One Year Ago Today, Something Seemed A Little Fishy At Tower Records...

Holy shit, one year... I remember that I was going on a trip to my hometown, I saw on twitter some stuff and didn't get what and why, so I came here and my brain started working so fast, my heart was racing and the rest is history, 7 months later I was jumping and screaming watching my first GNR concert ever! I love the story of the guy that snuck in, the last part of the OH MY GOD still makes me smile 

I have such mixed feelings about that day. I wasn't following GNR that closely at the time (was never a NuGNR fan) so I had no idea about Coachella or Vegas or any of that. Then while I was sitting in traffic I heard on a local radio station that GNR had reunited. They had misspoke and said that the entire band, not just the big 3, were going to be playing the Troubadour that night. They even went as far to say that there were pictures of Izzy and Duff arriving at the Troubador. :rolleyes:

I haven't felt that excited about something in a LONG time. My heart was pounding and I wanted to burst into tears I was so happy. At the time I felt like Izzy was retired for good so the thought of seeing him playing with GNR again - much less at the Troubadour - was just too much excitement for me to handle. Then I got home and read that it was just Axl, Duff, & Slash. Which was still exciting but it was such a let down to go from that extreme of a high to pretty low seeing Izzy & Steven not there.

I dunno... It was still a cool show but the whole thing was very bittersweet for me. :shrugs:

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 2

I don't know, that whole Troubadour thing kind of rubs me the wrong way.  To make a big deal about going back to that place, plus the whole GNR museum thing, when four of the people on that stage have nothing  to do with that history...it's just....t's just not right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

(minus those that were hoping to see the first show in Vegas :P)

In a way, we did. While I'd have loved to have been at that Troubadour show, it was a much shorter setlist and didn't have fans from all over the country (and world) flying in for it. Knowing what I know now, if you gave me the option to go back in time and go to either show, I'd go to the Vegas show. The anticipation, meeting fans from everywhere, still not knowing whether STEVEN and IZZY would show up. There hasn't been another gig like it. The Troubadour happened so quickly and secretively that it lacked many of the things that made Vegas special. Plus, as I already pointed out, we got a much longer set AND an arena gig.

• Like 1

I remember that I don´t sleep that night(Fkn´ time zone)! I was following some chick on Periscope and she was at the line in that Tower Records thing but she´s had no idea "what for" she was there...A lot of rumors that maybe they would give a press conference on the roof of Tower Records or play at Whisky A Go Go and then things began to be revealed...Anyway,was a very excited moment, a great surprise!

• Like 1

Still hate that fucking show. Pretty much ruined the major portion of my US-trip. And the fact that some people, who weren't even born, when Axl, Slash and Duff last played together, got in just because of proximity or because they knew someone, while long time fans were left standing outside, annoys me even more. And to top it off, that none of the footage was really shown anywhere.

I remember following the build up here in the uk and waking up in the morning and waiting for some footage from the show it was a great feeling. The pictures of the drum sticks making us wonder about Adler being there.  Then there was the picture of a 2nd keyboard just before the show started and that put a bit of a downer on it. But no matter what seeing that first bit of footage of Mr Brownstone that emerged was just amazing seeing Axl and Slash together for the first time in 26 years :heart:

Best day of 2016 and probably the past decade, no kidding. :heart: Nothing will ever beat the magic that was happening in the GNR fandom that night. And the following week too, what with Axl breaking his foot and all. We really went "well, they are the most dangerous band in the world, after all". That week was the best example of ignorance is bliss there can be - we knew nothing and we loved every minute of it! :lol:

Instead of being butthurt and thinking "oh well, Izzy and Steven weren't there, what's Mellisa's purpose, they gave VIPs easy access" etc, I'd rather think "This is history in the making, rock n' roll being revived even if just for a day, three legends, long lost friends on a stage together after all this time, playing the shit out of these songs." - well, at least for that night. I've saved my complaints for the rest of the tour. :P

I watched a guy (pretty sure it was Fernando) basically Periscoping the street outside the Troubadour with some sound coming out, and it's one of my favourite GNR gigs :lol:. The mystery surrounding it, the news breaking of it happening, the pictures of Slash and the rest heading into the building, and finally the gig itself, are unforgettable.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Juventino said:

I watched a guy (pretty sure it was Fernando) basically Periscoping the street outside the Troubadour with some sound coming out, and it's one of my favourite GNR gigs :lol:. The mystery surrounding it, the news breaking of it happening, the pictures of Slash and the rest heading into the building, and finally the gig itself, are unforgettable.

