Third anniversary of Duffs south America tour with GN'R

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

I personally enjoy seeing the NuGnR fans get so triggered when people refer to it as Axls solo band.  

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing with it. It's just the fact that it's annoying as fuck and more common than the clap.

5 hours ago, AlexC said:

Seriously. Any mention of NuGuns, ANY at all, and "Axl's solo band..." comments start appearing. That view is so tired and unoriginal. Give it a fucking rest.

This. 

If you want to talk about Duff rejoining GNR for their 2010 tour, do it in this thread. 

If you want to go down the same tires (derailing) "Axl's Solo Band road, do it in the proper section: Civil War. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

This. 

If you want to talk about Duff rejoining GNR for their 2010 tour, do it in this thread. 

If you want to go down the same tires (derailing) "Axl's Solo Band road, do it in the proper section: Civil War. 

Actually, this thread is to talk about Duff rejoining for the 2014 tour :P

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

ohhh the towel guy! I did think it a little odd.

I like his contributions to songs like Nightrain, You Could Be Mine and Rocket Queen. I've learned to play the keyboard because of him.

Edited by Sosso

12 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I wasn't gonna go to that show 'cause I had already seen Axl in 2010 and 2011 and felt I was disrespecting myself by going for a 3rd time to see the Chinese Democracy tour and supporting Axl's terrible use of the GNR name. Six days before the show it was announced that Duff was gonna be coming instead of Tommy and the next day I was buying my ticket to see him and Axl together.

It was a great show (Axl's band was always great IMO and I'm one of the few who doesn't hate DJ so even he wasn't a problem for me) and I never saw a bass so loud in the mix as that night. You could literally hear every single note Duff was playing and that was awesome, he owned every song, some that he hadn't played for decades and some that weren't even his. It was unreal!

Shackler's Revenge was definitely the worst part of the show, biggest moodkiller I've seen. People was overexcited, completely crazy and then that song started and the whole crowd shut down.

Richard did a really badass solo in his solo spot. As much as I don't see him as a great fit for the 2016/17 band, I think he was the MVP of THAT band.

As a side note, Axl got to the stadium pretty late as usual and so Ron came out to entertain the crowd and threw some picks while we were waiting. That was very nice of him.

The most disappointing thing was they played So Fine on the soundcheck but not on the show :max:

I'm not sure how much Duff had to do with Slash's return to be honest. He was VERY close to Izzy and he's not back in the band so it looks like good business had a bigger role in the reunion than Duff. I'm very happy to have him back nonetheless, the more original members there are in the band, the better!

Duff coming back was the start. This would have made Axl think with enough time that had gone by and with the public spats about slash (hes a cancer), made him think it was time to maybe bury the hatchet with slash. Hence the questions axl started to ask Duff about why slash said certain things duiring the time with the band and in slashs book, and duff explained to axl through slashs eyes why certain things happened and were said. This then from the interview axl and duff diid about axl calling slash and inviting him around to dinner . This could all be wishful thinking or Axl coming to a point that he can only tour CD so much and was probably becoming bored around the 2013 timeframe with the whole CD touring. You can only ignore the truth for so long which was if guns had to move forward it was time to swallow some pride and reconnect with the other members of GNR that made the band as good as they were and he would have known there would be plenty of dollars to be made....if he was willing to compromise with how to progress with a reunion and raising to duff and slash what he could accept (main band players plus those in current GNR axl would consider loyal) and what he couldn't accept ( stevens possible unpredictability -  im sure those bad feelings still run deep for whatever reason).

12 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I'm not sure how much Duff had to do with Slash's return to be honest. He was VERY close to Izzy and he's not back in the band so it looks like good business had a bigger role in the reunion than Duff. I'm very happy to have him back nonetheless, the more original members there are in the band, the better!

Duff said it was his goal to get Slash and Axl into one room and talking again. His wife said similar things about him working hard to make this happen. Marc Canter also said it was Duff who was mediating between Axl and Slash and tried to make them see thing's from each other's perspective. So yes, Duff played a huge role (probably even the most important role) in all of this. 

At the same time, I think you are also over-estimating how close Duff and Izzy are/were. Duff has talked shit about Izzy in the past and they always just seemed like buddies who like to hang out sometimes and make music to me. 

