A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

I'm pleased. Playing stadiums, securing their legacies, putting to bed stupid ideas like "alt/grunge killed Guns", AXL/DC, etc. All awesome. New music would be fantastic of course- but I'm mindful of the fact that the "creative" process has been extremely difficult for the band for 25+ years now. At the end of the day I would not sacrifice what they have going today for a new record.

Axl has some great stuff I am sure (a darker, more aggressive Chinese sounds incredible IMHO) and perhaps the current line-up is playing around with ideas here or there on tour. Just not going to set my heart on it though given how much a struggle "new music" is in 2017 for anyone not named Kanye or Taylor Swift...

That said- seems like Axl thrives on the unexpected- so perhaps there will be a pleasant surprise some day when all have given up.:headbang:

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 1

I had an awesome time at the shows I went to in 2016. Traveled to Vegas and Chicago to see them, as well as at home in Detroit.

Having said that, I think my days of traveling to see them are doing unless some new material is released. I came to that realization a couple weeks ago because of the upcoming Minneapolis show. Short version is that I could've see the show more or less for free. Had a free ticket offer, could've used points to get my flight free and could've stayed right by the stadium at a friend's place for free. Even with all of that, I was still wavering on whether or not I wanted to put the effort in to go.

Once I realized I had to think about it, that was my answer. Don't get me wrong, I'll see GN'R every time they're in Detroit or they happen to be in the same city I'm already in, but that's it. I just can't get excited about traveling a bunch just to see the same show yet again. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I had an awesome time at the shows I went to in 2016. Traveled to Vegas and Chicago to see them, as well as at home in Detroit.

Having said that, I think my days of traveling to see them are doing unless some new material is released. I came to that realization a couple weeks ago because of the upcoming Minneapolis show. Short version is that I could've see the show more or less for free. Had a free ticket offer, could've used points to get my flight free and could've stayed right by the stadium at a friend's place for free. Even with all of that, I was still wavering on whether or not I wanted to put the effort in to go.

Once I realized I had to think about it, that was my answer. Don't get me wrong, I'll see GN'R every time they're in Detroit or they happen to be in the same city I'm already in, but that's it. I just can't get excited about traveling a bunch just to see the same show yet again. 

I share this exact sentiment

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm kind of in the same boat. When the tour was announced I bought tickets to Vancouver and the Gorge (because GNR will never actually come to my city so I'll always have to travel to see them), and I was ready to get tickets to a couple more Canadian shows, but for whatever reason I held off. I think seeing the videos from the SA and 2017 shows kind of dampened my expectations, since NA '16 was easily the best leg of the tour. Honestly Axl has a lot to do with it, of course he's puting on good shows but he's still singing like he did in 2012 a lot of the time. I'm of the opinion that the only thing that can light a fire under him is new material, and at this point whether that's with GNR or AC/DC is irrelevant, I just want new music and for Axl to perform like he's got something to prove.

• Like 2

On 4/9/2017 at 9:45 PM, WhazUp said:

I totally agree, its been a complete thrill and to me its still really cool to have them on stage together again.  I pretty much gave up not just on Slash being back in GNR, but GNR as a whole in 2014.  Things are in a way better place in 2017 for GNR and they are kicking ass live, life is good!

It is better than anything the have done since they have departed and I followed all of them at least to some degree. Just couldn't get into what Axl was doing. I tried until about 2002.

On 4/9/2017 at 10:58 PM, wasted said:

I'm good with it not being a full reunion because I think it's hard to recreate past glories. The AFD line up would struggle to eclipse the AFD record.

I think a full reunion would be amazing. I also understand that all these years later it is easier said than done. I am can be satisfied with it not being a full reunion too. It is just that the cast around them is a cluster fuck. They could have do e much better.

I actually feel better than I did a year ago. While I had a blast in Vegas the quality of the performance was weak. Slash and Fortus were like oil and water. Axl didn't sound great.. And as noble as it was for him to carry on in that chair he looked like an alien in a wheelchair. Frank was terrible.. I was damn, I waited 23 years for that shit? All the sows in April were like that. The you tube videos are unwatchable. It just didn't look, sound or feel like Guns N' Roses to me.

They certainly out their time in and tightened shit up during the break. They came out during that Detroit show sounding like a different band. Axl was much better, While still not sold on Fortus or Frank they both made some improvements.. I have watched countless videos from this tour almost on a daily basis.

The could switch up the setlist a bit more but overall it is ok since they play for so long. Now if it were a 2 hour show and they were playing for CD songs.. fuck that.. I mean fuck that anyway but that would be a nightmare.

