If Axl's vocal issues were a medical condition..

It is apparent that Axl's voice is not very strong this tour, and many of you guys have expressed frustration with how he sounds currently.

Having seen many of the photos/vids of this tour and even attending a live show, I can attest to feeling the same way too, both with Axls voice, and frankly, his fragile looking appearance.   

The question is this; if the reason for Axl's poor vocals and performances were a direct result of a vocal or physical handicap, would you guys feel less critical of this tour? 

Edited by TheFormerSoul

26 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Chronic laziness doesn't count as a medical condition.

He sounded amazing with AC/DC (and most of the NA 2016 shows) because he rehearsed and gave a fuck. Since the NA shows he's performed like he's on autopilot instead of like he's earning $1 million a night. :shrugs:

maybe work overload? he has been going like the energizer bunny for quite a while now :) 

• Like 1

I would feel more sympathetic if it was a medical issue but since he "doesn't owe us an explanation" then we currently have no reason to believe so. He sounds pretty good though, barring YCBM/SCOM/LALD/Paradise. I think he just lost his mid voice entirely, but still has that amazing high voice and gravely low one.

• Like 2

Why would anyone say that his voice is bad? I attended 2 shows this year with people who are definetely no hardcore GnR fans who loved it and were genuinely impressed by Axl`s performance. If it is good enough for them, why should the real fans complain?? makes no sense

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Manfisman said:

Is not 1992 anymore.

Yeah but 2010 was not so long ago. And then there's Axl/DC.

Bring on your best excuses. This 1992 one is a classic.

Axl sounds like shit with GNR and great with ACDC.

Axl, not many years ago (2010) was singing like a beast and since 2011 has sounded like shit.

1 hour ago, God of Thunder said:

Why would anyone say that his voice is bad? I attended 2 shows this year with people who are definetely no hardcore GnR fans who loved it and were genuinely impressed by Axl`s performance. If it is good enough for them, why should the real fans complain?? makes no sense

Because it is bad, especially compared to his performance with ACDC.

Being considered good by casual listeners means nothing.

If I attended a Bon Jovi concert I'd probably go home satisfied but it doesn't erase the fact that Jon sounds like shit nowadays.

• Like 1

You can tell that youre a troll, when you say axl sounds like shit with performances like this one

If you'd say, he doesnt sound as good on some songs, i respect your opinion, but what you do is just bash for the sake of bashing and thats why you cant be taken seriously. And never will be.

Edited by xBrownstonex
  • Like 4

@xBrownstonex He sounds good in about 2 or 3 songs on the set, I can give you that. He sounds absolutely shit on the remaining songs.

I don't bash for the sake of it. I give my honest opinion. Axl sounds like shit and even worse compared to AC/DC. Sorry if this opinion hurts you.

Thank God I'm not taken seriously. Nobody here should be. Nothing here should be. If you take this place seriously, I'm afraid your real life may be a little sad.

This is a place for fun, to discuss the same shit a hundred times. To share a laugh. To share cool vids and pics.

"And never will be" :lol:

Kids...

12 hours ago, TheFormerSoul said:

It is apparent that Axl's voice is not very strong this tour, and many of you guys have expressed frustration with how he sounds currently.

Having seen many of the photos/vids of this tour and even attending a live show, I can attest to feeling the same way too, both with Axls voice, and frankly, his fragile looking appearance.   

The question is this; if the reason for Axl's poor vocals and performances were a direct result of a vocal or physical handicap, would you guys feel less critical of this tour? 

on "this tour"?

where have you been on the last 20 years?

last time axl sounded like axl onstage he had bruce springteen on his side and they were singing a john lennon song

• Like 1

The guy does not have vocal issues. How he sang with ACDC last year proves it, what more evidence do people need? He even had the midrange rasp there on songs like Rock N Roll Thunder. He CHOOSES to sing how he does with Guns, why is up for debate. I just wish it would stop before they do a live release

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

on "this tour"?

where have you been on the last 20 years?

last time axl sounded like axl onstage he had bruce springteen on his side and they were singing a john lennon song

Im guessing you dont think Axl sounded good in 2006/2007?

• Like 1

If Axls vocal changes and decline in consistency is related to a health issue, then my goodness my heart goes out to the poor guy!  What a horror it is for anyone to see their health decline, to even teeter on experiencing disability.  Its especially hard for any of us when it is our craft that is impacted by declining health.  That thing in us that shines and creates beauty for this world.  Its heart breaking.  A tragedy best left to poetry.

And i would be so grateful that even if he's been suffering poor health, surgery and use-damage that he has continued to share his gift.  Knowing his body may not deliver but risking it for us.  Knowing each good performance could be his swan song.  

What if he had surgery on throat due to use damage, then changed to clean voice for CD as a result, then felt it was rejected so went back to the voice that damaged him?  How would I feel?  Overwhelmed, cathartic, shamed, mesmerized.  Grateful.

I think Axl sounds great regularly with GNR.  There are songs that he's aged out of and thats to be expected with his style.  And like many artists, he has good nights and he has amazing nights.  And yeah, some duds.  But on NITL he's done really great all things considered. I got to see the NA run and I do think it was generally more consistent then other legs, so Im happy about that.

He remains the best singer, frontman and visionary in rock n roll history in this fans books.  Its not mere legacy.  He is still there. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The guy does not have vocal issues. How he sang with ACDC last year proves it, what more evidence do people need? He even had the midrange rasp there on songs like Rock N Roll Thunder. He CHOOSES to sing how he does with Guns, why is up for debate. I just wish it would stop before they do a live release

Yeah, the ACDC gig raises many theories. And the most likely one is that Axl chooses to sing clean with GNR :(

It's sad that ACDC gets real Axl and GNR gets a bad parody of himself.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maynard said:

Being considered good by casual listeners means nothing.

I would say its the other way around - being considered bad by a small fraction of a small fraction of GNR die hards on an online forum mean nothing - in the grand scheme of things, right?

All in all those casual listeners/GNR fans that aren't on the forums make up the vast majority of ticket sales.  That is a hell of a lot more than "nothing" 

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, maynard said:

Yeah, the ACDC gig raises many theories. And the most likely one is that Axl chooses to sing clean with GNR :(

It's sad that ACDC gets real Axl and GNR gets a bad parody of himself.

Maybe he just doesnt think putting in the effort is worth it, the tour is selling really well and good reviews like this, #1 so why try harder? Really sucks because I think a couple songs are destroyed with that clean voice, some of them their biggest hits like YCBM and PC