagine Axl saying to Robin "Hey mate, you wanna sing? You can re-record some backing vocals here:lol:")

I'veused audacity to remove the vocals and you can hear very very low what seems to be the original axl. In Nightrain for example, the final lines are re-recorded in a higher pitched voice than what Axl did in reallity (I would kill for a full soundboard of Las Vegas 1992)

Edited by fanfzero

3 hours ago, gnfnr2k said:

'That is because Axl deleted Gilbys guitar for estranged on live era.

You really don't even need Rhythm guitar on Estranged.. Maybe that is why it is one of the stronger performances the current line up does ;)

I'm only wondering out loud but there have been times that I've wondered if there wasn't some fill-in work done by the Robin Finck/Tobias Era.  There's some suspicious guitar parts especially in "ISO'' that aren't Slash trademark moves & the outro riff is played close to, but not like they've always done it with the classic lineup.

It's not that far fetched because that whole record is a lie anyways.  Vocal overdubs, mixing performances with other performances, AND not to mention that it was not too far off from when I heard the new band's version of SCOM for Big Daddy.

GNR fan since the ass end of the 80's, bought this live album in that horrible, GNR deprived time and fucking hated it.

I fucking hate it.

I love Guns N roses, but it's a shit live album.

You're Crazy is head and shoulders the best thing about it.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom-Ass said:

oh man, I LOVE that one... Fucking killer.. Was that from Tokyo 88?

To be honest I don't know.

Certainly at the time the album came out, I didn't know half the stuff I do now about GNR (no internet)...but that one just shines.

19 minutes ago, DR DOOM said:

To be honest I don't know.

Certainly at the time the album came out, I didn't know half the stuff I do now about GNR (no internet)...but that one just shines.

According to Wikipedia it is.. They did 2 or 3 shows and there is a GREAT bootleg out there  from one of them.. Here is "You're Crazy" from that.. Different night than the one on Live Era. This is really good too..

• Like 1

On 2017-04-12 at 4:04 PM, Tom-Ass said:

I like Live Era.. Most "Live" albums have been fucked with

Absolutely, but in this case obviously the problem was that Axl sounded completely different in 1998/1999. I'd almost argue he should have "gone big or gone home" and just re-recorded the vocals across the album in its entirety instead of the selective approach. At least it'd be a consistent listen. I loved the album when I first bought it, but these days I unfortunately find it distracting - especially on the songs that jump between vocals.

23 hours ago, fanfzero said:

I would kill for a full soundboard of Las Vegas 1992

Also, if you notice Jungle is a bit out of pitch

Las Vegas 1992 - The most elusive show there is. Yesterdays sounds amazing and is great quality footage, and Nightrain & Paradise City both good. Rocket Queen would be nice to hear the song with the rhythm guitar lol. All we've got is the Yesterdays video and that two minute snippet of November Rain. Plus Slash wears those weird orange pants

I used to play guitar along to many of the live era tracks and most of them are slightly higher in pitch that GNR's normal half step down tuning, Jungle is probably the highest pitched track on the album. Really odd and made playing along to them kind of a bitch since they were in between E and E flat

I don't even listen to Live Era anymore...because I was soooo disappointed back in 1999 when it came out that it was re-recorded vocals smh. I had just joined the Army and Live Era came out right after Oh My God did...I was so excited but then I heard it and couldn't believe what I was hearing. Don't they know the die hards HAVE ALL THOSE BOOTLEGS??? We can tell the difference smh. The ONLY song that's probably 100% live is It's So Easy... my fav from the album... and then the US got screwed when Japan got Coma as an extra track... man those were some tough years hahha