A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

1 hour ago, Silverburst80 said:

It's just the riff after the second chorus of the recorded version so i guess it was written by Axl and Finck.

More likely Finck or Buckethead (or both). I'm pretty sure Axl only writes lyrics to the rock songs on CD, but thats just my guess. I usually inferred that the only guitar parts he write are usually supplemental to the music, not the basis of the music.

• Like 1

On 11.4.2017 at 1:02 AM, Apollo said:

Do you get angry at the many bands that actually do mix up their setlist during tours?

I like it when bands mix up there setlist. But this is a GNR reunion tour and I had no chance to attend a show in the early '90s. I want them to play their classics, I want to see them playing Coma life. I don't care if they'll play CD or Better and I hope they'll not play catcher. Other than that it's a pretty cool set, so why should they mix it up in their first tour. They already do some changes here and there, that's enough. 

It's a completely other story when they decide to tour europe a second time or if they release a new album.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2017 at 10:03 AM, Len Cnut said:

they might vomit harder if they saw their 50 yr old selves trying their best to act like their 20 yr old selves based on a bunch of fans expecting them to exist in a time warp.  Although having said that their 20 yr old selves might see just that in the current incarnation too.  

I don't expect them to exist in a time warp, I'm 46 and I know only too fucking well that it ain't possible. I've whinged about this before, I want a rock show with some lowering of the facade. This has been the biggest reunion in recent rock history with not one reference to it from "The machine".

I think Slash, Duff and Axl had so much chaos in their musical careers that at this stage in life they are driven to have a super controlled, almost medicinally accurate performance band that never fucks up or comes off script. I had hoped for a Metallica meets Bruce Springsteen type of set up with lots of hard rock , great stories, warmth, humility and humanity. 

I'm glad they are happy and working together but they have charged from a Dodge Viper into a Lexus RC... Pretty? Yes. Precise? Yes. Well crafted? Yes. Enjoyable? Absolutely. Exhilarating?..not so much.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Intercourse said:

I don't expect them to exist in a time warp, I'm 46 and I know only too fucking well that it ain't possible. I've whinged about this before, I want a rock show with some lowering of the facade. This has been the biggest reunion in recent rock history with not one reference to it from "The machine".

I think Slash, Duff and Axl had so much chaos in their musical careers that at this stage in life they are driven to have a super controlled, almost medicinally accurate performance band that never fucks up or comes off script. I had hoped for a Metallica meets Bruce Springsteen type of set up with lots of hard rock , great stories, warmth, humility and humanity. 

I'm glad they are happy and working together but they have charged from a Dodge Viper into a Lexus RC... Pretty? Yes. Precise? Yes. Well crafted? Yes. Enjoyable? Absolutely. Exhilarating?..not so much.

Axl should bring back the rocking chair and recite some poems with Slash playing licks and fills throughout the reading. It could be an hour long Fat duo spot with Slash bringing out poisonous snakes for the crowd to interact with.

Cause they're old. Sounds like you still expect them to be something they're not anymore, or not driven to be as far as Axl is concerned. In a nutshell:

1. it's also his job, can't fuck up his voice, it's tunes he sang for decades, and he won't rehearse for Gn'R shows. He even said he likes to sing Chinese the best. Means the old shit not as exciting. It's not a passion project like AC/DC was.

2. the shit they can do to make the show feel more vibrant for hardcore fans is limited without a new release.

3. live, it's all a means to an end. More Stones territory nowdays so it's more structured, providing the casuals what they want is a main goal. Axl doesn't care as much about the quality of his live performances as he does about studio material and he wants to make more money so this is what you get.

If you want to cash in, cash in, don't self destruct.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

Axl should bring back the rocking chair and recite some poems with Slash playing licks and fills throughout the reading. It could be an hour long Fat duo spot in the show, with Slash also bringing out poisonous snakes for the crowd to interact with.

Cause they're old. Sounds like you still expect them to be something they're not anymore, or not driven to be as far as Axl is concerned. In a nutshell:

1. it's also his job, can't fuck up his voice, it's tunes he sang for decades, and he won't rehearse for Gn'R shows. He even said he likes to sing Chinese the best. Means the old shit not as exciting. It's not a passion project like AC/DC was.

2. the shit they can do to make the show feel more vibrant for hardcore fans is limited without a new release.

3. live, it's all a means to an end. More Stones territory nowdays so it's more structured, providing the casuals what they want is a main goal. Axl doesn't care as much about the quality of his live performances as he does for studio material and he wants to make more money so this is what you get.

Totally agree Rovim but we can't be saying 'Chinese instead of the old shit'. Oh My God was released closer to You Could Be Mine than Chinese was to present day. It's stale. It was a major cash in, its great people are enjoying it.

