The True Story Behind So Fine

Always liked the dynamic in this song. I figured Slash didn't play on ''You can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory'' because it was a left over from Duff's solo album, therefore Duff playing all the instruments.

The true story is them tryna do a Johnny Thunders knock off, Johnny wrote songs like that, I Only Wrote This Song For You, Diary of a Lover etc etc  Though to their credit its more of a celebration of a style than a total knock off.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EvanG said:

Always liked the dynamic in this song. I figured Slash didn't play on ''You can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory'' because it was a left over from Duff's solo album, therefore Duff playing all the instruments.

always reminded me of knockin' on heavens door. WIsh these guys would do more illusions material on tour. 

this is a song that proves that there is no real point in ranking gnr songs 

although some may thinki it's corny and i think axl's subtle involvement is what makes it great along with slash's solo and duff is fine in it too 

along with estranged its the best song in tokyo video for rarities shown in HD 

there is no way duff should be doing those covers over this original beast in concert

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

although some may thinki it's corny and i think axl's subtle involvement is what makes it great along with slash's solo and duff is fine in it too 

there is no way duff should be doing those covers over this original beast in concert

Thanks for posting that clip! I for one would just love it if they added it to the set list or like you said just replacing Duff's cover. It's a good song.

9 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

As long as they don't bring those background singers back... jeez, they really ruin the song. I realize Duff could barely sing back then because of his coke habit (he's not a great singer anyway), but those chicks really didn't add anything.

4 hours ago, EvanG said:

As long as they don't bring those background singers back... jeez, they really ruin the song. I realize Duff could barely sing back then because of his coke habit (he's not a great singer anyway), but those chicks really didn't add anything.

i disagree i would say most particularly on this song they sound good and add a lot 

as well as on yesterdays in fact on this song and so fine i'd welcome tracy and roberta back fast

others not so much yeah..

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

2 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i disagree i would say most particularly on this song they sound good and add a lot 

as well as on yesterdays in fact on this song and so fine i'd welcome tracy and roberta back fast

others not so much yeah..

They sound good in the sense that they are good singers, they are obviously professionals and they sing way better than Duff in that particular performance I'm sure, but I'm just not a fan of background singers for a rock band, adding the ''ooohhh ooohhh ahhhh''. That's for Las Vegas shit or a lounge act at best, not a rock band.

I always forget about this song and then when I hear it I remember how much I like it. Would love to see this on the current tour, I probably prefer it to Can't put your arms around a memory. 

I didn't know they had worked with Johnny Thunders, did  that come about through Izzy and Angela? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EvanG said:

They sound good in the sense that they are good singers, they are obviously professionals and they sing way better than Duff in that particular performance I'm sure, but I'm just not a fan of background singers for a rock band, adding the ''ooohhh ooohhh ahhhh''. That's for Las Vegas shit or a lounge act at best, not a rock band.

i understand that but I think for this 92 version of GNR or even now on particular songs like the ones i mentioned i think they enhance the song significantly 

they don't need to be around for every song but for 2-3 i liked tracy and roberta 

and the ooohhh oohhhh ahhhh is what i fucking love in that song the most almost, it makes it a lot more groovier in my opinion not less 

13 hours ago, double talkin jive mfkr said:

i understand that but I think for this 92 version of GNR or even now on particular songs like the ones i mentioned i think they enhance the song significantly 

they don't need to be around for every song but for 2-3 i liked tracy and roberta 

and the ooohhh oohhhh ahhhh is what i fucking love in that song the most almost, it makes it a lot more groovier in my opinion not less 

Ok, well... everyone has a different taste, I guess, that's cool. In my opinion it works for some acts, I can imagine Tom Jones having pretty background singers like that helping him out, but I don't need to see them supporting a band like GnR, but like I said... each to his own.

• 2 weeks later...
On April 9, 2017 at 6:31 PM, tkarmy said:

I dig the live version with Axl doing the "when the lights when down in your house..." etc

but the studio version doesn't do much for me. But Axl really added some energy to it live. 

I agree I dig the live version a lot more. Love Tokyo 92 

tracy and roberta have great voices and add some different levels during live gigs but i will admit when they toured without them on the later American illusion shows with the stripped back band just axl slash duff gilby dizzy and matt it really took them back to appetite days and how raw and dangerous they can really be and we all know my the end of 92-93 when the band finally split up some members where wasted 24/7 and still playing great gigs i just hope that somewhere all the illusion tour was recorded and it comes out on a huge CD/DVD/BLURAY/VINYL set because i would sell my wife to buy the fucker lol