And Duff's bond with Izzy is nothing compared to the one he has with Slash. Duff was always going to choose Slash (and therefore Axl) over Izzy if push came to shove. So I'm not surprised about how this whole thing turned out at all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Duff coming back was the first evidence there would be a reunion.  He was the link between Axl and Slash in my opinion and showed that Axl was accepting of the old band again. I say this in a non joking manner:

Without Duff, there would be no more Guns n' Roses.

reunion?

when did that happen?

fuck! cant believe that i missed it!

:rofl-lol:

15 hours ago, Sosso said:

I thought that this topic deserves his own thread. Duff McKagan was announced as a temporary replacement for Tommy Stinson during the tour in south america because he had to play some reunion shows with his band The Replacements. The first of those gigs took place in Buenos Aires.

I have to say that even I was glad to see Duff back in the fold and I'm probably one of the biggest fans from Tommy.

axl-rose.jpg?w=600

guns-n-roses-duff.jpg?quality=80&w=640

Those were exciting times.

by the way, april 31 is the 17th anniversary of the day axl and buckethead had their first disagreement on studio

not many people know about this

but that was the very first baby step for the GNR reunion

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Frey said:

Duff said it was his goal to get Slash and Axl into one room and talking again. His wife said similar things about him working hard to make this happen. Marc Canter also said it was Duff who was mediating between Axl and Slash and tried to make them see thing's from each other's perspective. So yes, Duff played a huge role (probably even the most important role) in all of this. 

At the same time, I think you are also over-estimating how close Duff and Izzy are/were. Duff has talked shit about Izzy in the past and they always just seemed like buddies who like to hang out sometimes and make music to me. 

And Duff's bond with Izzy is nothing compared to the one he has with Slash. Duff was always going to choose Slash (and therefore Axl) over Izzy if push came to shove. So I'm not surprised about how this whole thing turned out at all.

Well, Marc had that same goal forever and was never able to make it happen, even though Axl would constantly bring Slash in their conversations. And I believe Marc assumed Duff probably madiated between them. It wouldn't surprise me if things did go that way, it's probably the way it would go down with normal people but it wouldn't surprise me either if it wasn't like that.

I don't think I'm over-estimating Duff and Izzy's relationship. Whatever negative comment Duff might have made about Izzy doesn't compare to the good things he said. He basically claimed Izzy was the key member of GNR, the one who's vision lead the band to be what it was. After Duff got clean, he was hanging out with Izzy a lot, playing on his records, he even went to Japan with Izzy. Then, when Duff had to write some songs for his last book, he called Izzy to work with him and said "I'd like to do more music with him — always; for the rest of my life." And that comment is from june, 2015 when the GNR reunion was most likely in the works already.

I don't know how close Slash and Duff were until VR happened (which Izzy could have been part of too btw) but in the last 15 years Slash and Duff do seem to have become a lot closer than they used to be to the point they're literally like family nowadays. It wouldn't surprise me if Duff chooses Slash over Izzy but it's not like it was one or the other, what surpirses me is he was fine leaving Izzy out of the reunion.

46 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Duff coming back was the start. This would have made Axl think with enough time that had gone by and with the public spats about slash (hes a cancer), made him think it was time to maybe bury the hatchet with slash. Hence the questions axl started to ask Duff about why slash said certain things duiring the time with the band and in slashs book, and duff explained to axl through slashs eyes why certain things happened and were said. This then from the interview axl and duff diid about axl calling slash and inviting him around to dinner . This could all be wishful thinking or Axl coming to a point that he can only tour CD so much and was probably becoming bored around the 2013 timeframe with the whole CD touring. You can only ignore the truth for so long which was if guns had to move forward it was time to swallow some pride and reconnect with the other members of GNR that made the band as good as they were and he would have known there would be plenty of dollars to be made....if he was willing to compromise with how to progress with a reunion and raising to duff and slash what he could accept (main band players plus those in current GNR axl would consider loyal) and what he couldn't accept ( stevens possible unpredictability -  im sure those bad feelings still run deep for whatever reason).

