If Axl's vocal issues were a medical condition..

51 minutes ago, Draguns said:

It annoys me with society's perception that having a disability is such a bad thing. It's not. 

I understand what you mean and I agree with you. I think it has to do with old habits of society. Some things are slowly changing but there are people who still feel sorry for the disabled or treat them like inferior human beings. Not all the time this is done with malice, it's just plain ignorance because they imagine they could never deal with a disability themselves. Most people ignore the power of human body, of our minds and how we are prepare to overcome things we never thought we could.

Anyway, the comment was cringeworthy in terms of exaggerating Axl's voice problems and make it look like the guy is with one foot in the coffin :lol:

Also talked about the horrors of declining health, like we all were not going to experience it at some point in our lives. Aging doesn't have to be a horror if you get ready for it and accept that this is part of life too.

Gotta blame this shallow society for putting ideas of eternal youth in our minds. We should learn more from the Chinese. They actually give value to the elders.

• Like 1

Axl's voice is probably off for a number of reasons 

He's in his 50s number 1 and he's still running around like it's 30 years ago. And let's be honest, he doesn't appear to be in peak physical shape (though looks can be deceiving). I have to imagine that would do a number on your wind. 

They've been touring over a year now. Huge football stadiums. That's gotta be exhausting. Throw in an AC/DC tour as well and I'm surprised he sounds as good as he does. 

And comparing vocals from GNR tour to AC/DC may not be a fair comparison. I'm no musician but it seems plausible at least that AC/DC songs may be easier than GNR songs

ill bet that after this short break and if they don't record vocals for a new album during it (lol) Axl will sound a lot better in May. 

7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Before the reunion started I didn't have much faith that Axl was going to pull this off.  He needed to be good carting this line up out on stage or it wasn't going to work. I had some serious doubts..

There haven't been many fans more critical than me on Axl the last 15 years or so but I gotta give credit where credit is due.. There are some songs that he struggles on. Especially some of the hits like Sweet Child, YCBM and Paradise City but he seems like he is giving 100% to me and that is all that counts. I think he does a good do great job on the majority of the songs.  Some better than others but he fucking rips on songs like Jungle, Nightrain, Jungle and Out Ta' Get Me.. Is great on songs like Brownstone, ISO and Don't Cry.. Has gotten much better on songs like Estranged and and Civil War since the April shows... I hate Mickey and I am not hearing it a ton at all. When I do it is toned down.. The guy is in his 50's.. His voice has naturally changed in some ways.. For the people saying he is better or tries harder with AC/DC...He sounds great on the Brian Johnson songs but there were weaker moments during some of the Bon Stuff. I don't account any of it to lack of effort, he just naturally has a harder time with some vocal ranges.  He doesn't sound like he did in the 90's but I think he is doing a damn fine job and giving it all he's got. He sounds a lot better than the majority of his peers at this point too..  he could lose the boots, hats and gut, but I think he is kicking ass for the most part.. maybe drop a CD song or two as well ;)

Axl, if you are out there. Keep on keepin on.. You are kicking ass!

awwww so nice, and spot on! we love us some Axl! :headbang:

• Like 2

I think the simple truth is he blew his voice out during the ACDC runs. He was REAL fresh sounding in his tone during the first 7 shows of GrN tour, then did lose it during the uber rasp of ACDC. His voice then steadily deepened in its tone during the N.America leg (still was very good overall BUT listen to the TONE, not the RASP, already deeper by say Houston which was a great gig). then another leg of ACDC which I think totally knackered his voice out. He still wasunreal in the ACDC tour of N.America, but like 2010 the damage is more noticeable after the tour.)

Since that time he has sounded very nasally and has had a similar TONE to the 13-14 period. I think like 2010, he blew it out during the ACDC tour. (and LIKE 2010, the damage comes AFTER the tour when the voice rests and heals up but not given enough time to really heal (as per the break between 14 and 16 which did a world of good for his voice.)

Freddie Mercury had something similar, he toured a ton during the 78-79 period and sounded real rough by April/May 79. A good break and it was like new again. I think Axl had something smilar from 13-16.

Edited by koldweather

22 minutes ago, Modano09 said:

Like we've all said before, his voice was strong and he looked great in 2006.

His age may have caught up to him quickly or he just stopped caring but he just hasn't looked/sounded the same since.

AC/DC though. Seriously do you people have memory issues? It's like you're completely disregarding his capabalities. And what about his improvement from 2002-2006? Surely your 'ageing' logic is flawed as he should've further deteriorated in that time? 

If he was truly past it there's absolutely no way he'd be capable of belting out For Those About to Rock after over 2 hours of screaming. This view is none sense.

