A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

7 minutes ago, Intercourse said:

Please. This shit belongs in a school yard 15 years ago. He did "win" but at a huge cost to his own career. They all missed the boat because of their collective arrogance and stupidity.

How did the artist within any of them "win"?

I bet their 20 year old selves would vomit if they saw their 50 year old selves waddling around stage with some chick on keyboards with blue hair and and love heart pajamas...

they might vomit harder if they saw their 50 yr old selves trying their best to act like their 20 yr old selves based on a bunch of fans expecting them to exist in a time warp.  Although having said that their 20 yr old selves might see just that in the current incarnation too.  

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, wasted said:

I didn't mean he beat Slash and Duff or anything like that. But if his career was a football game, he was losing in the 3rd quarter but somehow he fought back to win the game with a late field goal. 

And that goal was accomplished, by bringing back the two players with whom he previously won the Superbowl.

• Like 1

Just now, PatrickS77 said:

And that goal was accomplished, by bringing back the two players with whom he previously won the Superbowl.

I think you mean played the Super dome and smoked a super bowl. 

It wasn't the game some expected and it wasn't the game I planned. But Axl won the game he was playing and that's all that counts. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GonzoThesaurus said:

People mythologize things, I think GNR fans are a type that do this more than others. During the quiet years it was "I bet CD will be a monster album!". After it was released and it wasn't, it was 'I bet Axl will come out and kick ass!", which he actually did for a while to be fair, but it wore off. Then it was, 'well imagine if there was a reunion! that would be kick-ass!"And then it happens but it isn't perfect, it isn't all you hope for. It's still awesome, but it just doesn't match up to the thing you've built up in your head, and that isn't Axl, Slash, Duff or nuGuns fault, because nothing can match the image you've made in your head of the band. I think when Axl came here and said "just live your life" he was trying to say something like this.

Of course, but it's like that with everything in life and it's not just GnR fans. There's a lot of nostalgia involved. A lot of people who are fans of the band were coming of age in the late 80s or early 90s. So for a lot of them it was this great time and this great exciting band was part of it and some might think subconsciously that it will be like that again, but it's impossible to re-create that time or that feeling, so no matter what happens, they are going to be disappointed or grow tired of it as soon as they find out it's not the same. Even if the AFD line up will get together, it can't hold up to the image some have built in their minds. It just can't. Doesn't mean it can't still be cool, but it's not going to be like how you experienced it when you were younger. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GonzoThesaurus said:

People mythologize things, I think GNR fans are a type that do this more than others. During the quiet years it was "I bet CD will be a monster album!". After it was released and it wasn't, it was 'I bet Axl will come out and kick ass!", which he actually did for a while to be fair, but it wore off. Then it was, 'well imagine if there was a reunion! that would be kick-ass!"And then it happens but it isn't perfect, it isn't all you hope for. It's still awesome, but it just doesn't match up to the thing you've built up in your head, and that isn't Axl, Slash, Duff or nuGuns fault, because nothing can match the image you've made in your head of the band. I think when Axl came here and said "just live your life" he was trying to say something like this.

CD was a monster album, Axl toured it to completion and the reunion is the reunion of the success of GNR. Not the reunion of their dangerous appetite for destruction. Axl did all that he should. 

• Like 2

I stand with it like this.....  Great moment and excitement a year ago, got to see a show in Nashville, now it's all died down and the reality of what it is sunk in toward the latter part of the Summer....  It's a business now and it's all about making that retirement nice and fat.

There's not a creative desire/drive to take over the world, nor could they.  I'm not mad because that's what most sensible fans have known for years anyway.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smokin' Cigarettes said:

I stand with it like this.....  Great moment and excitement a year ago, got to see a show in Nashville, now it's all died down and the reality of what it is sunk in toward the latter part of the Summer....  It's a business now and it's all about making that retirement nice and fat.

There's not a creative desire/drive to take over the world, nor could they.  I'm not mad because that's what most sensible fans have known for years anyway.

