Estranged on Live Era

This has been on my mind since i first heard the Live Era record. From the first listen i heard something was wrong, and ofcourse Axl rerecorded most of the vocals for it as probably everybody knows.

The wierdest thing is in Estranged and the last "verses", why the F did he keep "Well I jumped into the river" and not rerecord that?? What went through his mind at that point. When listening to the Tokyo recordings that phrase is a somehow pretty clean compared to the rest, just like the first lines in Don't Cry third verse after Slash solo where he hits his nasal voice and then goes back to a more stressed voice.

1 hour ago, Italian girl said:

is it certain that he recordered most of the vocals? is it possible that in studio producers simply cleaned and tuned his voice'?

Yeah, you can see/him hear take breaths on some of the extended notes on the Tokyo video compared to the Live Era recording, and there's a marked difference between the spoken intro and most of the song.

Here's a nice happy song, kinda like a walk in the park... Sun coming through your window in the morning, and it's a beautiful day, and you've got nothing better to do than commit hara-kari

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

You can actually hear two Axls on estranged. 1992 Axl faintly sings "without you" and then 1999 Axl sings "without you" loudly immediately after. I guess they fucked up in the editing room or whatever. 

There's lots of instances like across the album that where you can hear the muffled out original vocals in spots where Axl might have added an extra "oh yeah" and little ad libs like that. November Rain is a great example. Surprisingly sloppy editing considering Axl's perfectionism in most other music recording ventures!

i personally think 100% although Axl's seemlngly involvement to retinker and improve the songs was actually a veiled attempt to sabotage the record in a sense and prevent his bandmates from profiting as much as they could from the record. This is so fucking crazy and i hate to accuse axl of this but the evidence on the songs speaks for itself

the album could've been 100 times better considreing GNR live during the peaks years is the pinnacle of GNR quality 

24 minutes ago, James Bond said:

There's lots of instances like across the album that where you can hear the muffled out original vocals in spots where Axl might have added an extra "oh yeah" and little ad libs like that. November Rain is a great example. Surprisingly sloppy editing considering Axl's perfectionism in most other music recording ventures!

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing a muffled-out Axl saying "yah" or something right before slash's second solo on Nov Rain

39 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing a muffled-out Axl saying "yah" or something right before slash's second solo on Nov Rain

It's all over that song. I think the first instance is literally right after the first line. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

I like Estranged on Live Era, it is basically as close as we'll ever get to a proper remastered studio version. 

Instrumentally it's pretty much perfect. Except for Dizzy fucking up one of the piano breaks.

Too bad the mastering is crushed.

1 hour ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i personally think 100% although Axl's seemlngly involvement to retinker and improve the songs was actually a veiled attempt to sabotage the record in a sense and prevent his bandmates from profiting as much as they could from the record. This is so fucking crazy and i hate to accuse axl of this but the evidence on the songs speaks for itself

What do you mean?