I don't rule anything out. It could be a case of Axl finally seeing things from a different perspective or wanting to make a shitload of easy money or thinking his band would have no credibility whatsoever if he replaced Bumblefoot and DJ with anyone else other than Slash after all the lineup changes and lack of new music.

Whatever was the reason, I'm glad it happened. Axl's weird explanation in that interview he did with Duff certainly doesn't help to understand how things went on but one way or another three of the five GNR guys are back together and that's a lot.

11 hours ago, ludurigan said:

reunion?

when did that happen?

fuck! cant believe that i missed it!

your posts are always fresh and exciting and never get boring cause theyre always the same old shit...

Oh no, wait..

Edited by xBrownstonex
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, Marc had that same goal forever and was never able to make it happen, even though Axl would constantly bring Slash in their conversations. And I believe Marc assumed Duff probably madiated between them. It wouldn't surprise me if things did go that way, it's probably the way it would go down with normal people but it wouldn't surprise me either if it wasn't like that.

I don't think I'm over-estimating Duff and Izzy's relationship. Whatever negative comment Duff might have made about Izzy doesn't compare to the good things he said. He basically claimed Izzy was the key member of GNR, the one who's vision lead the band to be what it was. After Duff got clean, he was hanging out with Izzy a lot, playing on his records, he even went to Japan with Izzy. Then, when Duff had to write some songs for his last book, he called Izzy to work with him and said "I'd like to do more music with him — always; for the rest of my life." And that comment is from june, 2015 when the GNR reunion was most likely in the works already.

I don't know how close Slash and Duff were until VR happened (which Izzy could have been part of too btw) but in the last 15 years Slash and Duff do seem to have become a lot closer than they used to be to the point they're literally like family nowadays. It wouldn't surprise me if Duff chooses Slash over Izzy but it's not like it was one or the other, what surpirses me is he was fine leaving Izzy out of the reunion.

I don't rule anything out. It could be a case of Axl finally seeing things from a different perspective or wanting to make a shitload of easy money or thinking his band would have no credibility whatsoever if he replaced Bumblefoot and DJ with anyone else other than Slash after all the lineup changes and lack of new music.

Whatever was the reason, I'm glad it happened. Axl's weird explanation in that interview he did with Duff certainly doesn't help to understand how things went on but one way or another three of the five GNR guys are back together and that's a lot.

I don't think Marc ever actually was around Axl all that much during the mystery years. He was one of the few people who was on speaking terms with both Axl and Slash, but Axl probably wasn't ready to reconcile with Slash back then. And then they had their falling out over Marc's book, so he was out of the picture anyway. Meanwhile, Duff appeared back in Axl's life and Axl, for whatever reasons, was more willing to listen by then.

Appreciating Izzy's value and role in the band =/= close personal relationship. Like you said, Slash and Duff are basically family these days (Duff's kids even refer to Slash as "Uncle Slash"). Not sure about what exactly was going on with them in the 90s, but for the last 15 years they've been pretty inseparable. And they also used to be like that back in the day. When Axl and Izzy isolated themselves from the rest of the band, these two stuck together.

Izzy can't really compete with all of that. If Slash didn't want Izzy involved for financial (as some rumors suggested) or other reasons, then it doesn't really come as a shock to me that Duff would go along with Slash's wishes, even though he might have liked Izzy to be there as well. Family comes before anything else. If Axl didn't want Izzy involved for whatever reasons, Slash was going to go along with Axl's wishes (because he needs the money and him an Izzy were never that close either) and Duff would once again be siding withing Slash (and Axl).

And last but not least, we also shouldn't be forgetting Duff's own possible interests. If Duff really said something like "If Izzy's thinks he's gonna get his 20% back, then he's gonna wait for a long time" (or sthg. like that) as some "insider" claimed, then it appears his relationship with Izzy didn't mean that much to him after all :shrugs: (Or it does matter to him but he thought Izzy's demands were over the top/money mattered to him more).

2 hours ago, xBrownstonex said:

your posts are always fresh and exciting and never get boring cause theyre always the same old shit...

on no, wait..

Seriously. Some people here are so boring and predictable, not to mention trying way too hard to appear above it all/clever/funny/cool. It's cringeworthy.

Edited by Frey
  • Like 2