A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

Recap of 2016-17 tours

In comparison to the 2016 shows, the band sounds good, much tighter than the previous leg.

They seemed to have found a way to compensate for the "wet blanket chemistry" that plagues this current lineup.  

Slash is sounding great and on his best game. Huge tone improvement even compared to last year.

Axl is still physically not in touring shape. His voice sounds like it needs a rest period.

The atmosphere of the last couple of gigs seemed really great.

I think what carries this band is really the instrumentalists bar the drumming.  I feel either Axl needs to work on his fitness/voice to survive the tours or really take time to rest his voice.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was really happy about the reunion. I think that the feel of the whole thing is a little phony, a little insincere, and more driven by money and the industry people who have begged and pleaded to get these guys back together. Slash and Duff seem more like they're just hired musicians for the tour. I understand these guys have bills to pay just like anyone else, but I just don't see the sincerity and enthusiasm that I used to see with the UYI tour and the Velvet Revolver live performances. Sometimes it seems their hearts aren't completely in the right place.

With that said, I still love the fact that they are doing this. While they might not be as close as they used to be, the tour will help them bond and grow closer. There is still hope for new material, more tours, and possibly reuniting with the other original members of GN'R. The pieces of the puzzle are there. The guys just need to put them in place.

On 2.4.2017 at 8:42 AM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Can't believe it's been a whole year since the Trobadour. I remember the night like it was yesterday. 

My question is, now that you've known about this for a year, what's your position with Guns? Do you like this lineup? Hate it? Where do we go from here, will there be new music? Let's please not turn this into a "I hate Fortus/Frank and want Steven and Izzy" thing, we've had enough of those discussions.

Since I'd never ask a question I couldn't answer, I stand pretty well with Guns. But I see no new music in the future. A year has given me time to see that Axl is much happier with this lineup than the 2009-2014 lineup and I really enjoy the chemistry this band holds. It's a nostalgia tour right now though which is sad.

After the excitement of Troubadour my interest petered quickly out. I became so indifferent to GN'R that I have recently taken a long time off the forums. It just doesn't excite me. That being said, the current lineup is good and the shows seem great. I just feel new music is becoming less and less of a possibility and I am just not cut out for nostalgia. But it's good, I guess.

55 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

After the excitement of Troubadour my interest petered quickly out. I became so indifferent to GN'R that I have recently taken a long time off the forums. It just doesn't excite me. That being said, the current lineup is good and the shows seem great. I just feel new music is becoming less and less of a possibility and I am just not cut out for nostalgia. But it's good, I guess.

Oh GOD  resuscitate  SOUL MONSTER, i missed you very smart man

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Blake Sabbath said:

More than a year later I'm finally about to stand in the Golden Circle mosh and catch this shit live in concert! ;-D

Agreed :lol: We have waited a long time for this in England, it's gonna be great to see without looking for scopes and links the whole show :lol:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Agreed :lol: We have waited a long time for this in England, it's gonna be great to see without looking for scopes and links the whole show :lol:

I can't wait to hear all about it from you. Have a blast and enjoy. I know you will!  rock3 :slash:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

In your experience, does it get boring after several shows? Or you enjoy every show equally?

I know you weren't asking me but I'll reply anyway :) 

I saw 3 shows last year and it got boring by the 3rd. I came very close to skipping the next show here in Detroit in November but ended up going mostly because it's a new arena and a buddy who's never seen them really wanted me to go with him. 

After this one, I think I'm done until there's new material if that ever happens.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 6:57 PM, BringitBackhome348 said:

I was really happy about the reunion. I think that the feel of the whole thing is a little phony, a little insincere, and more driven by money and the industry people who have begged and pleaded to get these guys back together. Slash and Duff seem more like they're just hired musicians for the tour. I understand these guys have bills to pay just like anyone else, but I just don't see the sincerity and enthusiasm that I used to see with the UYI tour and the Velvet Revolver live performances. Sometimes it seems their hearts aren't completely in the right place.