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I traveled to Vegas, Great time but Meh show.. Saw my hometown show.. Had the chance to fly to Cincinnati but didn't. That was more about the prices for me though. If the prices were lower I would have been all over the country last summer. This summer too.  I am looking at a show but unless I get some super deal on Stubhub, not doing it.

I also think they will switch it up a bit after the break. Nothing crazy.. There are some bands out there that play the EXACT same show night after night. Guns seem to switch up 3 or 4 songs a night. I mean it usually only with something predictable like Don't Cry for Patience or the Duff songs. I like the subtle changes as well. Like the jams, Slash's song intros and solos. They all morph as the tour goes on. Axl also deviates his performances a little depending on his mood. Changes the lyrics a bit throws in an extra mother fucker at times ;)

Edited by Tom-Ass

Most of the posts in this thread are hilarious to me.  The greatest band of all time is back (for the most part) together.  They look great, sound great, and are playing to sold out stadiums but that's not enough.  Some people are more happy being  unhappy.    Seeing them here in Houston was the highlight of my year, it was amazing.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ktex said:

Most of the posts in this thread are hilarious to me.  The greatest band of all time is back (for the most part) together.  They look great, sound great, and are playing to sold out stadiums but that's not enough.  Some people are more happy being  unhappy.    Seeing them here in Houston was the highlight of my year, it was amazing.

Followed that show on Periscope.. They kicked ass that night.

• Like 1

I think people thought it would be different with Slash and Duff on board. Its not, just on a bigger scale. This is still the same blueprints Axl is using to tour since 2009. Chuck in the odd nostalgic song, structure of the set mainly the same, tour focus on the hits.. Repeat.

Am i happy with it? Yes. These guys aren't 30 any more and will only be relevent playing the hits. ACDC & Aerosmith put out new music and toured in the last 5 years. The latter didn't even perform any new track live. Both albums will be forgotten about and its the hits that is remembered in a bands legacy. 

Edited by Axl_morris

28 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

I think people thought it would be different with Slash and Duff on board. Its not, just on a bigger scale.

It certainly is different. There are still some unfortunate parallels to the dismal CD era but most of the songs sound so much truer to their original form with Duffs punchy bass, background vocals and Slash's guitar.  I couldn't even watch those other incarnations of GnR. It was a complete joke. This is so much better. Not to mention them coming back seems to have lit a fire under Axl's ass and they have the old logos back. 

I think they are kicking ass for a bunch of 50 something year old..  Now I just hope they can tweak the line up a bit more.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Graeme said:

*Not everyone who wanted a reunion is a miserable bastard, but those who hung around just to pour out vitriol at the post-2000 band and were never going to give them a chance because of who they were replacing rather than who they were really annoyed me.

And they're probably really glad that era is over. This now, is probably all they ever wanted.

3 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I traveled to Vegas,, Great time but Meh show.. Saw my hometown show.. Had the chance to fly to Cincinnatti but didn't. That was more about the prices for me now. If the prices were lower I would have been all over the country last summer. This summer too.  I am looking at a show but unless I get some super deal on Stubhub, not doing it.

I also think they will switch it up a bit after the break. Nothing crazy.. There are some bands out there that play the EXACT same show night after night. Guns seem to switch up 3 or 4 songs a night. I mean it usually with something predictable like Don't Cry for Patience or the Duff songs. I like the subtle changes too. Like the jams, Slash's song intros and solos. They all morph as the tour goes on. Axl also deviates his performances a little depending on his mood. Changes the lyrics a bit throws in an extra mother fuckers. 

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to come off as a Set List Bitcher (tm). 

I don't mind if they play the same set every night and I'm happy with the current batch of tunes they're doing. 

I'm just not  excited about the show itself if that makes any sense. Everyone (Axl very much included) just seems like they're going through the motions to me. 

Like I said, I'll go see them in whatever city I'm in if they're there at the same time. I just don't see myself going out of my way to see them unless I see some footage that excites me again. 

• Like 2

Im very much enjoying these shows, going to 6 shows. Done 3 last year. 

However ive been on this forum since 2005 and i can tell you, people here get bored quite quickly. People went crazy when the hammerstein shows were announced, almost on a vegas level. People went nuts when they brought back don't cry into the setlist. They went crazy when Estranged and civil war was played.  Remember when duff played some shows? That was huge.

Now?? All those things are taken for granted at a show. We have slash in the line up now and already people have lost interest and want something knew from GNR to feed that Interest in the band.

