15 Years Ago: Alice In Chains Frontman Layne Staley Dies (TRIBUTE)

Atrás del Mostrador

Man, what a fucking shame and what a sad and slow demise. I think AIC's best stuff was still to come, can you imagine Layne singing/involvement on the Black Gives Way To Blue album?...fuck that would give Dirt a run for it's money imo. AIC kinda passed me by abit at the time i kinda avoided the whole "grunge" deal but thankfully gave them a proper listen in the late 90's and they are one of my favourite bands now, RIP Layne you were shamefully copied but never equalled....people post ya favourite Staley shit!

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 2

That Damn that River is a great one. Loved his voice, how it sounded, but also how you could feel it. Damn shame, tragic life/ending. RIP.

I love their Unplugged. I think Nirvana's is kinda the standard and overshadows it a bit, but I put AIC's right behind it.

• Like 2

Pretty insane back story to this album, thrown together in a week ( written AND recorded) because they had to move into the studio after being evicted for not paying their rent while on tour. Jar of Flies is an amazing bunch of songs another band would be trying their whole career to create, let alone come up with in the space of a week.

• Like 1

Layne was one of the greats imo. His voice was absolutely unmatched for the style of music he did, and his overall genuine attitude inspired me to give less of a shit about meaningless things in life. Damn shame what happened to him, but he'll always be one of the greats (for me, at least).

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

One of the all time great singers .His work with AIC is outstanding .Cant believe it's been 15 years .I know he's irreplaceable but they're new stuff actually kicks ass and William DuVall is an incredible singer in his own right .Most people feel AIC died with Layne but for those who haven't listened to their new stuff with DuVall I can't recommend it enough .

• Like 1

I was gutted when he passed. AIC does not get enough play in my stereo anymore, which I'll remedy tonight.  Music bank is the perfect box set in my opinion. 

Favorites of mine are Brother, Nutshell, Bleed the Freak, and Would?

Right Turn is awesome to have Jerry, Chris Cornell, and Mark Arm each sing a verse.

I'd recommend the B side Social Parasite to everyone.  Love the song and has a gnr vibe to it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, merslain said:

I was gutted when he passed. AIC does not get enough play in my stereo anymore, which I'll remedy tonight.  Music bank is the perfect box set in my opinion. 

Favorites of mine are Brother, Nutshell, Bleed the Freak, and Would?

Right Turn is awesome to have Jerry, Chris Cornell, and Mark Arm each sing a verse.

I'd recommend the B side Social Parasite to everyone.  Love the song and has a gnr vibe to it.

thanks! i will definitely check it out. loved Layne, bless his heart...