Axl's Guitar Chops

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

I actually think Slash's voice is kind of cool. I love his bit on Dust N' Bones. :lol:

And Buick McKane. I wouldn't want to hear him singing a whole album but it is cool here and there. As for Shotgun Blues, I just gave it a fresh listen. If that really is Axl, he did a fine job. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

My least favorite GN'R song but listening to it again and singling out Axl the rhythm guitar is pretty cool. Basic punk, dolls, ramones style but he does a great job!

New job for axl

15 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

By all accounts Axl's a great guitar player, not surprised, given his talent on the piano.

If someone is good at piano doesn't necessarily mean they are good at other instruments.

I'm not able to say if he's a good guitarist or not because there isn't a lot out there to judge his skills on except for some standard guitar stuff, and I'm surprised anyone else can who doesn't know him personally. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

If someone is good at piano doesn't necessarily mean they are good at other instruments.

I'm not able to say if he's a good guitarist or not because there isn't a lot out there to judge his skills on except for some standard guitar stuff, and I'm surprised anyone else can who doesn't know him personally. 

He's def in the middle with Izzy and Richard top and Gilby and Paul bottom and Slash could never get in his own pocket doubling up. Hos solo songs prove it. Locomotive is epic cos its multiple guiyars riffing and not chording in the pocket. 

18 minutes ago, Izzymacbeth said:

He's def in the middle with Izzy and Richard top and Gilby and Paul bottom and Slash could never get in his own pocket doubling up. Hos solo songs prove it. Locomotive is epic cos its multiple guiyars riffing and not chording in the pocket. 

I have honestly know idea what you mean!

• Like 1

I think Axl's pretty capable of putting the foundations of a good song down on a guitar, i mean Shotgun Blues gets abit of shit but really musically its a great little snarling rock song and quite honestly if you put it on say Izzy's solo album Like a Dog i 'd say it would be a highlight of the album so its a pretty good impression of Izzy. I believe he wrote the basic guitar parts for Dead Horse and One in a Million too so he's pretty good at laying down something you can write a catchy melody over the top of. Obviously he seems to like writing more grandiose numbers with piano and synth(with some spectacular results like Estranged etc) but it would be interesting to hear what he'd come with just left with some guitars in a studio.

btw that TWAT acoustic sounds very Oasis-y before before it's buried in synth.

On 04/04/2017 at 8:05 AM, EvanG said:

Huh? Everyone in the band says he great, they know him, right?

3 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Huh? Everyone in the band says he great, they know him, right?

I haven't read every interview with every bandmember, so I'm not aware of the fact that everyone in the band is on record saying that he is a great guitar player.

It depends on what you think is a good guitar player anyway, and from those little pieces that I've heard I'm not able to say if he's good or not. And wasn't that the question in this thread?

Edited by EvanG

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

I haven't read every interview with every bandmember, so I'm not aware of the fact that everyone in the band is on record saying that he is a great guitar player.

It depends on what you think is a good guitar player anyway, and from those little pieces that I've heard I'm not able to say if he's good or not. And wasn't that the question in this thread?

Everyone as in EVERYONE who spoke about his guitar playing from the band praised it, so I imagine he's pretty good.

12 hours ago, MADDOGJONES said:

Everyone as in EVERYONE who spoke about his guitar playing from the band praised it, so I imagine he's pretty good.

Like I said, I don't read every interview so I don't know.

But I don't form my opinion on what other people say. Everyone has a different definition of what a good guitar player is anyway. All I'm saying is that from little pieces of guitar bites we (meaning most fans) have heard from Axl, I'm not able to form an opinion. 

On April 3, 2017 at 6:34 AM, Słash said:

This is Axl's part in TWAT

The strumming pattern is very musical.  Deceptively so.  The way that pattern is strummed on two tracks almost hints at a poly rhythmic thing. The vibe of the song is really lead by that forward push of the strumming.  Simple chords, but smart playing. Thanks for posting this.

14 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Axl's playing is pretty good but i'd rather hear more of him on the piano ( and not just November Rain...more songs like Dust in the Wind and It's Alright. ) JMO :).

And on the piano.. Mr. Axl Rose... Didn't Axl write the piano parts for Estranged and forgot how to play them or something?

• Like 1