Axl's Guitar Chops

Hey guys, we know that with Izzy getting sober Slash doubled up on rhythm guitar for The Garden, Civil War and Locomotive (no Izzy credits on any of those) and obviously did a stellar job but no one ever talks about Axl doing it on Shotgun Blues. As much as I think the song isn't that great, and I know many feel the same way, listening to the left channel of the song Axl, to me, actually does a better Izzy impression than Slash, Gilby or Richard ever did or has IMO. 

Choppy, funky, dusty, in the pocket. 

Watcha think? 

1 hour ago, Frey said:

I remember someone (Duff? Slash?) saying that Axl's guitar playing is great and very Izzy-like. (Not on Shotgun Blues, but in general).

Slash called Axl the best musician in the band and that he downplays how good he is on guitar, but Slash felt he was extremely good especially after not seeing him between 94-96 and then showing up and seeing how accomplished he became in 2 years...something like that I'm sure someone can find the official quote 

30 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Slash called Axl the best musician in the band and that he downplays how good he is on guitar, but Slash felt he was extremely good especially after not seeing him between 94-96 and then showing up and seeing how accomplished he became in 2 years...something like that I'm sure someone can find the official quote 

Yeah, I remember that. But I aslo distinctly remember someone (maybe Duff then?) saying Axl's style of guitar playing was very reminiscent of Izzy. I probably mixed the two different quotes up.

Former employee Chris Pitman once waxed poetically about Axl's guitar playing. At the point in time when they were doing lots of direct collaborating at Axl's house, he was the primary guitar player.

I remember Pitman saying that Axl had such a unique style, that his guitar playing is as singular as his singing is. You can tell its him within moments.

I also remember Pitman saying Axl's licks were very much in the vein of Blue Oyster Cult.

• Like 1

I remember a clip from Axl saying he can only play two strings - which Im very confident is in reference to power chords that are common in rock n roll.  Thats what he plays in Dead Horse, There Was A Time, Shotgun Blues and live in Madagascar.  All those are great parts - but not technically advanced guitar wise.   Shotgun Blues is the most demanding part and I agree it is a really inspired and gritty performance - right in the pocket.

Would be cool to hear if he's got more chops!

PS:  I think Izzys musicality and technique might've gone over Duffs head!

Edited by soon
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Hey guys, we know that with Izzy getting sober Slash doubled up on rhythm guitar for The Garden, Civil War and Locomotive (no Izzy credits on any of those) and obviously did a stellar job but no one ever talks about Axl doing it on Shotgun Blues. As much as I think the song isn't that great, and I know many feel the same way, listening to the left channel of the song Axl, to me, actually does a better Izzy impression than Slash, Gilby or Richard ever did or has IMO. 

Watcha think? 

I thought Izzy played on civil war. Hence the left chanel being low in the mix for the most part 

20 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Watcha think? 

:o

15 hours ago, tajandreas said:

Damn.. reading this makes me want to hear more of his playing. Is there any footage outside of Dead Horse with him playing/soloing?

Hey layed down some guitar tracks on There Was A Time and Madagascar. According to Pitman he wrote all the guitar parts for Madagascar.

Edited by Sosso

20 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Hey layed down some guitar tracks on There Was A Time and Madagascar. According to Pitman he wrote all the guitar parts for Madagascar.

I don't think so he wrote all the guitar parts in Madagascar. 

That wah wah solo over the speech in Maddy, Bucket played that and its totally his style. 

Maybe Axl played some rhythm part in between like how he played in TWAT 

32 minutes ago, Słash said:

I don't think so he wrote all the guitar parts in Madagascar. 

That wah wah solo over the speech in Maddy, Bucket played that and its totally his style. 

Maybe Axl played some rhythm part in between like how he played in TWAT 

Axl playing guitar on 'Maddy"live in Rio 2001, He wrote all the gtr parts, including lead gtr. I recorded him playing lots of awesome guitar parts back then, I don't think people know what an original and cool guitar player he really is,....those were fun times"

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl's guitar chops and Slash's singing abilities do not exist.

Slash has a sweet voice, I would love to hear him sing a full song by himself.

Something slow, like Patience or an acoustic version of Don't Cry. 

Edited by Słash
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dangelus said:

God, some of these CD tracks could have been beautiful if they were left stripped down and not layered/produced the fuck out of!

True, the rawness of the songs make them better. 

• Like 1