A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

11 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

100% Agreed. 

I actually got to go to a real Guns n Roses concert (at least by UYI standards). I thought I would NEVER get to experience that. I'm still on cloud 9 because of THIS fact alone.

This.  I was 100% positive I'd never have a chance to see a real GNR show, now I've seen 2, one from the front row, and a 3rd in August in the pit.  I'm super pumped.  Sure I'd love it if they cancelled KOHD and replaced it with DDM and DH, but they are also playing freaking coma every show, so I'm happy and am not expecting absolute perfection from a band thats 30 years old and weren't speaking to each other for 22 of those years.

Edited by liqddynamite
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Darkenchantress said:

Still don't get why the ones that are happy with this "reunion" are that bothered with those of us who aren't. :shrugs:Like we have all the right to express how we feel the same way you do. Are we ruining the shows for you? :rolleyes: Whatever. Great that for most of you GnR reunited last year, for me they didn't. And no, I don't need to get over anything just because I have a different opinion than yours, thanks for your concern.

Well, just cry me a river, and you be fine.

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't know what people expected. We have Slash and Duff back in the band, it seems to be going smoothly and critics are beside themselves. It's a success.

No new music. We're all upset that music wasn't prioritised, BUT there was really no way they were going to jump in the studio before testing the relationship on the road. Will we ever get new music? I have no idea, I don't expect it soon... I don't even expect it next year. 

Same.  I mean I get it, after not getting much from GNR since the late 90's its completely understandable to have that craving for a new GNR album.  I want one too as soon as possible, but logically speaking this tour isn't even over yet.  I am not going to bitch about GNR not having a new album out because, well, they have been pretty busy between GNR and Axl being in AC/DC.  This is the first huge tour they have done in Stadiums since the 90's, they should be milking the stadium gigs for all they are worth while they still have the clout and ability to do so.  

I will get restless if nothing materializes after a while after this tour, sure.  But at this very moment GNR is doing what they should be doing, touring and playing fucking huge stadiums and giving people great fucking rock shows.  And in that sense - job well done!

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

100% Agreed. 

I actually got to go to a real Guns n Roses concert (at least by UYI standards). I thought I would NEVER get to experience that. I'm still on cloud 9 because of THIS fact alone.

I'm out of likes but yeah these are my exact sentiments.

Knowing there is no new music coming any time soon, my Guns high peaked after the Toronto gig last year. I mean they're coming back through Canada and I'm just not interested in seeing a show. The cost is too high to see the exact same set as last year.

I'm glad Axl and Slash made amends and shared the stage again. Good for them. And I got to see them. And probably get to see them again. So yeah, still a success for me. Of course I would've wanted Izzy and Popcorn there, but I can't control everything.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, J Dog said:

I'm glad Axl and Slash made amends and shared the stage again. Good for them. And I got to see them. And probably get to see them again. So yeah, still a success for me. Of course I would've wanted Izzy and Popcorn there, but I can't control everything.

no one can control everything. but we can hope! positive thinking! ;)

2 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

Some of you guys need to realize that it's just different perspectives.

A lot of you are fans of GNR because of Axl & Slash, some of us are fans of GNR because of Izzy & Steven. That doesn't make either one of us wrong. It's just different tastes. :facepalm: I don't know why you all get so butthurt over that.

people have different opinions. i can live with that. it's just the ones who get out of control and saying THIS is the only way it should be. to paraphrase @J Dog we can't control everything. we really can't control anything except how we react to others. just be chill with your own opinions and if someone really annoys you there is this really cool feature called "ignore". :)

• Like 3

i think this first part of the tour was an experiment to see how everyone got along, if it was possible to be guns n' roses again since 1993.  start with three and go from there.  

i think they've succeeded, everyone seems happy, so they should feel comfortable now to move into more creative set lists.  the set list they've played this first half of the tour should never be played again, but i get it's safe territory and maybe safe territory is where things are still best for now.  

it's absolutely a money grab, but a deserved one, these guys didn't make anywhere near the dough they could have had they not been working against one another.  had axl not done everything in his power to discredit himself, the band name and the bands legacy.  

axl, slash and duff are gnr.  anything less then that is not.  it seems like izzy got rat-fucked business-wise on this tour, but he did leave organically on his own, which opened the door for gilby and now fortus (as touring employees).  did izzy really want to tour the world?  we'll have to wait and see what he says one day.  it'll never really be guns without him.  as far as steven, he's a great player and but he feels like a real fuckin' handfull, i think it was smart to keep him away while axl and slash felt each other out and took things at their own pace.  they should have matt/steven for the next tour/album.  i think it would be interesting to use both in studio and touring.  frank is not a real member and his boss axl rose should give him a nice severance package for being a classy and good humble guy. 

i would only want new music if they were actually writing as a band, writing together.  i would only want something that was a real artistic statement, something that stood as a new and real chapter for the band.  not that fake CD bullshit axl was selling with his solo band of hired circus freaks.   fortus could become a real member (ron wood role) if he writes and records on a real guns record, like matt and dizzy are real members to me.   

overall, i'm hoping for the best, that they are all inspired by one another and there's a creative renaissance between them and they deliver a new body of work.  springsteen started a new chapter in his 50's and i hope the same for guns.  axl should leave the ac/dc bullshit alone.  bad move to do that over new chapter for guns.  