Hey Everyone,

Russ already asked this debate to be taken down a notch but i've had remove the last few posts. Clearly this subject stirs up some strong feelings on both sides so please be aware of how you come across when posting, I know this is a GNR forum but it's not an isolated bubble from reality, we don't know what anyone posting here is dealing with in real life.

Please get back on topic or we will be locking this thread.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Hey Everyone,

Russ already asked this debate to be taken down a notch but i've had remove the last few posts. Clearly this subject stirs up some strong feelings on both sides so please be aware of how you come across when posting, I know this is a GNR forum but it's not an isolated bubble from reality, we don't know what anyone posting here is dealing with in real life.

Please get back on topic or we will be locking this thread.

I agree.  And I want to highlight that I taped out of the debate yesterday evening.  However, with respect, I would say erasing some comments but not killuridols most recent is an over site.  I have made clear that I am disabled.  He ignores that and suggests Im ignorant to disability (as does draguns through out).  And the idea that any disabled person can follow their dreams if they dig deep is as hurtful as anything thats been removed from this thread.  Thank you for your consideration. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, soon said:

I agree.  And I want to highlight that I taped out of the debate yesterday evening.  However, with respect, I would say erasing some comments but not killuridols most recent is an over site.  I have made clear that I am disabled.  He ignores that and suggests Im ignorant to disability (as does draguns through out).  And the idea that any disabled person can follow their dreams if they dig deep is as hurtful as anything thats been removed from this thread.  Thank you for your consideration. 

I removed the comments that were clearly off topic and more personal, I didn't feel that kiiluridols last post was quite either of those. I try for the most part not to moderate opinions if they are presented in a civil way and not based on whether I agree with the post or not.

I realise it can be easy for discussions to segue from one subject to another but D&N isn't the best place to discuss the perceptions of disability at length. If anyone wants to discuss it more freely a topic in AG would be more appropriate.

9 hours ago, koldweather said:

I think the simple truth is he blew his voice out during the ACDC runs. He was REAL fresh sounding in his tone during the first 7 shows of GrN tour, then did lose it during the uber rasp of ACDC. His voice then steadily deepened in its tone during the N.America leg (still was very good overall BUT listen to the TONE, not the RASP, already deeper by say Houston which was a great gig). then another leg of ACDC which I think totally knackered his voice out. He still wasunreal in the ACDC tour of N.America, but like 2010 the damage is more noticeable after the tour.)

Since that time he has sounded very nasally and has had a similar TONE to the 13-14 period. I think like 2010, he blew it out during the ACDC tour. (and LIKE 2010, the damage comes AFTER the tour when the voice rests and heals up but not given enough time to really heal (as per the break between 14 and 16 which did a world of good for his voice.)

Freddie Mercury had something similar, he toured a ton during the 78-79 period and sounded real rough by April/May 79. A good break and it was like new again. I think Axl had something smilar from 13-16.

Well if that's true then why didn't his voice deteriorate during the AC/DC tour? It's too much of a coincidence that the difference was only noticeable once the GN'R tour started. The last AC/DC show was Philly and that was one of the best performances from him of all time. Surely if your deterioration over time theory has any truth to it, it would've been noticeable by that point? Not magically from the next show which just happened to be with GN'R.

Edited by AlexC

On 4/5/2017 at 10:12 PM, Mendez said:

You ever tried diving into bumble-whatevers and bucket-shits solo material? You might like at least one song.

dj-crap's band Sixx:am isn't anything special to me, but I will say that I haven't heard all of their material to form an educated opinion. Although I'm not going to shit all over it just because I don't like it

i have listened to bucket and i actually liked a few songs, there was one i really liked

that bumble dude is a joke. i have listened to him on axl solo band and it is really awful. His solo stuff is really annoying, i tried a few ones and i couldnt listen because it is just a turd. that band he created with scott weiland and now with the creed dude is the most annoying generic crap rock since... huh... creed

and i wont waste my time listening to that dj dude, gimme a break, i have seen enough of him in axl solo band

all this is just my opinion and completely irrelevant

i just mentioned these people for you to understand how hard it was to try and listen to axl solo band 2001-2015. i dont even waste my time trying to listen to that nonsense anymore

now 2016-2017 it is better but is is still hard and annnoying, because those four aliens keep playing speedy shitty versions of the best songs ever and thus make it impossible to enjoy the Guns n Aliens tour