To me izzy and steven are not important. I'd take izzy as a 3rd guitarist if he was commited 100%, but apart from that im totally happy with this line up one year on

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to come off as a Set List Bitcher (tm). 

I don't mind if they play the same set every night and I'm happy with the current batch of tunes they're doing. 

I'm just not  excited about the show itself if that makes any sense. Everyone (Axl very much included) just seems like they're going through the motions to me. 

Like I said, I'll go see them in whatever city I'm in if they're there at the same time. I just don't see myself going out of my way to see them unless I see some footage that excites me again. 

Most bands lose a bit of steam mid way through a long run of shows. I know they've had plenty of off time too though, so that isn't really an excuse. 

A year from now, if there's not an update about them being in the studio then I'm checking out. I'm going to see the "reunion" next month and I'm excited to see it, but I won't be as forgiving next time around.

As far as I'm concerned these shows get a pass for me as it's been 20+ years since all three shared a stage. I'm fairly happy with what they've done so far, some really good performances, some mediocre... but no performance thus far that has gripped me.

The biggest issues that I can see, without physically having seen them yet is - still too much flab in the set. WAY too many down moments like extended Slash solos in RQ, pre-organised guitar interludes between songs, the really long main Slash Solo leading in to Godfather, Richards solo. There are portions of the audience who eat that stuff for breakfast, but for me I much prefer a tighter shorter show. I'm a guitar player and a fan of both guys BUT when I'm at a show I don't want to hear either guy noodling around on exercises, or a HIGHLY over rated version of a movie theme... Keep your solos short and to the point, preferably build a jam out of them like 2009-2014 years. I'd much prefer if Slash just played one of his solo songs and had one of the band (maybe Melissa) sing it. The pacing is set out to give Axl a breather, but it's a downer and far from entertaining the way they've set it out.

That's not to mention Axl being on and off with his vocals from night to night. If you can be consistent with AC/DC you can be consistent with Guns... and if you can't be consistent with Guns MAYBE you need to ask yourself IF you actually enjoy what you're doing and if the answer isn't yes, focus on something that does make you want to work hard. NOT saying he's going through the motions, but the effort Axl put into AC/DC compared to this reunion is night and day, and I'm not even talking about the usual BS about rasp.

15 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Im very much enjoying these shows, going to 6 shows. Done 3 last year. 

However ive been on this forum since 2005 and i can tell you, people here get bored quite quickly. People went crazy when the hammerstein shows were announced, almost on a vegas level. People went nuts when they brought back don't cry into the setlist. They went crazy when Estranged and civil war was played.  Remember when duff played some shows? That was huge.

Now?? All those things are taken for granted at a show. We have slash in the line up now and already people have lost interest and want something knew from GNR to feed that Interest in the band.

To me izzy and steven are not important. I'd take izzy as a 3rd guitarist if he was commited 100%, but apart from that im totally happy with this line up one year on

Exactly this. 

One year on I'll still in awe of it all.
I'm expecting the wheels to come off any day now.
I still hope the Appetite five get to play together again at some point.
I'm besides myself that I'm won't be attending their London shows.

Edited by ChineseDemocracy2004

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I think a full reunion would be amazing. I also understand that all these years later it is easier said than done. I am can be satisfied with it not being a full reunion too. It is just that the cast around them is a cluster fuck. They could have do e much better.

I haven't seen the show yet so I can't say, but I've seen youtube videos that seem great like Rocket Queen. I do go on to say the AFD5 is the dream. I keep thinking we are working our way back to 1991 when Izzy will rejoin for a leg of the tour in 2019, then they will record 2020. But maybe RIR this year could be the reunion. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It certainly is different. There are still some unfortunate parallels to the dismal CD era but most of the songs sound so much truer to their original form with Duffs punchy bass, background vocals and Slash's guitar.  I couldn't even watch those other incarnations of GnR. It was a complete joke. This is so much better. Not to mention them coming back seems to have lit a fire under Axl's ass and they have the old logos back. 

I think they are kicking ass for a bunch of 50 something year old..  Now I just hope they can tweak the line up a bit more.

Agree 100%...I love the spin Duff and Slash have done, such as the new Better intro...which is awesome. And yeah, I have tried a few times to watch clips of shows from the NuGuns time, and it is like nails on a chalkboard. I.can't.do.it. :facepalm:

I am SO freakin glad Slash and Duff are back, love em!!! My god, they were MISSED! rock3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

Nobody knows who has written the new Better intro. I think that it was written for the unreleased remix album by Melissa/Brain or Pitman.

It's just the riff after the second chorus of the recorded version so i guess it was written by Axl and Finck.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1