With that said, I still love the fact that they are doing this. While they might not be as close as they used to be, the tour will help them bond and grow closer. There is still hope for new material, more tours, and possibly reuniting with the other original members of GN'R. The pieces of the puzzle are there. The guys just need to put them in place.

You mean like how Axl developed a bond with Ron Thal and DJ Ashba after spending six years on the road with them?

You can't force chemistry to happen after 20 years of not talking. 

Slash looks miserable as sin on this tour, having reduced himself to passive aggressively shredding over Axl's Chinese Democracy songs, some of which were obviously originally written as a dig towards Slash.

I mean, you can't make this shit up, watching Slash stand next to Axl as he sings "you know where to put your just shut up and saaaaiiiiing". :lol:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I know you weren't asking me but I'll reply anyway :) 

I saw 3 shows last year and it got boring by the 3rd. I came very close to skipping the next show here in Detroit in November but ended up going mostly because it's a new arena and a buddy who's never seen them really wanted me to go with him. 

After this one, I think I'm done until there's new material if that ever happens.

Damn. Thats what I thought. I guess the advantage of living in a city/country where bands hardly visit, it will make it more special when you finally get to see them.

13 hours ago, Towelie said:

You can't force chemistry to happen after 20 years of not talking. 

Slash looks miserable as sin on this tour, having reduced himself to passive aggressively shredding over Axl's Chinese Democracy songs, some of which were obviously originally written as a dig towards Slash.

I mean, you can't make this shit up, watching Slash stand next to Axl as he sings "you know where to put your just shut up and saaaaiiiiing". :lol:

This line-up definitely won't last forever. Once a quiter, always a quiter.

I think its great.  The show I saw was amazing.

I was always a big fan of Aerosmith, not hardcore like Guns but I really like them.  Their latest tour sucks.  They played a very tired  2 hour show with no energy or flow. (Granted they are the wrong side of their 60's)

Made me appreciate Guns so much more.

I hope Guns make new music or call it a day though.  I don't want to see touring forever.  

The funny thing is, we on this forum are a very small part of the people going to the shows. I heard a lot of people there yesterday, that was kinda pleasantly surprized and celebated when their favourite songs were played, songs like YCBM and Rocket Queen ?

They can tour this year basically for the casuals only, and when you think about it, a tour like this is is only 14 months in since the Troubadour... it is a bit hard to be patient with this band, seeing that many of us have waited for 23 years prior, but It is easy to see why this tour is a long one... lots of money to be made, and lots of people are made happy :)

Edited by Izzyslash

I just can't wait to see them in Copenhagen in 6 days - I don't give a shit about the criticism of this band about how they're just money grabbing or not. The fact is that Duff and Slash is back on Axl's good side again, and that is something we've waited for since 1996!

So i'm just enjoying the fact that they're out there and playing together, and without Youtube and willing fans that wants to record them and share it, this is a salute to those fans. :headbang: The rest is a bonus, if there's an album on the way! :-)

just found out this YCBM cover:

I must say that in this particular song, Snowy Shaw sounds better than Axl nowadays, lol! yeah yeah, I know it's unfair to compare live performance to a studio cover, but still... 

now, start stoning me, pls. ;)

Edited by zombux

At first, I was excited. Reunion was coming true and there were still hope, that Izzy and even Steven would join it. First disappoinment to me was, that they didn´t do that. Reasons - especially "loot-case" with Izzy - were ridiculous and made me agry. But I tried to forget it and tried to focus better things. First gig in Troubadour was very cool and magic many ways. Of course: it really happened! Las Vegas gigs were great too, I watched the from periscope. In later tour Steve Adler finally joined band - and had only two or one fucking songs to play. That was great, but that was also sad to fans and man himself. Everybody wanted to see him playing more. In some gigs Axl had pretty bad voice too, which is sad.

After that I started to lose my interest, even though I didn´t lose it all. I´m gonna see their gig soon and try to forget negative things. If AFD5 ever happens, I´m ready to pay big money for it. But I must say, I believe that´s never gonna happen. 

But music lives forever!  

Edited by Loot Man