A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

I'm going to see them in Belgium this summer and looking very much forward to it, last time was 1993 in Nijmegen, Netherlands. But, have been disappointed somehow in the lack of visibility of the guys. A late night show appearance from Axl, Slash and Duff together would have been great. Or just simply some interviews and fuck yeah just one new song. Sometimes I open my Spotify and can't believe the catalogue of Guns is so small. I didn't expect miracles, but I had expected some more surprises this previous year. Sometimes I feel that I picked the wrong band to fall in love with in the late eighties. A band with a new album every 2/3 year, but hey: GNR is our destiny! :-)

• Like 1

At this point, I accepted some time ago that we probably won't be getting any new music (either unheard music from previous lineups or music from this one), but I'm happy to see the band gelling and actually seeming passionate. It seems clear that, from this point out, Axl will be happy playing old stuff; might as well have a group of musicians that seems to be enjoying themselves. Axl seemed absolutely bored and uninspired in 2013/2014 (with the notable exceptions of shows from the second residency). 

Bunch of sell out stadium corporate rockers, labeled as "the GNR reunion" when its just a washed up axl slash duff and shitty backup musicians. Honestly rather have the 2002 line up at this point at least they had flavor and a good drummer. Axl also actually had determination and drive back then. Frank ferrer ruins EVERY song the guy drums on, he's complete garbage, how this guy is playing with GNR let alone getting PAID for his performances is a robbery. Right when steven comes on everything sounds a lot better. Then you got cheap izzy stradlin who's completely overrated on this board. Guy does too many solos and his guitar is so loud the guys like a wanna be lead guitarist, save it for slash. Fortus nobody came to hear you. Melissa Reese in general is a joke nothin more needs to be said there

Bring Back Izzy and Steven than I'm excited, axl's voice is also complete garbage now but the guys old, i won't be too harsh on him, hes done a lot for us fans.

though i lost respect for axl, cause look at beatles, you don't see paul and ringo touring as "the beatles" right now, GNR has become a bunch of sell out corporate rockers, you either get the full band back or you don't label it as a reunion

Edited by marunic
  • Like 2

I have kind of mixed feelings about the whole reunion tour.

Pro:

It's obviously great to have Duff and Slash back playing the iconic Guns catalogue
I like their take on some (not all) of the Chinese tracks
Axl sounds great again on this tour and probably had to get in shape in order for it to work
The band feels more like a band

Con:

The same ol' setlist safe for a couple of tracks
No BBF and this for me is most noticeable on the ChiDem tracks.
No new material with Slash and Duff
No unreleased material from CD or new recordings from NuGuns due to this tour

Edited by Bumblefeet
  • Like 3

Still excited the tour is still going strong and how many fans are showing up for all their shows.

I wish GNR would continue with new music and touring until they're too old to do it anymore. Who knows when that will be? I mean look at iron Maiden, Judas Priest, AC/DC and the Rolling Stones. These guys have been rocking for 40 years +. I believe as long as you can sing and do a two hour show, you should continue to do it.

If you continue to rock, your fans will come!:headbang:

• Like 1

I personally don't understand how people can be so critical (in regards to this lineup doing new music) when they haven't completed the tour.

as someone else said, if they complete this tour, and Axl goes and records with Angus, I'll be pissed. The same coukd be said if they go back through North America and play markets they didn't play on the original run. 

But.... Until then, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and letting them reintroduce duff and slash to the fans who haven't seen them back on stage with Axl. And that's what some people on here forget, just because you've periscoped 48 shows in a row with little change in the set list doesn't mean it's boring, people want to see the show. Just because you're hanging out on the computer at 3am shouldn't mean this tour is a negative. 

Personally, I've enjoyed this 12 months, it's been a fuck load better than 2015, and in excited to see out Europe and fingers crossed something new happens after that. But bagging them out now is jumping the gun. 

Alright, the issue with a particular poster has been dealt with.  

In the future, please do not respond or antagonize posters who are looking for it.  The mod team may not get to the issue right away, but it will be dealt with.

Thanks!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, downzy said:

Alright, the issue with a particular poster has been dealt with.  

In the future, please do not respond or antagonize posters who are looking for it.  The mod team may not get to the issue right away, but it will be dealt with.

Thanks!

Yayyyyyyy Downzy!

• Like 1

I've been a fan since I was 9 and and this is it for me. I have tickets for 3 shows on the coming leg of the tour and that's the end of it barring a new album or Izzy returns. GNR without any doubt are the biggest under achievers in rock. 

I've been a fan since 89 and remember when they really were fucking dangerous. They were the consummate rock n roll band. The UYI tour started when I was 11 and finished when I was 13, epic stuff. I remember seeing them on the Freddie Mercury Tribute thing and they were brilliant, the image, the drinking, the drugs, the women, the smokes, the danger. Some bands transcend style or boxes and are just rock n roll. The Stooges, The MC5, Sex Pistols, GNR, Nirvana. Those bands had the music and all the other ingredients to leap out from the pack and kick you in the bollocks. 

GNR were one of the biggest ever. Touring, media , disposable income, all were more available and evolved than when zeppelin or any of those bands toured. Like in every country in the world Slash = hat, hair, smoke, drunk, guitar hero. Like he was this fucking force, capable of writing solos like paradise city at like 20 or something. All the band had image.

