Kong: Skull Island

Graeme

Has anyone seen this yet? I caught it on Thursday and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was like the bastard lovechild of Aliens and Jurassic Park. 

It looked gorgeous, some solid performances from Sam Jackson, Tom Hiddlestone and others, the action was brilliantly executed and it didn't shy away from being fucking brutal at times. I doubt it'll win any Oscars, but as a piece of entertainment, I can scarcely fault it! 

For me, the most exciting part was after the credits though...

This is what I said about it in the other movie thread:

"Kong: Skull Island - 4/5

Whether you saw and/or liked or disliked Godzilla (2014), most people can see Kong and enjoy the hell out of it. I like Godzilla, but it is plagued by unlikable (or unnecessary) characters for the most part, and severe lack of Godzilla screen-time. Kong fixes that by having characters that are actually mildly likeable, all the while giving you the near-perfect amount of Kong time without overdoing it. It's a two-hour, monster destruction-filled ride that once it takes off, doesn't let up. And of course, it sets the course up nicely for the future movies in Legendary's "Monster-Verse"."

*sigh* "Giant monsters that roamed the earth... I wish Del Toro got the budget he needed to make 'At The Mountains of Madness'. 

Really enjoyed Skull Island though. Solid entertainment. 

Edited by st0n3r

• 2 weeks later...

probably catch it on cable.

I do hope Kong wins out this time.

So sick of man messing with animals of any size on their home turf.

Thanks for the heads up about after the credits. I will remember whenever I see this movie.

I actually like to dvr movies now before I watch them and then fast forward them because at least 8 out of 10 movies now have something at the very end. Watching all those credits go by is like torture. Some can last about 10 minutes or more. lol

• 1 month later...

I have not see it yet, hoping to catch it by the end of its theatrical run at the 2 dollar theater.

I heard the movie was summed up as "stupid fun" and it has a great cast. John C. Riley, Tom Hiddleston, Sam Jackson. Best of all Gareth Edwards did not direct it. I wasn't sure about a Godzilla vs. Kong film, but from what I've heard,this film sort of got people excited for it. 

Glad you guys liked it. Now I want to see it.

I watched it last night.

Really it's a five out of 10. There were really bad scenes, clichéd dialogues, the vision wasn't quite there. I mean if the main influence was Apocalypse Now, they made a terrible movie. There were times when I felt like I was watching Tropic Thunder.

I wasn't too fond about the cast either, J.K. Simmons and Keaton made the right move to not do this movie. The director will be directing Metal Gear Solid next.

8 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

Basically it is a set up for Godzilla vs. Kong?

Looking at it yes. Even though Godzilla and Kong both did very well at the box office, I don't see both movies getting a standalone sequel. Not worth it. (Actually yes there is another Godzilla coming up in 2019 with another cast.)

Godzilla vs. Kong could turn out to be a great movie, but with a proper director.

1 hour ago, Silent Jay said:

Looking at it yes. Even though Godzilla and Kong both did very well at the box office, I don't see both movies getting a standalone sequel. Not worth it. (Actually yes there is another Godzilla coming up in 2019 with another cast.)

Godzilla vs. Kong could turn out to be a great movie, but with a proper director.

As long it is not Edwards. Both films have directors. Michael Dougherty for Godzilla, King of the Monsters and Adam Wingard for Godzilla vs. Kong. 

The next Godzilla actually has a good cast. Lots of well known TV stars. Such as Kyle Chandler. 

39 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

As long it is not Edwards. Both films have directors. Michael Dougherty for Godzilla, King of the Monsters and Adam Wingard for Godzilla vs. Kong. 

The next Godzilla actually has a good cast. Lots of well known TV stars. Such as Kyle Chandler. 

I see. I think that's the whole problem with those big CGI film franchises, they always have one young big shot (and sometimes inexperienced) director. Studio politics or you're out, style privileged over technical brilliance. Personally, those movies are constantly reduced to a simple format with no type of depth.

Kyle Chandler is a good cast, the dad character, like Sam Neill in Jurassic Park. I've heard Godzilla Resurgence was a big success, so hopefully america makes it as good.

Edited by Silent Jay

On 6/7/2017 at 1:37 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

TV actors means more monsters. Don't know about the directors but more monsters is always nice. 

• 1 month later...
On 16.7.2017 at 10:27 AM, Oldest Goat said:

This was a pretty fun blockbuster. Much better than Peter Jackson's reboot.

I like the Jackson version, but it's way too long. It takes forever to get to the Skull Island. This one was luckily much shorter. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers

8 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah it is too long and I thought it was bullshit when Kong went ice-skating lmfao.

The ice-skating part was very cheesy "Disney" moment for me. Someone said, that you could take Naomi Watts from Kong's hand and replace her with a coke bottle - it would make a nice Coca-Cola commercial.:lol: