A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:47 AM, Tom-Ass said:

Seriously.......

I love how your attitude has done a complete 360 and you're now a "Glass half full fan" :P 

Idk.. I get that some are defending the lack of new material but, I think a song or two would have helped this thing. Slash and Axl doing an interview or brief appearance together could have made it better.

And also... I'm seeing all kinds of different vague/Axl-ish definitions on when it's supposed to be appropriate to start demanding or getting impatient for new music. A year ago, I understand. A year later, ok...it's starting to push it. Where will these fans be a year from now if/when we still have no new music?

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 0:29 PM, Padme said:

I don't want them to stop. But, are they planning to make a new album at some point? It seems a new album will never happen. Right now there is a hiatus. Is there a sign they are writing/recording a couple of new songs to be played in the up coming tour in Europe and the U.S.? The only news we had is yet another RIR.

For me, this justifies the criticism of the lack of new material. It's one thing that nothing's come out, it's a whole 'nother thing in the fact that there's no concrete evidence or even a plan for new music. It's still Ax's band at the end of the day, this we know. Nothing has really changed as far as how GNR seems to handle things publicly on or off the stage over the last 15 plus years. Maybe they got tired of the old "We're going to start seriously looking into releasing ne music after this tour cycle" shtick?!?!

5 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Well, at least GN'R 2011-2014 had one or two guest spots from Izzy. :lol:

I would agree with that, actually. And the sad thing is, I like probably many out here, figured Izzy's involvement in a reunion tour would have been signed on before Slash coming back would have. Wasn't Izzy supposed to show up to Vegas in 2014?!?!

3 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

I would agree with that, actually. And the sad thing is, I like probably many out here, figured Izzy's involvement in a reunion tour would have been signed on before Slash coming back would have. Wasn't Izzy supposed to show up to Vegas in 2014?!?!

I don't know. But I never understood why he was able to play with Robin/DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot but not with Slash, his ex-bandmate, at the reunion tour. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

I don't know. But I never understood why he was able to play with Robin/DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot but not with Slash, his ex-bandmate, at the reunion tour. 

Well that's an easy answer, knowing what we do now. The Robin/DJ/Bumble was the nuGNR era, Izzy himself even called it Axl's band. So to Izzy, making guest spots is fine because he probably viewed it as Axl's own project, like he did with the others in their own works. Axl wants him to come and go, Izzy is cool with coming and going. Doing an actual "reunion" tour changes that perspective drastically though, as Izzy wants back in and Axl wants the relationship to stay status quo. So, we have a difference in opinion and no agreement in place... sad, but true.

6 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

Well that's an easy answer, knowing what we do now. The Robin/DJ/Bumble was the nuGNR era, Izzy himself even called it Axl's band. So to Izzy, making guest spots is fine because he probably viewed it as Axl's own project, like he did with the others in their own works. Axl wants him to come and go, Izzy is cool with coming and going. Doing an actual "reunion" tour changes that perspective drastically though, as Izzy wants back in and Axl wants the relationship to stay status quo. So, we have a difference in opinion and no agreement in place... sad, but true.

Yeah, right. Izzy wanted more involvement. But I think that Axl saw no reason to fire Richard and Frank. And in fact Slash and Duff (and Melissa) were just filling empty spaces in the band. 

Edited by Sosso

24 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

I love how your attitude has done a complete 360 and you're now a "Glass half full fan" :P 

Only on certain subjects ;) There are some things I don't care for but I am still thrilled to see Axl/Slash and Duff up there again.

Still my favorite band and it was awesome seeing them live 3 times in 2016.  Would I like to see Izzy and Steven involved more?  Of course but I've come to the conclusion they're going to do what they want to do (like they've always have) and just to appreciate what we have now.  I'll see them in August this year again in Miami...Hopefully they do something a little different.

As far as people expecting the AFD or Illusions versions of the band, I think that's somewhat unrealistic.  Even if all the classic lineup had stayed together all these years, the band would have continued to evolve.  Just like Illusions was an evolution from AFD the next album (whether it would have been CD or not) would have evolved from Illusions and so forth.  So in reality, I think the version we are seeing now isn't necessarily that far off (in terms of musical style) of what  (protentially) we would have anyway had they all stayed together.  

2 hours ago, Billsfan said:

A year later... It looks like we're all getting bored to tears.

No, just you and some of the same old crybabys, who think just cause they spend the whole time watching streams and comparing setlists, they are entitled to whatever they think is right. The rest of us is still pretty excited. You know, the ones who attend shows and understand why they play the setlist that they play and havent released a whole album yet.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, moreblack said:

That alone makes up for the last 10+ years.