This tour is like a banger beside the nuclear bomb they were up to 91. Its the same lineup as the bulk of the UYI tour lineup. Axl, Slash, and Duff, Dizzy. Steven never made the UYI tour and Izzy walked away in 91. Youth covered the Izzy, Steven holes back then. Stevens punk / glam drumming and Izzys sleazy real life lyrics and melodic songs are really missing. Bands are funny beasts made up from guys with different rhythms and phrasings and timings and tensions. Removing a person completely changes the dynamic and sound and feel. I liked Gilby and I liked Richard the most from the last lineup. But the band deserves its place with the greats and should be great again to do it. Bring back Izzy and Steven, share the songs with Frank if he has to be there. I wasnt mad about sorum but he kept time... Franks style isn't "Guns" it kinda fucks up some songs to my ears. 

It pissed me off listening to Axl with AC/DC I know he's fucked off singing the GNR stuff for 30 years but change the setlist around or some fucking thing. Why couldn't he sing as well with Guns. The rasp was there and he sounded great. He has had his moments on the guns tour also but not as good. What did Slash and Duff think about that I wonder. 

They need Izzys personality on the songs. It's a part of their sound at their best. They're not drunks and drug addicts now so no excuses for fucking the thing up again. Greed man. Fucking greed. What was the issue with signing a one contract with a leg of the tour having an equal split for all original 5. Do something unpredictable and kick people in the bollocks again. 

I hope this doesn't go full on AC/DC mode and they play the same songs in the same order every night, every tour. It's nostalgia driven so far and a lot of people are interested again with slash and Duff back but that will only last a tour or two. A new album isn't enough, a full on reunion needs to happen.

This band has had a huge split between the 2 most iconic guys in it to the public for almost 20 years, taken 17 years to release an album and could have been huge. The media always reference cobain and what he might have done, but what could GNR have achieved had they not fucked up. It would be a shame if they fucked their chance to be one of the absolute greats again. I still love em though. And seeing them gathered around the piano in Seattle playing Layla was brilliant. A really great moment in time. 

Overall it's fucking great, but I wish they did it, themselves, and the fans justice and did it really great with the original 5 or at least Izzy and maybe 2 - 3 interviews.

(I hope Duff writes another book completely about this reunion,  His writing style is great! )

Edited by Powderfinger
Grammar
  • Like 2

I don´t know if there's anyone else here in the forum who, like me, had already closed the subject of Slash back to playing with Axl someday. Long ago I stopped suffering my mourning and tried to focus on the good things about the band and I confess that I really had a good time with the Chinese era. But when the Slash and Duff´s return was confirmed and the shows started to happen it was like: "holy fkn´ shitty I want this so much!". And now, 1 year later, I´m still on that!!! New music? Off course I want..another old cuts or another CD songs too! But that don´t bother me at all and I will not use this to ruined this moment either, not for now. I've learned that for some things in life what matters is the moment, especially things I have no control over. If I like it, I'll buy it, if I don´t , I'll let it go. In the NITLT case, I am totally in!!

About Izzy and Adler: it would be great, but with the condition that all 5 really want to, not just some of them ... without external pressure, without anyone obliged to play with who does not want to or with whom does not trust. Talking about to do the right thing and about "real band"..The right thing and a real band to me is that.

i think they suck 

i can't believe i would even say that provided slash and axl are back together 

however its blatantly clear there is no real reason other than $ and that would be fine if at least all originals from the most successful era were involved most importantly  tracy and roberta 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1

Hi everyone, new member here. A year ago I was over the moon with excitement when everything happened with the troubadour show and the Vegas shows. I stayed up late and watched the Vegas shows on periscope and was able to experience it that way. Then my brother and I went for the show in Phoenix. Seeing Axl and Slash on stage together and Slash playing Estranged and November Rain again was a dream come true. I'm happy that I was able to have that experience and cross seeing GnR off my bucket list.

Now, a year later, I'm still happy about the fact that the tour and everything is still going on, but I'm not sure I would want to spend that much money to see them again if it's going to be the same set. After hearing Steven's story I'm a little disappointed but at the same time I think this is only the beginning and it's too early to make a judgement of the entire reunion. I think we should wait another year or so and see what happens then. They might surprise us again. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

i became a fan because of DJ Ashba so i can't say im too ecstatic...Slash just isn't that good to me.

i hope after this tour Slash goes back to his group with Myles and Axl convinces Ashba to rejoin.

Well, then you're not really a GNR fan. Wonder what you're doing here.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

i became a fan because of DJ Ashba so i can't say im too ecstatic...Slash just isn't that good to me.

i hope after this tour Slash goes back to his group with Myles and Axl convinces Ashba to rejoin.

LOL. DJ Ashba over Slash? DJ who created nothing memorable with GNR over Slash? SERIOUSLY?

• Like 1

The shows are a well-oiled machine. The people that have been going seem to be getting their money's worth. People going to multiple shows might feel let down if the setlist's more or less the same from the last time, but they also sit in different seats, different venues, different cities sometimes, different group of people you went with, all factors into a fun night out. Maybe the girlfriend (or kid, or girlfriend with kid) was a bad idea to bring. 

As far as new albums go, it's hard to justify putting something out that is just going to be heard streaming or on You Tube and maybe get 30,000 (if they're lucky) the first week, but no one can predict how it would do. It depends how people take to new music with Axl and Slash vs repackaging a new Greatest Hits and Deluxe Editions (which bands are always actively involved in, they just turn the tapes in and hear the results later)  of the back catalog (yes, including ChiDem). We'll probably get a live album out of this tour if there's an ending point to it. They might just keep this going every few years, release a few new songs here and there, instead of a new album.