Personally as someone who has a music career and a guitar shop becauee of Izzy I am personally finding it tough. It's just Richard instead of Gilby, Frank instead of Matt and Melissa instead of Teddy/Roberta and fucking Dizzy Reed who outside playing what Axl did in the studio on Estranged is nul and void. The REAL cancer.

What we got was a return to the back in the day but a return to the often scoffed at circus GN'R, the bloated GN'R, the touring money machine GN'R. Duff is as 'punk' as Alan fucking Sugar. Money, money, money. The real deal and real chemistry are still a million miles away and sadly so is new music IMO.

Edited by Izzymacbeth

2 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Totally agree Rovim but we can't be saying 'Chinese instead of the old shit'. Oh My God was released closer to You Could Be Mine than Chinese was to present day. It's stale. It was a major cash in, its great people are enjoying it.

Personally as someone who has a music career and a guitar shop becauee of Izzy I am personally finding it tough. It's just Richard instead of Gilby, Frank instead of Matt and Melissa instead of Teddy/Roberta and fucking Dizzy Reed who outside playing what Axl did in the studio on Estranged is nul and void. The REAL cancer.

What we got was a return to the back in the day but a return to the often scoffed at circus GN'R, the bloated GN'R, the touring money machine GN'R. Duff is as 'punk' as Alan fucking Sugar. Money, money, money. The real deal and real chemistry are still a million miles away and sadly so is new music IMO.

What we got is more members from the classic line up in addition to the base line up and Mellisa. For Izzy hardcore fans it's probably different. But we got Izzy with Axl and in the future we could get Izzy sometimes, who knows?

Dizzy is not real cancer. He just wants to keep his position in the band. Axl wanted him in the band, it's not his fault he was always a good employee. People can't behave like Pitman all the time. It's too dangerous.

And Guns was always a circus, now it's Axl's circus and friends.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Everything is awesome.

the only thing i miss is Axl 2010...his anger his energy and the way of singing.But im ok with the reunion

And boys and girls.....there will be a record for sure.FOR SURE.First there will be a DVD /CD about this tour and then record.

On 4/10/2017 at 0:33 PM, Graeme said:

Hated it then, still hate it now. Had no interest in "seeing Axl and Slash share a stage together". I love those guys for the songs they wrote, but as far as I was concermed, that era of the band was over and belonged in the 1990s.

I found the whole Chinese Democracy thing fascinating and I really wanted it to succeed, especially cause there were so many people, especially journalists, those working in the music industry and miserable bastards* on this forum who wanted it to fail and for Axl to do the "ïnevitable" thing and reunite. In the end it seemed like a boring-ass victory for the Irving Azoffs of the world... And that those of us who supported it were naive to the point of stupidity for expecting anything else. That stung.

*Not everyone who wanted a reunion is a miserable bastard, but those who hung around just to pour out vitriol at the post-2000 band and were never going to give them a chance because of who they were replacing rather than who they were really annoyed me.

I feel your pain but Axl had his chance and blew it. He had the best lineup money could buy and a record company that was dying for GnR product. They gave him everything and more. Despite the grumbling opposition from hardcore fans, he had every chance to take over the world with the new band. The mainstream support was there, even the material was there. People were rooting for Axl and Nu-Guns early on -- remember the positive reviews the HOB shows received? It's only after he completely choked in 2002 that people turned their back and all the bridges he had burned in the 90's came back to haunt him. The executives he pissed off back in the day were more than happy to dance on the grave of Chinese Democracy.

I don't know what happened with Axl but I feel like he just lost his nerve. That and his shock at seeing the world move on and embrace other things. Those '02 shows selling 1/2 the seats at arenas must have been a huge shock to the system. But he did it to himself - they could have sold well if he had taken those gigs more seriously. And let's face it, Nu Guns was a disgrace by the end of their run. A sad run down version of a powerful band back in '01 and '02. By the end, Ron Thal was the only one who even gave a shit. You wouldn't have gotten anything further no matter how long that band had limped along. The record company had washed their hands of Axl and Nu Guns. It was over and the band was broke - Axl saw that project to the bitter end and literally ran the brand into the ground. They were struggling to fill arenas so even touring wasn't as lucrative as before, especially without new music in the pipeline. Nu Guns was creatively and financially torpedoed prior to Axl and Slash reuniting. He had nowhere left to go really.

With this reunion, you might get new music. With Chinese Democracy, you were sold a dream but it never materialized into anything aside from one good, albeit overcooked album. That era was seen as a failure by optimistic standards and an unmitigated disaster by any realistic assessment. What would you rather have? Axl going into retirement instead of a reunion tour?