Me too, but it wasn't Fernando ;). I remember everyone thanking that guy in a special thank you thread on here the next day.

@Fededid us proud. the excitement was tangible, the build up, no news. Who was going to be in the band?  what was happening all up until the last minute. It might have been irritating at the time, but looking back it was played out well.  It was being left in the dark, the suspense that brought so many of us together, talking on the forum it would not have existed if we had been fed information. 

Good times, they need to pull something similar again. 

Edited by Archtop

I remember the day fondly! Some chick was perescoping outside of Canters the night before, saying there was going to be a press conference at canters, then they'd play a sh on to of a roof that night. Hahahahaha:rofl-lol::rofl-lol::facepalm:

It was pretty obvious that a secret gig was happening though.. and because there was still so much mystery with the band and question, and the desire t see axl rose and slash n the same stage, it made for a very exciting night, especially here on the forum.

Then I woke up the next day, and came right back down to earth... no izzy, no steven which shocked me even more considering the gig he cancelled on the same day, and a blue haired chick.

There were some cool things and some disappointing but, overall I'm more happy that it happened versus not happening at all. It's the lesser of two evils but damn... it could have been so much more

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Still hate that fucking show. Pretty much ruined the major portion of my US-trip. And the fact that some people, who weren't even born, when Axl, Slash and Duff last played together, got in just because of proximity or because they knew someone, while long time fans were left standing outside, annoys me even more. And to top it off, that none of the footage was really shown anywhere.

I remember seeing people perescoping and taking pictures with Fernando outside of tower records the night before and I remember thinking, how come I never got that memo and they did before anything was even announced?!?! I mean hell, I was living on this forum every day and nobody in here knew jack, half the people in here were saying rumors of a secret show were BS yet it happened and people knew before anything was announced...whatever.

10 hours ago, bigpoop said:

I don't know, that whole Troubadour thing kind of rubs me the wrong way.  To make a big deal about going back to that place, plus the whole GNR museum thing, when four of the people on that stage have nothing  to do with that history...it's just....t's just not right.

That's what is most ridiculous about the whole thing. They literally sold us that day as "We're going back to where it all started", when that's where it only started for 3 of you. The two you're intentionally leaving out, are both alive, healthy, playing well, and want to be there. But one guy wants to get paid what he's worth and the other is too happy/annoying/outspoken and we just can't deal with it.

Edited by Billsfan

30 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

But one guy wants to get paid what he's worth and the other is too happy/annoying/outspoken and we just can't deal with it.

Sorry man but...The fairest would be...One guy wants to get paid way more what he´s worth (considering the real catalyst of this whole money thing) and the other is too happy/annoying/outspoken/unstable/with a health problem that at any moment can ruin everything and we just can´t deal with it.

So, leaving aside the blind fanaticism and considering the context, they did what they could do.

2 minutes ago, Derick said:

Sorry man but...The fairest would be...One guy wants to get paid way more what he´s worth (considering the real catalyst of this whole money thing) and the other is too happy/annoying/outspoken/unstable/with a health problem that at any moment can ruin everything and we just can´t deal with it.

So, leaving aside the blind fanaticism and considering the context, they did what they could do.

Wants to get paid way more than he's worth?!?! You clearly would fail at a GNR related fact check... and that's a fine opinion on Adler but he would only have been playing his material, wouldn't have been the only drummer, and even if he did lose his mind then he's out, which we would all know would be fair at that point, and Frank would take over all duties.

So sorry man.. but that's a failed argument on your part if you're trying to justify that things worked out for the best. They didn't, and with GNR they never do so..

• Like 1