A Year Later - Where Do You Stand with GN'R?

Disappointed. My excitement has worn off but looking back I can only blame myself for it. When I heard about a GNR reunion I thought of Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven together when it's never been advertised as such. 

At least 3/5 are together again (Axl and Slash especially, after so many years wasted on nonsense) and the other 2 are doing great too so...:shrugs:

3 hours ago, AlexC said:

I still think it's unfair to demand new music and expect it so soon. Once this tour is over then those questions are legitimate. Right now they're on tour and the shows are great. I really don't understand how you can say "there's not gonna be any new music" when Axl has even said that he wants to put new Guns N' Roses music out. The whole Chinese Democracy wait doesn't count now Slash and Duff are back and yes, that does change the dynamic of the band. Significantly. This line-up change was huge. Just fucking wait and in the mean time, go and see Axl, Slash and Duff do their thing live, they're great!

LOL Not fair to ask for new music? You been living under a rock or what? We've got 1.... ONE! Guns N' Roses album in the last 24 years but you think it's unfair to ask for new music "so soon". The Chinese Democracy era doesn't count? Are you fucking serious? You bet you ass it counts. Axl allegedly has a vault full of almost finished music. Slash can write a song during a  lunch break. With the amount of talent in this band and the amount of material they no doubt have stored up you think it's unfair to suggest the band should've given us at least a new single to tour behind? Unreal. Only in GnR La La land do fans lower their standards and expectations to such cesspool levels.  Every other damn band on the planet release a GH album with 1 or 2 new songs attached to it when they do their reunion tours but you think it's unreasonable to think GnR should've included something new this tour. Fucking hilarious.  Guns N Roses have just done the most half assed reunion we've ever seen. they couldn't even be bothered to get a proper GnR drummer despite two of them being out there and being completely capable and better than what we have right now, they added a fucking troll doll behind keys for no apparent reason, they've given us a stagnant set list with a cover by the Who that fans hate and yet fans still say "Just have a little patience man".....  It's beyond hilarious.  Some of you like being abused I swear. 

• Like 2

I love it even more than I thought I would. 

I did not realize periscoping was a thing until a year ago. Getting to watch the shows and get a tiny ittybitty taste... I love it. I know that it isn't anything at all like being at a show. The cell phone doesn't acurately pick up the acoustics. The image is often bad. Can't feel the music rumbling inside as much as hearing it. AND don't have other excited fans standing on all sides feeding the excitement higher.

Periscope isn't even a pale imitation,  but it makes me happy to watch and hang out on the forum when I can. Then watch the better videos that start coming out after. 

I am excited for all the people who are getting a chance to see them do their thing who hadn't had a chance to yet. I am happy for every one who has seen them and is going to get to see them again. I am going to be sad when this tour is over.

Hopefully there is going to be new things on the horizon. I wouldn't count on it though, and will enjoy what I get while I have it.

• Like 2

Being that I was once a huge fan that had seen them  a handful of times during the Afd/UYI era's I was pretty excited a year ago when the semi reunion was announced .Seen them in Vegas kind of was  just ok ,hard when your frontman is sidelined like Axl was.So I went again when they came around to Dodger Stadium and glad I did ,the show kicked ass .Will I see them again?Most likely no.Too many other good bands who still put out new music and whose tickets are much cheaper .

It was pretty cool seeing Slash, Axl, Duff and Steven on stage together, because I wasn't sure if that was ever going to happen again. But at the end of the day it's all just nostalgia for most of the people, the only way it's going to really mean something is if we get new music out of it... something that is actually a worthy follow up to UYI. Even if Izzy joins them on stage, it will be cool again for sure, but the novelty will wear off again. We need these guys working together on music because together they can make (hopefully still) something great, and if that won't happen this will go down as a money grab and nostalgia tour and nothing more.

When it comes down to people complaining about the setlists, that is fair, but it's also fair to say that during the UYI tour they stuck to the same songs mostly too. Maybe a little bit more diverse than now, but it wasn't that different. So I guess this is what you can expect. Kinda lame? Yeah.