Edited by Sunset Gardner
  • Like 2

I think communication is a massive problem with this band, they're probably the worst band EVER when it comes to communicating things. I agree that it's soon for them to release a new album (considering Axl and Slash didn't talk to each other for decades so writing music prior to the tour wasn't a possibility in this case) but the thing is a lot of people have the feeling that they're not interested in making music at all (hard to blame them knowing Axl's history) so if they could actually do interviews and talk about it, we wouldn't have to be guessing and assuming everything. If they said they're working in new music and the album probably would come out in 2018, people would be excited about it despite having to wait another year. Right now they're on a break and we don't even know if they're communicating with each other and the whole mistery thing is not that cool and exciting when you're talking about the most dysfunctional band ever. Again, we've learnt to always expect the worst from this band, the fans are not to blame for this IMO.

About the lineup, I don't know how much energy I have left to talk about it. I wish we had a full reunion with the original lineup but sadly it didn't happen. If that wasn't possible, I'd wish they could have hired a drummer who could do the songs justice and IMO that hasn't happened either and it's a shame. Still, overall I love the band as it is. I don't think Richard is the best fit for the band but he's a great player, I've always liked him. I don't really like Dizzy but he does his job fine on stage and that's what matters. And about Melissa, I don't dislike her at all. I find her role to be completely unnecessary but Axl clearly wants a 2nd keyboardist and then I have no problem with Melissa being the one who plays that role, I actually think she's a massive upgrade from the clown Axl used to have and I love her backing vocals.

As far as setlists go, the band haven't played in Europe yet, so I'll give them a pass on that until that leg of the tour is done. After that, I hope there will be some changes (not expecting a completely different show, just some changes!), I think it would be kinda shitty if they do the exact same show when they hit North and South America again later this year.

And one last thing, I ALWAYS wanted Slash and Axl to make amends and get along again so I'm beyond happy that has finally happened. That said, I was very happy with the way Slash's career was going and I need to hear new music from him so IF there will never be new music from GNR, then I hope this is the final year and SMKC will be back in 2018. GNR is and always will be my favorite band but I rather have SMKC with a new album in 2018 and Axl releasing all the material he has in his vault than have GNR doing an eternal nostalgia tour.

I hope that answers your question, @AxlRoseCDII :P

Ps: I totally get you @Darkenchantress @Kris_1989! With or without GNR, I hope Izzy will make you happy this year!! And no one in their right mind would find you annoying! :hug:

I'm not really peeved off there isn't new music yet, but moreso that they haven't even told us if there will be new music after the tour. Like if the band actually gave damn interviews and said "yeah, right now we're touring but after we fully intend to release xyz, coming out late 2018" . Sure, Axl has said in the China Exchange review he wants to release more with guns and Fortus has said whatever, but sadly I don't really trust either as a confirmation. And in the damn Brazil interview, they cut out presumable minutes when the interviewer asked about new music! :facepalm:

I don't see new music coming out in this lifetime under the GN'R name. I see another live DVD and a possible Greatest Hits with The Seeker or maybe one new song at best. The CDII/III scraps will be released after Axl's passing as solo albums to profit/display his work. In the near future, Axl will work with AC/DC for a new album, Slash will go back to SMKC, Duff will do Loaded and the others will be on callback for a new tour. But there will not be a new GN'R album.

Surprised about the reunion, but still feel the same about Guns N' Roses. It died in 1993. I don't understand why everyone's raving about the performances when the frontman keeps sounding so utterly dreadful.

13 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

I'm convinced that the majority of Guns N' Roses fans are absolutely impossible to please.

This is why an unofficial fan forum has endured for so long. Thankfully this forum is nowhere near as tribal as it used to be. 

Back in the early 2000s, there were "axlites" or "slashties" (or similar phrasing). We were waiting on Chinese Democracy and alongside VR, that's all people argued about. We'd all have our sigs to show who's "side" we were on and one time "crews" formed where members would form little groups of allies. They were banned. Now the fan community is far more nuanced, (the Axl vs Slash binary isn't as clear). We have Facebook, so we don't care as much about expressing ourselves as much via sigs or whatever. 