On ‎6‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 2:02 AM, ludurigan said:

you are correct

===

i grew up listening to GNR 1985-1991

then i spent the next decade listening to GNR 1985-1991

to this day i get my dose of GNR listening to GNR 1985-1991

i dont listen to GNR 1992 and 1993 mostly because izzy wasnt there, tracy and roberta and their 9 fucking friends were there, and specially because axl was just on autopilot and sounded really lifeless on those years, specially 1992.

in 1993 he sort of got back to some "good spirits" (and the circus was nowhere to be seen) but it didnt last, did it?

anything after 2001 is REALLY bad specially the horrendous clean voice that axl decided to use. that sounds like utter crap

its unlistenable to me

i know a lot of people of my age that feels the same

to add insult to the injury, axl chose these "extremely talented and hard working people" (:rofl-lol:) to play on his solo band and these people really sound like a lifeless cover band

they play the songs note for note, they add some (very untasteful) notes and it stilll sounds lifeless

its pretty much unbearable to listen to your favorite songs being played by people like bumble-whatever and bucket-shit and dj-crap and i dont even like remembering the name of these people

these people made axl solo band sound completely unlistenable

there is no fun listening to that crap

since the guns and aliens tour started it is obvious that axl improved ((not only vocal wise but apparently he is in good spirits) and he seems to have kinda stopped using the clean (mickey-bee-gees-whatever) voice

but even then so he still sounds bad

with the odd exception of some songs with ac/dc (back in black, thunderstruck, shoot to thrill and maybe a couple more)

and of course songs like easy and brownstone where axl uses his low voice

I feel like I'm having an out-of-body experience when I read your post, as if I'm listening to myself talking ... 

This is a strong contender for post of the year !

The only thing I don't agree on is early '92, up until the European tour, which I enjoy very much.  It all went downhill from there ...

9 hours ago, ludurigan said:

now 2016-2017 it is better but is is still hard and annnoying, because those four aliens keep playing speedy shitty versions of the best songs ever and thus make it impossible to enjoy the Guns n Aliens tour

Right, because it is the "four aliens" who set the tempo. Not, lets say, duff and slash. You just live in your own phantasyworld, do you?

15 hours ago, AlexC said:

Well if that's true then why didn't his voice deteriorate during the AC/DC tour? It's too much of a coincidence that the difference was only noticeable once the GN'R tour started. The last AC/DC show was Philly and that was one of the best performances from him of all time. Surely if your deterioration over time theory has any truth to it, it would've been noticeable by that point? Not magically from the next show which just happened to be with GN'R.

I think he had it 'lubed' up so to speak for that period, and you CAN hear his tone change during the year of 2016 and it reverts back to nasally airy high notes by S.America tour.

I think the exact same thing has happened in 2016 as 2010-2011, whilst he had it in a good place he could keep it going, the moment he had any sort of longer rest after those ACDC gigs it could have caused some scarring or something along those lines where the damage was healed.

Truth is no-one knows, but its not just the rasp that is currently different from mid 2016 to say the last leg in Asia, its the TONE, and that is not something he is choosing to do...ignore the rasp and look for the depth and airy nature of the voice, thats your REAL guide for Axl's vocal health. 

9 hours ago, koldweather said:

I think he had it 'lubed' up so to speak for that period, and you CAN hear his tone change during the year of 2016 and it reverts back to nasally airy high notes by S.America tour.

I think the exact same thing has happened in 2016 as 2010-2011, whilst he had it in a good place he could keep it going, the moment he had any sort of longer rest after those ACDC gigs it could have caused some scarring or something along those lines where the damage was healed.

Truth is no-one knows, but its not just the rasp that is currently different from mid 2016 to say the last leg in Asia, its the TONE, and that is not something he is choosing to do...ignore the rasp and look for the depth and airy nature of the voice, thats your REAL guide for Axl's vocal health. 

I'm sorry but you're chatting shit. He had 5 days between the AC/DC and GN'R legs, that's basically the exact same time off he has between shows anyway give or take a day or two. It has nothing to do with scarring or whatever, if that were true his voice would've been fucked way before the end of any given AC/DC leg. Or does the "scarring" magically appear when he sings You Could Be Mine, then disappear for Shoot to Thrill?

Ridiculous.

Also, it's pretty much common knowledge by now that when it comes to Guns N' Roses, Axl improved throughout the tour. So in the first show of '17 in Osaka, he sounded rusty as fuck. But by Tokyo night 2 he was doing great then by Auckland he was fantastic. That sort of performance pattern can't exactly be attributed to wear and tear can it. Quite the opposite.

Edited by AlexC

15 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

Right, because it is the "four aliens" who set the tempo. Not, lets say, duff and slash. You just live in your own phantasyworld, do you?

if only the shitty tempo was the only shitty sounding thing of guns n aliens!