Edited by EvanG

The past year was incredible. I had amazing experiences at both the GN'R and AC/DC shows I went to, and I think people who are being cynical about a lack of new album and bashing the band should hold off for a bit because you really never know for sure what might happen within the next few months... now that the core lineup is back together I imagine the record labels would be offering them all kinds of deals to record new music. 

• Like 3

GnR didn't make nearly as much profit off of Illusions Tours as it could have.  GnR didn't make nearly as much profit off of Chinese Democracy as it potentially could have.  This line up is basically last people standing from those eras.

This is not so much a re-grouping as it is a re-couping.

My reality is that I'm not on the edge of my seat with excitement today.  But I look forward to more good times with this band.  And more mystifying stupidity as well.  Maybe even something amazing.

I like the NITL line-up for what it is, but what it is is a bit anti-climatic. In the NuGNR era I said if Axl was just gonna keep touring the same songs, he may as well bring Slash and Duff back and play them properly. And he did, and the shows I saw last year were a blast. But it's looking more and more like just a touring band. Honestly I was way more excited about going to the shows last year, and having heard Axl's performances this year I'm more excited about possible Axl/DC shows and albums than the continuing GNR tour. :shrugs: Hopefully something non-AC/DC related can light a fire under Axl again.

I am not sure that it makes sense to stop in the middle of a tour to drop an album? 

I find it strange that so many fans think that action is logical. 

They are still playing new markets. Even when they come back to the US they'll be playing new markets with the possible exception of St. Louis. 

• Like 1

Cant wait to see them again - Adler will  be a big part of the next tour - Slash is beasting - Duff is thumping - Axl is getting better every show- I would like the set list to change a little but Ill take seeing the boys together anytime 

24 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

I am not sure that it makes sense to stop in the middle of a tour to drop an album? 

They are still playing new markets. Even when they come back to the US they'll be playing new markets with the possible exception of St. Louis. 

I don't want them to stop. But, are they planning to make a new album at some point? It seems a new album will never happen. Right now there is a hiatus. Is there a sign they are writing/recording a couple of new songs to be played in the up coming tour in Europe and the U.S.? The only news we had is yet another RIR.

• Like 1

Well the show I went to was good, I wanted to see them once at least and I did. 

I wouldn't spend my savings on them again unless there is some new music or its a proper reunion with Izzy and Steven. 

It was great news a year ago. Axl, Duff and Slash sound great and solid, but the backing musicians are pretty bad. 

I enjoyed Slash's solo band, it was worth the money. I enjoyed Axl's solo band too cause that was the first time I saw Axl live and he sounded great even though he was 3 hours late. 

I have no problem with nostalgia, nostalgia can be a blast. I'm as sick of SCOM as anyone, Axl sounds horrible on it, but it was my favorite moment in the show by far because of the crowd. People just losing their damn minds. Collective joy. The band sounded tight. I liked it. I don't regret going. I wish I could just stand back and enjoy this as a casual fan, like I wish I could go back and experience Christmas as a kid again. 

This last year as a whole feels like this: Someone has said to Axl, "It's just Slash and Duff. Look, the managers and lawyers will do all the talking, just get your ass onstage on time. You don't have to look at them or talk to them or rehearse with them. You don't have to make new music or do interviews. We'll use the same stage set up and setlist- you don't have to do anything but take the stage and smile at Slash once or twice and we'll give you a million dollars a night." And he did it. And good on him, I mean that sincerely. For someone like Axl, that's a sacrifice. It was great to see A/S/D onstage together. But that rigidness has affected the way the performances and tour actually feel, IMO.

Almost all successful bands kind of hate each other as they get older, Aerosmith and the Stones being just two examples- but they still manage to make business and band decisions and music together and that comes across in their performances and interviews. I'm not a huge AC/DC fan, but I enjoyed that show because against all odds, they actually felt like a band. GNR feels like a machine. Maybe that will change as they get more comfortable with each other- it's still early in the game.  But add Izzy and Steven, get them in a recording studio together, make them rehearse new songs. Take away all the safeguards and what you will have is a volatile Axl. Will anyone risk the $$$ for that? 