I totally agree, its been a complete thrill and to me its still really cool to have them on stage together again.  I pretty much gave up not just on Slash being back in GNR, but GNR as a whole in 2014.  Things are in a way better place in 2017 for GNR and they are kicking ass live, life is good!

• Like 1

I'm good with it not being a full reunion because I think it's hard to recreate past glories. The AFD line up would struggle to eclipse the AFD record. But some shows or ex member guest spots are cool. Some disagree but I see the potential of the Hybrid Guns to make a heavy hard rock record, maybe tougher than UYI, maybe more like a Back in Black type self titled hard rock record. Having a fully committment band in place can help make it a cohesive process. Of course I still dream of the AFD5 reunion record and first shows. A few Izzy songs scattered across the record...it's just not a very rock n roll world these days. Even Aerosmith did pop rock/country on their last album. Stones Blue and Lonesome was very ballsy thing to do, so maybe that will inspire Guns to dig deeper into their roots of punk and glam. Bring back the Aerosmith and Thin Lizzy influence. Golgotha Nostalgia. 

Edited by wasted

7 hours ago, Sosso said:

Yeah, right. Izzy wanted more involvement. But I think that Axl saw no reason to fire Richard and Frank. And in fact Slash and Duff (and Melissa) were just filling empty spaces in the band. 

Why don't you finally put that thought to rest? Nu-GNR was ended and done in Vegas in 2014. Slash and Duff's return is clearly more than just filling empty spaces. No matter the amount of wishful thinking of Nu-GNR fans (or former Employees).

• Like 1

Still happier than anytime in the past 20 years.

The CD era was just, not...not fun.  I don't miss having to qualify all my answers about how my favorite band was not really the ragtag group of nameless assholes using the name right now, but the actual band you all remember. 

Then I saw them last year, I was finallyl able to say "I am going to see Guns N' Roses".  No qualifiers, no caveats.

Not looking to go back.

• Like 1

Hated it then, still hate it now. Had no interest in "seeing Axl and Slash share a stage together". I love those guys for the songs they wrote, but as far as I was concermed, that era of the band was over and belonged in the 1990s.

I found the whole Chinese Democracy thing fascinating and I really wanted it to succeed, especially cause there were so many people, especially journalists, those working in the music industry and miserable bastards* on this forum who wanted it to fail and for Axl to do the "ïnevitable" thing and reunite. In the end it seemed like a boring-ass victory for the Irving Azoffs of the world... And that those of us who supported it were naive to the point of stupidity for expecting anything else. That stung.

*Not everyone who wanted a reunion is a miserable bastard, but those who hung around just to pour out vitriol at the post-2000 band and were never going to give them a chance because of who they were replacing rather than who they were really annoyed me.

1 hour ago, Graeme said:

*Not everyone who wanted a reunion is a miserable bastard, but those who hung around just to pour out vitriol at the post-2000 band and were never going to give them a chance because of who they were replacing rather than who they were really annoyed me.

I think there's only one guy to blame for all that. The man who thought he could be the singer of two completely different bands and call them the same way.

Had Axl come out with Axl Rose featuring Dizzy Reed and The Weirdos (?) he would have gotten a lot more acceptation as it happened with Slash, Duff and Izzy's projects through the years. Still, some people took it way too bad (I personally hated the use of the name but loved the actual band and the one album that came out of it) and really never gave them a chance but Axl could have avoided that (plus the shitload of legal issues) and his ego and stubborness didn't let him.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Why don't you finally put that thought to rest? Nu-GNR was ended and done in Vegas in 2014. Slash and Duff's return is clearly more than just filling empty spaces. No matter the amount of wishful thinking of Nu-GNR fans (or former Employees).

Because it is how it is. 

2016 was a great year to be a GnR fan.  I can't believe it's been a year since I went to the first Vegas show.  I saw them 3 times last year, so for me, I really want to hear new music above anything else.  It's my same wish for the past 20 some years (besides 2008). Probably just wishful thinking.  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2017 at 1:51 AM, Free Bird said:

I can't understand all that bitching about the same set list. You in the states were lucky enough to see them and the best set list already... why should they change it? Just for you watching them on periscope? Fuck that! They'll tour Europe the first time in 2 months and I'll see the best set as well. They're playing the songs for those who are attending their shows, not for all that fucking people sittin' at home moaning and crying about the same set over and over again and don't even get why it's the same set.

Do you get angry at the many bands that actually do mix up their setlist during tours?