What is the secret to Axl Rose and Sebastian Bach's long-running friendship?

11 hours ago, downliner said:

Cool vid @Mendez thanks :) Sebastian is just so animated, I can't help but smile. His appearance on MTV Cribs was hilarious, if you've not seen it you should check it out on Youtube. His Kiss fanboyism is like 100x more severe than my own for GNR/Izzy. His entire house seemed to be decorated wall to wall in memorabilia and that's just awesome :lol:

This, he's a total rock/metal fanboy. Must be a great bloke to be around. I Love Baz and love this clip of him performing with one of his idols, Rob Halford. :headbang:

3 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

Everyone knows that Axl can't just have a normal relationship with a friend. They have to A) be on his payroll. B) Be a Yes man. C) TB.

Joking ofc. They seems to just get along? why do it have to be some kind of mystical secret to just have a friendship? Axl is human (i think) lol.

Baz is hilarious btw :lol: i wish he could do some guest spots this summer.

hahahahaha! love this :lol:

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Why does there have to be a secret?  Friends are friends aren't they, they get along...and anyway, how do you know about the level of friendship to presume there's anything deep to it, just cuz you talk to someone privately, or even confide in them about certain things doesn't suggest anything out of the ordinary or exceptional, it's just human relationships.

Couldn't've been that fuckin' private then could it? :lol:  What were you, looking through a keyhole or something? :lol:

5 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

:lol:

Actually I was in Axl Rose's dressing room.  Was there while they talked together and considering that there were MAYBE... by a high count... including myself... 4-5 people there, I consider that pretty fucking private.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Actually I was in Axl Rose's dressing room.  Was there while they talked together and considering that there were MAYBE... by a high count... including myself... 4-5 people there, I consider that pretty fucking private.

I wouldnt, its a dressing room after a gig, hardly grounds to make such a big judgement call over.  But anyway I was just tryna make you laugh with my comment, thats pretty cool man.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Nice one! The looking through a keyhole comment made me laugh out loud tbh, either that or I had you hanging from a window ledge having a peep through. :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gunsguy said:

I was able to view them shoot the shit very privately.

6 hours ago, gunsguy said:

There was nothing but love between them when I was there with them in 2010

What? Where? Who? How?

What does this all mean?

12 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

they got on well and guns and skid row had history and both bands enjoyed touring together in the late eighties early ninties. Sebastian mentions it in his book that he had not seen axl in a lot of years and suddently they contacted each other around 2006 when axl started to make public appearances.  Sebastian made axl feel good to be out in the public eye again and seb never had an agenda with axl.

This show axl's depression, for me

3 hours ago, gunsguy said:

Gunsguy, do you feel Axl is one of the most down to Earth people you have encountered?

15 hours ago, RussTCB said:

This. 

Also, people seem to forget that they haven't really been "friends" for as long as it seems. 

In the Eddie Trunk 06 interview, they both mention how they hadn't talked to each other in over a decade. Axl just happened to reach out to Bach prior to the Hammerstein shows and Bach was available due to the fact that he's A) Sebastian Bach and B) what you mentioned. 

Agreed. 

Look I've got nothing against the guy. He seems nice enough but I find him super annoying at times like Steven Adler. 

Going by the Trunk interview, Baz just fawns all over Axl. It seems to me like he uses Axl as a PR opportunity any chance he gets (fair play to that). If that doesn't convince people he's a sycophant, I don't know what will. Can you be friends with a sycophant? Sure -- some people probably prefer that. I doubt he has the relationship Duff has with Axl where Duff's telling him "Dude, you're getting fat - you need to start eating healthier. You have way too many leeches in your entourage. This song really blows (Oh My God)." There seems to be a parity in the relationship between Axl and Duff that probably isn't there with Baz. Or Izzy and Axl -- - "Axl, stop being a dick and show up to the concerts on time or you pay the fines yourself". I really doubt Baz could be that honest and upfront with Axl.

