Would 1988 Axl, Slash and Duff like the show they are putting on in 2017

No they wouldn't like it because 1988 GNR probably wouldn't be that impressed with people in their 50's. It's a combination of the arrogance of youth but also a time when people tend to be the most freely creative.

There is no reason why they can't put on great shows or create good music these days but to a certain degree they are now a legacy act, I'm sure they are probably fine with that even if their 25 year old selves wouldn't have been.

If someone went up to them and said, "30 years from now you will still be able to sell out stadiums around the world, the music you wrote is some of the most classic and well-known rock music of all time and is still popular across generations, and you guys will have the time and money to pursue any musical or artistic project you choose. There will be a lot of pressure in the next 25 years for you to do certain things, and you're going to ignore that and do what you damn well want, when you want to do it," do I think they'd be pleased? Damn straight.

For most of 1988 the band was concerned with surviving and staying alive, and they wanted Appetite to do well. I think that aside from anything else, they'd be very happy to know they achieved those goals. And given how chaotic their lives were and how things didn't go smoothly for them much of the time, they may have considered the chaos that followed to be par for the course.

And even in the 80s the band members seemed to have a lot of respect for the musicians who came before them, like Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Alice Cooper and Freddie Mercury - who all would have been at least 40 years old in 1988 - so I don't think they'd scoff at their future selves just because they were in their 50s.

Edited by stella
  • Like 3

First thing they'll think is "fuck we're still alive "  another thing is Axl will listen to himself and maybe have ended up preserving his voice a bit more and robbing us of some of his best performances. Then when they look at a picture of Melissa they'll ask " how many of us has fucked her ? " :lol:

• Like 2

I think there would be pride in the fact that they all made it through alive. But I think the wasted years would tinge them with sadness and regret at a missed opportunity to release at least 1 maybe 2 more killer albums and cement their place at the top. In saying that, 88 Axl/slash/duff would look at their achievements and probably be thankful that they got as far as they did given their circumstances. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stella said:

If someone went up to them and said, "30 years from now you will still be able to sell out stadiums around the world, the music you wrote is some of the most classic and well-known rock music of all time and is still popular across generations, and you guys will have the time and money to pursue any musical or artistic project you choose. There will be a lot of pressure in the next 25 years for you to do certain things, and you're going to ignore that and do what you damn well want, when you want to do it," do I think they'd be pleased? Damn straight.

For most of 1988 the band was concerned with surviving and staying alive, and they wanted Appetite to do well. I think that aside from anything else, they'd be very happy to know they achieved those goals. And given how chaotic their lives were and how things didn't go smoothly for them much of the time, they may have considered the chaos that followed to be par for the course.

And even in the 80s the band members seemed to have a lot of respect for the musicians who came before them, like Aerosmith, the Rolling Stones, Elton John, Alice Cooper and Freddie Mercury - who all would have been at least 40 years old in 1988 - so I don't think they'd scoff at their future selves just because they were in their 50s.

Agreed! Everyone has regrets, sure, but who wouldn't be happy to know that their music is still enjoyed and selling after 30 years!! I think they'd be pleased to know that they had joined the ranks of Aerosmith, The Rolling Stones, etc. Their music will live on long after they're gone. EVERY musician wants that and sadly, most of them don't get it. 

Edited by delilahrose
  • Like 1

1988 Axl has made the choice to hire a keyboard player, and every subsequent crazy decision. No one else but him made these choices.

"god knows we ain't gonna listen to no one".

It was all there from the start, somewhere in his complex mind.

1988 Axl seeing his 2017 career? guess for him, it would almost be a religious experience.

22 minutes ago, killuridols said:

1988 Gn'R watching a video of themselves in 2017 would probably be amazed to be see themselves alive, would wonder why Izzy and Steven are not there and would probably assume they both died :unsure:

It took them until the second page to notice, Izzy and Steven were missing in 2017 ?

Axl may be a bit taken back by his appearance...

They would probably assume Izzy and Steven Overdosed... Only excuse for them not being there..

They would all probably laugh at the Spice Girl

They would all be pretty damn proud that they are playing and for the most part packing Stadiums in 2017...

• Like 2

Axl's thoughts would be "why is Slash still in the band?...I imagined myself playing with a guy with a bucket on his head, an Izzy look a like, a bald guy with long hair, that drunk dude from the replacements, and where are my braids and football jerseys...this sucks" 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Epson said:

- Who is she?

- She is your second keyboardist

- WTF, SECOND?

Actually, this picture alone is a reason to dislike her. Haven't seen this one before. It's kinda like she's taunting the people, who already feel she's useless and out of place on that stage. She's in a rock band and dresses like she's a DJ at a techno party, auditioning for the Spice Girls or on her way to a kiddie birthday party. Why does she try to give people eye cancer with that garish get up she calls outfit? Seriously, I find her annoying as hell.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

Slash- 'Izzy's nose has grown'

Duff- 'I look hot y'know'

Axl- 'What the fucks happened to my hair?? cool hats though'

Ha, Smug Duff.

Who knew he would turn out to be the fit one, 

• Like 2

I think so. they've all aged well and can still rock their songs!

Every ages, it's life, but I'm happy that after 30 years, Slash, Axl and Duff are still alive to perform on stage together and still kill it!

I just wish Steven was healthy and Izzy would change his mind. Having the original 5 members together again would just be amazing and epic and make history again.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Actually, this picture alone is a reason to dislike her. Haven't seen this one before. It's kinda like she's taunting the people, who already feel she's useless and out of place on that stage. She's in a rock band and dresses like she's a DJ at a techno party, auditioning for the Spice Girls or on her way to a kiddie birthday party. Why does she try to give people eye cancer with that garish get up she calls outfit? Seriously, I find her annoying as hell.

I am glad someone else said this. 

She is in a rock band, and dresses like she's in Ibiza, it gives me the shits. 

• Like 2

On 4/2/2017 at 6:20 PM, GNRfanx6 said:

I really believe if you played 2017 axl to 1988 axl hed be like WTF is this shit

I really believe if you showed 1988 axl anything beyond maybe 2001 that's how he would react.

Edited by liers

22 hours ago, RONIN said:

To answer the question, AFD Axl, Duff and Slash from 87/88 would have yawned and fallen asleep at the 2017 shows. AFD Axl would also have jumped onstage and punched reggae Axl of '02 and Fat Axl from 2011 in the face for the joke/disgrace that they became.

I wonder who would win, AFD Axl vs. UYI Axl in a fight...

On 4/2/2017 at 8:03 PM, rocknroll41 said:

Id imagine if you go back to 1988 and show the band even just a 1992 show (along with the Don't Cry and November Rain music videos and the documentaries about how those videos were made) they'd be like "wtf is this shit?" 

exactly

everyone minus axl

• Like 1