Look on the bright side, at least Thal was on Chinese Democracy and had a chance to tour in support of the album. Something is better than nothing right?

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

What would you rather have? Axl going into retirement instead of a reunion tour? . I thought the retirement would happen first. After a lot of things that axl said about the old group (his nu version of guns is what should have originally been guns), slash is a cancer. I thought no matter how many dollars would have thrown at axl he would have said no, as accepting the reunion meant he has gone against everything he said and he would have looked like he sold out and more importantly meant that the effort he put into CD was just a waste of time.

Edited by Sydney Fan

14 hours ago, Jane M. said:

I've never been the biggest fan of Dizzy (and never will be) but calling him a cancer is harsh. Damn.

'Cancer: destructive practice or phenomenon that is hard to contain or eradicate.'

Hard to contain: give him bongos

Hard to eradicate: Axl can't sing and play Estranged at same time. 

Thats what I mean. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth
  • Like 1

I'm a huge fan from Dizzy. He gave me the inspiration to learn the keyboard and various percussion instruments. A truly amazing musician. 

Edited by Sosso

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

What would you rather have? Axl going into retirement instead of a reunion tour? . I thought the retirement would happen first. After a lot of things that axl said about the old group (his nu version of guns is what should have originally been guns), slash is a cancer. I thought no matter how many dollars would have thrown at axl he would have said no, as accepting the reunion meant he has gone against everything he said and he would have looked like he sold out and more importantly meant that the effort he put into CD was just a waste of time.

People can change their minds. That's just a natutal human behavoir.

6 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I thought no matter how many dollars would have thrown at axl he would have said no

You have any idea how expensive it gets to support multiple Brazilian families in California these days?

Axl needed the cash infusion a reunion provided to keep his ecosystem going. I suspect 20 years of spending like Axl Rose without the commiserate income had finally started eating into his financial health just a bit.

The reunion solved all those problems for as far as the eye can see.

1 hour ago, Naupis said:

You have any idea how expensive it gets to support multiple Brazilian families in California these days?

Axl needed the cash infusion a reunion provided to keep his ecosystem going. I suspect 20 years of spending like Axl Rose without the commiserate income had finally started eating into his financial health just a bit.

The reunion solved all those problems for as far as the eye can see.

He probably pisses away so much money. Tons of leeches to support and he's cash poor, asset rich.

You've got the Brazilians and their whole clan, Del, Stuart Bailey, Paul Huge, Dizzy, the astrologers checking his horoscope every hour - probably just the tip of the iceberg.

And you just know the nanny or Fernando will inherit his whole fortune.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RONIN said:

He probably pisses away so much money. Tons of leeches to support and he's cash poor, asset rich.

You've got the Brazilians and their whole clan, Del, Stuart Bailey, Paul Huge, Dizzy, the astrologers checking his horoscope every hour - probably just the tip of the iceberg.

And you just know the nanny or Fernando will inherit his whole fortune.

:rofl-lol:

omg

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, Black Sabbath said:

I plan on going to 6 or more shows this year, so if that tells you anything... 

Actually, that doesn't tell us much Tyler. But hey, and you're a mod so cheap likes are easier to get, right :lol:

Edited by Billsfan

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:42 AM, Oldest Goat said:

*Looks at Billsfan's inadequate number of likes and giggles* :lol:

Wow, what an exciting day for you. You almost contributed something tp a Guns N Roses discussion:lol:

Edited by Billsfan

On 4/12/2017 at 7:59 AM, Intercourse said:

Great post. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 3:33 PM, Rovim said:

Axl should bring back the rocking chair and recite some poems with Slash playing licks and fills throughout the reading. It could be an hour long Fat duo spot with Slash bringing out poisonous snakes for the crowd to interact with.

3. live, it's all a means to an end. More Stones territory nowdays so it's more structured, providing the casuals what they want is a main goal. Axl doesn't care as much about the quality of his live performances as he does about studio material and he wants to make more money so this is what you get.

What is wrong with expecting them to be more interactive? Talk a bit, jam a bit, change the set list a bit... Bruce Springsteen is 10 years older than these guys and pulls this off at every show he does. GNR once had personality, now..?

You don't have to be young to have humor, humility and warmth.

They are not self destructive traits. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Intercourse said:

What is wrong with expecting them to be more interactive? Talk a bit, jam a bit, change the set list a bit... Bruce Springsteen is 10 years older than these guys and pulls this off at every show he does. GNR once had personality, now..?

You don't have to be young to have humor, humility and warmth.

They are not self destructive traits. 

Took your time with the reply, didn't you? got really confused. I'll edit this post with my reply.