Many of us have friendships like this where we have the true friend who holds us accountable and the casual/fair weather friend who rides the fence. I don't doubt Axl is friends with Baz, but he seems to serve the same purpose Del does -- keeping Axl insulated in a sycophantic bubble. It feels good to have people tell you how wonderful you are 24/7. In Axl's eyes, Baz is probably a loyal friend since he's "all in". Neither Del nor Baz will bite the hand that feeds nor disagree with the status quo. Duff and Izzy on the other hand, will call Axl out whenever he's acting like a douche. Neither of them need Axl. I imagine those friendships are probably more difficult for Axl since they hold him accountable and he doesn't have a leg up over them in the relationship. 

I'd be interested to know how close Baz is to Duff and Slash. Their stage chemistry in Vegas didn't seem to indicate any particular warmth, especially on Slash's side... 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. 

Look I've got nothing against the guy. He seems nice enough but I find him super annoying at times like Steven Adler. 

Going by the Trunk interview, Baz just fawns all over Axl. It seems to me like he uses Axl as a PR opportunity any chance he gets (fair play to that). If that doesn't convince people he's a sycophant, I don't know what will. Can you be friends with a sycophant? Sure -- some people probably prefer that. I doubt he has the relationship Duff has with Axl where Duff's telling him "Dude, you're getting fat. You have way too many leeches in your entourage. This song really blows (Oh My God)." There seems to be a parity in the relationship between Axl and Duff that probably isn't there with Baz. Or Izzy and Axl -- - "Axl, stop being a dick and show up to the concerts on time or you pay the fines yourself". I really doubt Baz could be that honest and upfront with Axl.

Many of us have friendships like this where we have the true friend who holds us accountable and the casual/fair weather friend who make us feel good about ourselves. I don't doubt Axl is friends with Baz, but he seems to serve the same purpose Del does -- keeping Axl insulated in a sycophantic bubble. Duff and Izzy probably call Axl out whenever he's acting like a douche and those friendships are probably more difficult for him since they hold him accountable. 

I'd be interested to know how close Baz is to Duff and Slash. Their stage chemistry in Vegas didn't seem to indicate any particular warmth, especially on Slash's side... 

Slash and Duff audtioned him for  Velvet Revolver, so I'm sure they are cool with him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

I doubt he has the relationship Duff has with Axl where Duff's telling him "Dude, you're getting fat - you need to start eating healthier. You have way too many leeches in your entourage. This song really blows (Oh My God)."

I seriously doubt Duff would tell him stuff like that.... Have you seen that picture Susan posted recently??? Duff is already getting on the good side of TB, inviting them for Duff's Sunday Bbq and putting up with their crap, just for the sake of making Axl happy. Beta cooked coconut shrimp sauce and Fernando's wife made chocolate cookies, awwwwww..... all of that is very far from "dude, these TB guys are leeches" :rofl-lol:

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

Neither Del nor Baz will bite the hand that feeds nor disagree with the status quo.

Del will not but how does Baz live off Axl?? :question::question:

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

I don't know how close but Baz and Duff...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Gunsguy, do you feel Axl is one of the most down to Earth people you have encountered?

Axl was VERY down to earth and relaxed everytime I encountered him.  Some would say he was putting on an act, however keep in mind I spent hours with him each time, he was nothing less than interested in our conversation and a complete comedian and a super nice caring dude

Bach was typical Bach, very rock star type.

@Len Cnut I fucking lol'd bro!  I just wanted others to make sure they knew I wasent setting up hidden cams and such lol

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I wouldnt, its a dressing room after a gig, hardly grounds to make such a big judgement call over.  But anyway I was just tryna make you laugh with my comment, thats pretty cool man.