Mostly, I'm disappointed in my own expectations because I should have expected exactly this really. The writing was on the wall from the beginning.  I'm going to go forward expecting the status quo and it will be a lovely surprise if we get anything beyond that.

Image result for poehler lower your

• Like 3

I'm still happy with the ways things are.  I've seen various versions of GNR over the years, but the NIL was by far the best I've ever seen and I'm looking forward to seeing them again this year. Do I want new music and to see Izzy and Steven with them again?  Absolutely. However, life is short and we're all getting older and I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing Axl, Slash and Duff together because I was holding out or hoping for more.   If nothing happens after the next leg of the tour, then I might feel different but I'm not there yet.  

I also think that watching all the shows on periscope or YouTube tends to kill the excitement of the next live show a little bit, but that's my fault for watching it so much.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

I have no problem with nostalgia, nostalgia can be a blast. I'm as sick of SCOM as anyone, Axl sounds horrible on it, but it was my favorite moment in the show by far because of the crowd. People just losing their damn minds. Collective joy. The band sounded tight. I liked it. I don't regret going. I wish I could just stand back and enjoy this as a casual fan, like I wish I could go back and experience Christmas as a kid again. 

This last year as a whole feels like this: Someone has said to Axl, "It's just Slash and Duff. Look, the managers and lawyers will do all the talking, just get your ass onstage on time. You don't have to look at them or talk to them or rehearse with them. You don't have to make new music or do interviews. We'll use the same stage set up and setlist- you don't have to do anything but take the stage and smile at Slash once or twice and we'll give you a million dollars a night." And he did it. And good on him, I mean that sincerely. For someone like Axl, that's a sacrifice. It was great to see A/S/D onstage together. But that rigidness has affected the way the performances and tour actually feel, IMO.

Almost all successful bands kind of hate each other as they get older, Aerosmith and the Stones being just two examples- but they still manage to make business and band decisions and music together and that comes across in their performances and interviews. I'm not a huge AC/DC fan, but I enjoyed that show because against all odds, they actually felt like a band. GNR feels like a machine. Maybe that will change as they get more comfortable with each other- it's still early in the game.  But add Izzy and Steven, get them in a recording studio together, make them rehearse new songs. Take away all the safeguards and what you will have is a volatile Axl. Will anyone risk the $$$ for that? 

Mostly, I'm disappointed in my own expectations because I should have expected exactly this really. The writing was on the wall from the beginning.  I'm going to go forward expecting the status quo and it will be a lovely surprise if we get anything beyond that.

Image result for poehler lower your

Best summary of the whole NITL thing i've ever read ! I've had no expectations after the troubadour gig, so therefore it was a great year 

2 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

I don't think anyone's suggesting they drop an album in the middle of a tour. But why haven't they released one of the NA shows they filmed last year, or even mentioned a live release? Not 1 new song released as a single or thrown onto a re-packaged Greatest Hits. A year into a tour isn't an illogical time to start wondering when they'll release something, especially when the tour was in support of nothing in the first place.

As far as new markets, aside from some Canadian dates they're playing NA markets that are pretty close to the ones they played last year.

29 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

But why haven't they released one of the NA shows they filmed last year, or even mentioned a live release? 

Duh. Because they are still on tour. A live recording usually is released once a tour is finished and not when you want it.

And really, from a business point of view it makes perfect sense to first tour without new material, as the reunion sells the tour and most people just want to hear the hits anyway. After that it makes sense to release a new album to give people another reason to see them live, even though the majority still will only be interested in the old hits, even if they manage to release a kick ass album. No new material, however good, will ever live up to the old songs in front of a stadium audience.

Edited by PatrickS77

16 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Duh. Because they are still on tour. A live recording usually is released once a tour is finished and not when you want it.

Seems like they should release the 2016 NA show before they do the 2017 NA shows, but whatever.

I agree with your second point though.

1 minute ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Seems like they should release the 2016 NA show before they do the 2017 NA shows, but whatever.

Geez. It's the same fucking show. It's the same tour. So you won't get any official release until the NITL Tour is over (if at all).

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

No they shouldnt. They wouldnt wanna risk people staying home cause theyve already seen the show on dvd. 

• Like 1