Richard Fortus: Within The Band It's Great - It's Better Than It's Ever Been Since I've Been In The Band

19 hours ago, soon said:

Does he always speak in such a cautious and fractured way, or just about GNR?  His pauses and dropped sentences make me anxious.

He speaks very cautiously because he doesn't want to upset Axl

17 hours ago, wasted said:

I didn't realise this was such an issue. Both Fortus and Frank are the best suited to old Guns out of the Nu Guns line ups. It was Tommy, Pitman, Dj and Ron that seemed more fiesty. Remember when Dj stole a police helicopter to propose to his girlfriend? 

Dj was wasted, that's why!! :lol:

Probably some truth to things being more harmonious overall IMHO. Whether by design or happenstance Chinese-era Guns always seemed to foster co-lead guitarist rivalries and turmoil (i.e. Robin v. Bucket, Robin v. Bumble, Bumble v. Dj, etc.). Have to think Slash's return as top alpha dog firmly establishes a clear pecking order- which is probably beneficial when you are spending so much time together...

Don't get me wrong I love Richards guitar work but I wish that he would be a little bit more like Stevie Young in regards of the new line-up. Slash is not the guy who shares lead guitar duties, unlike Robin and Buckethead for example.

Edited by Sosso

21 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Don't get me wrong I love Richards guitar work but I wish that he would be a little bit more like Stevie Young in regards of the new line-up. Slash is not the guy who shares lead guitar duties, unlike Robin and Buckethead for example.

I hear ya. I think it only works in this case b/c it appears Slash respects Richard [interested in working with him in the past, similar blues-based style (though as a studio ace- Richard is obviously capable of many styles), etc.].

Also, even though Richard is a more of a "performer" than Izzy (or even Gilby)- I think nobody walks out of an NITL show curious about who the top dog lead guitarist is. So I think the balance is still on the right side of the tracks...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

He did also let Dave share leads live in VR, but only for one song

Heres a proshot that cuts off a chunk of the solo. All the other proshots had shitty mixes where you could only hear Slash

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 2

Cool interview. I like getting interviews from band members. Even if they're unjustly hated by a small group of detractors. Didn't know he started playing violin when he was 4, guitar at 5, and Queen was an influence.

I remember in the show I've attended in 2012 he sounded great. He wanks too much though. With Slash, Fortus sounds even better. In the studio Axl should give Richard some room to highlight Slash's playing and do a couple solos on his own. He's been waiting for this moment for 15 years. Given these circumstances, I would like Axl to really use him this time.

Edited by Rovim

2 hours ago, Mendez said:

He did also let Dave share leads live in VR, but only for one song

Heres a proshot that cuts off a chunk of the solo. All the other proshots had shitty mixes where you could only hear Slash

That was fucking awesome......

6 hours ago, Billsfan said:

He speaks very cautiously because he doesn't want to upset Axl

Dj was wasted, that's why!! :lol:

Tommy, Pitman, Dj, Izzy, Steven, Ron on vocals and vicodin. Alt GNR could rise to power as Gin N Razors. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Tommy, Pitman, Dj, Izzy, Steven, Ron on vocals and vicodin. Alt GNR could rise to power as Gin N Razors. 

You're livin' on the edge
Don't know wrong from right
They're breathin' down you're neck
You're runnin' out of lives
Here comes the razor's edge

8 minutes ago, Sosso said:

You're livin' on the edge
Don't know wrong from right
They're breathin' down you're neck
You're runnin' out of lives
Here comes the razor's edge

The razor's edge! da da da da 

fortus could be a real member ONE DAY down the road if he writes and records on a real guns record.  he's a great player and performer and seems like a solid dude.  but until he writes and records he is merely the guy who replaced gilby clarke.  he's just a hold over from axl's solo band.  

but i hope for the best.  i could see a new ron wood chapter for guns releasing material with fortus.  like they should have a long time ago with gilby.  

21 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What if she likes everything else about the show enough to buy tickets, which she obviously did? The world is not black and white. Stupid assumption about her, if anything.

I think the stupid assumption is actually to believe it's absolutely ok to go to a show and blatantly disrespect whoever is on that stage in Izzy's spot...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

I think the stupid assumption is actually to believe it's absolutely ok to go to a show and blatantly disrespect whoever is on that stage in Izzy's spot...

You believe her intention with that was to disrespect Fortus?

What if she (shock) wanted to tell the band Izzy should be there up on stage with them? Unbelievable right?

And what's there to say she wouldn't be okay with Fortus being there aslong as Izzy was there aswell? Another two "great" assumptions made by people who don't know this person. *clap*

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Glow Inc. said:

People attending the shows in Vegas also carried a similar sign during the show. We've seen pictures. And we know that before Izzy signs we had Slash signs. It's free speech, that's all