And in general terms, far fewer very nasty arguments happen. I saw some very opinionated folks insult other members, there was loads more sarcasm and bitchiness. Thankfully this is rarer and the vast majority of the time people are willing to listen to each other. All that was probably caused by very little band activity, and the internet was still new, so I think people felt as though they could hide behind their screens more easily. 

I like this forum the way it is. We will always disagree on something, and that's ok. Guns N' Roses left a lot to be desired after the success of UYI onwards, and fans have been delivered a spectrum of music, touring and band lineups. Enjoying what the band are doing now is the only way forward. :) 

• Like 2

Happy about the situation. 
Izzy/Steven was never gonna happen, at least not full time. 

Slash/Duff over DJ Ashba/Stinson/Bumble is a massive improvement, and the band sounds more like they should. 
Looking forward to seeing them again this summer in Europe.

I do not see how people expect them to release new music and so on this quick. We all knew this tour would last for at least 2016 and 2017. Did not expect anything less, after that we will see..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Izzyslash said:

Happy about the situation. 
Izzy/Steven was never gonna happen, at least not full time. 

Slash/Duff over DJ Ashba/Stinson/Bumble is a massive improvement, and the band sounds more like they should. 
Looking forward to seeing them again this summer in Europe.

I do not see how people expect them to release new music and so on this quick. We all knew this tour would last for at least 2016 and 2017. Did not expect anything less, after that we will see..

DJ Ashba is gone so I'm happy. :headbang:

• Like 1

In 2008, I thought there was no way the release of CD II was taking more than 5 years. Yet, here we are, more than 8 years after the release of CD and stil no signs of any new music coming soon. 

I'm not happy about GN'R, not at all. I'm glad I got to hear Coma with Slash, though.

I've read some responses very similar to my thoughts. Trying to keep it short:

Slash and Duff returning was the best thing to happen to GNR since 1993. No discussion. But things got boring really fast. Same set as NuGNR, Axl sounding like shit and songs played in an insanely tempo. Too many covers, too coreographed. No interviews, no press and of course, no new music.

See? There are many flaws. Flaws that seem to happen only with this band.

So it's a lil bitersweet. While it's good it's still far from what they could truly achieve if their heart was on it. Once you have a heart on, things get more interesting. The shows are a little lifeless, corporate, by the motions... They all look bored because it's really boring.

• Like 1

On 02/04/2017 at 3:42 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Can't believe it's been a whole year since the Trobadour. I remember the night like it was yesterday. 

My question is, now that you've known about this for a year, what's your position with Guns? Do you like this lineup? Hate it? Where do we go from here, will there be new music? Let's please not turn this into a "I hate Fortus/Frank and want Steven and Izzy" thing, we've had enough of those discussions.

Since I'd never ask a question I couldn't answer, I stand pretty well with Guns. But I see no new music in the future. A year has given me time to see that Axl is much happier with this lineup than the 2009-2014 lineup and I really enjoy the chemistry this band holds. It's a nostalgia tour right now though which is sad.

I'm confortable with the current situation, I've seem Guns N' Roses with Axl, Slash and Duff, something I've only dreamed about until NITL.

Of course I want new music, but I dont think they had the time yet, the band is regrouping and starting to be a band again after 20 plus years of drama and bulshit, its not that simple to just get together and be a band, they arent just a band, they're one of the biggest bands in the planet and everyone is watching, its not that easy.

I cant wait for the end of NITL cause if they are going to do something new, it will be after the tour.

All we need is just a little patience, for better or worse.

Around the time of the rumors of the Troubadour, was probably the most excited as a fan I have ever been. I really enjoyed all the periscope videos. Watched almost all of the NA 2016 dates. The hype has slowly died over the year though. 

I finally got to see Slash, Duff,and Axl together though. Which I thought would never be possible and I got some great pics too.

I am still obsessed but just not as much as I was when the tour was announced. I would really like a bluray release or new music, but if not, I was still happy.

• Like 1

Bored. It's a great lineup, but they're predictable right now. Atleast with the 2009-2014 lineup there was talk of new music, the remix album, the chance of OMG or Going Down getting played. With this lineup there's no talk of anything. I'm sure we'll get new music eventually, but I don't see it happening as soon as it would've if we still had the previous lineup. I'm not a huge AC/DC fan, but I'm honestly more interested in seeing what Axl does with them right now. Atleast that appears to be leading to new music.

• Like 1

Most of us have spent years waiting for Guns to get back together, I am not going to get bored after 1 year.  Perhaps thats because I haven't seen the show yet.

I think it might be a good time for them to do a DVD or an interview though.  Just a little something to keep fans interested. 

I personally think an album will come eventually.

• Like 3