I understand what you're saying, but I still feel like they are one hit single away from being able to tour stadiums for another year.  There isn't really anything exciting on rock radio these days, the new single from guns with slash  would be very exciting and would get pushed like crazy by the media. If it gets a good buzz initially, all the casuals would follow. Of course, this is just my Pinyan I think a lot of people would jump on board. These days people just like to belong to something. If it gets a good buzz initially, all the casuals would follow. Of course, this is just my Opinion 

Bored. I'm sure Axl will just try and milk this tour for as long as possible. Odds of new music are pretty slim, unfortunately.

GnR is my fav band of all time. Axl is my fav singer of all time. 

But I sure appreciate bands that share their new music with their fans a lot more now. 

On 2.4.2017 at 9:14 AM, Silent Jay said:

Nothing has changed. They've practically done the same thing over and over for a whole year. This is NuGNR again on their endless ChDem tour now with Slash & Duff.

I can't understand all that bitching about the same set list. You in the states were lucky enough to see them and the best set list already... why should they change it? Just for you watching them on periscope? Fuck that! They'll tour Europe the first time in 2 months and I'll see the best set as well. They're playing the songs for those who are attending their shows, not for all that fucking people sittin' at home moaning and crying about the same set over and over again and don't even get why it's the same set.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

"Just because you're winning don't mean your the lucky one"

"It's just you against the bank and mortician for life man and it would be luck if you could get out of life alive"

Okay winning in terms of career and bank but you might still feel bad about your life. You could give me all the success in the world I'd still see life as ultimately pointless. Death is easier to find than truth. 

Edited by wasted

I think the NITL experience got pretty old after the first few months of last year, if i'm being honest. If we take off the rose tinted glasses (no pun intended), all we really have is fat Axl and Slash going through the motions for a payday. And in the process, screwing over 2 classic era bandmates that the vast majority want to see, due to the "core 3's" own personal greed.

Edited by todreamofwolves

45 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

I think the NITL experience got pretty old after the first few months of last year, if i'm being honest. If we take off the rose tinted glasses (no pun intended), all we really have is fat Axl and Slash going through the motions for a payday. And in the process, screwing over 2 classic era bandmates that the vast majority want to see, due to the "core 3's" own personal greed.

Good point, it's hard for me to get excited about fat, rich guys getting fatter and richer.

At least if izzy was there id get a nostalgia hit.

A year ago, I like most were beyond excited to see Axl and Slash back on stage. I could have cared less about the same songs being played for the thousandth time, just actually seeing Axl, Sash and Duff playing GNR songs together again alone peaked everyone's attention, and we all didn't expect Izzy or Adler thinking Izzy just probably wasn't into doing the big tour and maybe Adler would be complicated but since he was so unusually quiet, there was hope.

A year later... It looks like we're all getting bored to tears. The same songs and same setlists will do that. I did say a year ago that it would make sense to hold off on new music since nostalgia was the first thing for one's attention span to deal with but, we'd all get bored after a while without new music or even a full reunion. So a year later, I'm glad we got what we got as it was better to have happened versus not happening at all, like Steven Adler has said. But no new music, no Izzy especially after knowing what we do now, Steven's situation coming to light... I'm over it. It's starting to turn into GNR 2011-2014 again

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

A year ago, I like most were beyond excited to see Axl and Slash back on stage. I could have cared less about the same songs being played for the thousandth time, just actually seeing Axl, Sash and Duff playing GNR songs together again alone peaked everyone's attention, and we all didn't expect Izzy or Adler thinking Izzy just probably wasn't into doing the big tour and maybe Adler would be complicated but since he was so unusually quiet, there was hope.

A year later... It looks like we're all getting bored to tears. The same songs and same setlists will do that. I did say a year ago that it would make sense to hold off on new music since nostalgia was the first thing for one's attention span to deal with but, we'd all get bored after a while without new music or even a full reunion. So a year later, I'm glad we got what we got as it was better to have happened versus not happening at all, like Steven Adler has said. But no new music, no Izzy especially after knowing what we do now, Steven's situation coming to light... I'm over it. It's starting to turn into GNR 2011-2014 again

Well, at least GN'R 2011-2014 had one or two guest spots from Izzy. :lol:

• Like 1