Consider the fact that Axl's dressing room is like his home.  It is his room and only his.  It is about as private as sitting in his living room.  It is not like he was in a big party area with many people there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

I seriously doubt Duff would tell him stuff like that.... Have you seen that picture Susan posted recently??? Duff is already getting on the good side of TB, inviting them for Duff's Sunday Bbq and putting up with their crap, just for the sake of making Axl happy. Beta cooked coconut shrimp sauce and Fernando's wife made chocolate cookies, awwwwww..... all of that is very far from "dude, these TB guys are leeches"

I mean there could be the possibility that Duff and/or Susan actually like TB as people.

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

I seriously doubt Duff would tell him stuff like that.... Have you seen that picture Susan posted recently??? Duff is already getting on the good side of TB, inviting them for Duff's Sunday Bbq and putting up with their crap, just for the sake of making Axl happy. Beta cooked coconut shrimp sauce and Fernando's wife made chocolate cookies, awwwwww..... all of that is very far from "dude, these TB guys are leeches" :rofl-lol:

Well, Duff's a smooth operator, I imagine he's very diplomatic about how he approaches these things with Axl. Did he really have lunch with TB though? Jesus. Talk about taking one for the team :lol:

Point being though -- I think Izzy and Duff were more upfront with Axl back in the day -- some much needed voices of reason amongst the Del James' and Doug Goldstein's. I don't think Duff takes any shit these days -- remember the Pittman rumor? Apparently he slammed Pittman up against the wall after his tweet :P

Del will not but how does Baz live off Axl?? :question::question:

I didn't mean he lives off him like Del -- just that his connection to Axl is a benefit career-wise. Baz is a relic from the hair metal era. Do you think people like Eddie Trunk would ever interview him if not for the Axl connection? I'm sure Baz would do okay on his own but certainly from a PR pov, he gets more attention since a lot of the interviewers use him to find out what's going on with Axl.

On 7. 4. 2017 at 5:55 AM, RONIN said:

He's a bootlicker like Del, therefore Axl keeps him around. 

Sure :facepalm: This is normal view :question: Axl can´t have true friends. Only bootlickers like Del, TB, Sante etc. They don´t like him as a person. 

8 minutes ago, Ota said:

Sure :facepalm: This is normal view :question: Axl can´t have true friends. Only bootlickers like Del, TB, Sante etc. They don´t like him as a person. 

Well, you can like Axl as a person and still be a bootlicker. These are not mutually exclusive things. I don't mean this in a bad way -- it is what it is. I don't think Baz is a leech like Del and TB...but he does appear to be a sycophant like Dizzy. If you think he isn't, that's cool.

I do think it's harder for people at Axl's level to have true friends though. Such is the nature of celebrity. Hangers-on are all part and parcel of that life. Axl also has a reputation for cutting his true friends out of his life if they don't go along with the program (Duff until recently, Marc Cantor, and Izzy).

All that being said, of course I think he has friends that truly care about him as a person and aren't sycophants. Tommy Stinson is the first person that comes to mind. He didn't take any BS from Axl but supported him as a good friend would all the way to the very end. 

12 hours ago, RONIN said:

Agreed. 

Going by the Trunk interview, Baz just fawns all over Axl. It seems to me like he uses Axl as a PR opportunity any chance he gets (fair play to that). If that doesn't convince people he's a sycophant, I don't know what will. Can you be friends with a sycophant? Sure -- some people probably prefer that. I doubt he has the relationship Duff has with Axl where Duff's telling him "Dude, you're getting fat - you need to start eating healthier. You have way too many leeches in your entourage. This song really blows (Oh My God)." There seems to be a parity in the relationship between Axl and Duff that probably isn't there with Baz. Or Izzy and Axl -- - "Axl, stop being a dick and show up to the concerts on time or you pay the fines yourself". I really doubt Baz could be that honest and upfront with Axl.

Many of us have friendships like this where we have the true friend who holds us accountable and the casual/fair weather friend who rides the fence. I don't doubt Axl is friends with Baz, but he seems to serve the same purpose Del does -- keeping Axl insulated in a sycophantic bubble. It feels good to have people tell you how wonderful you are 24/7. In Axl's eyes, Baz is probably a loyal friend since he's "all in". Neither Del nor Baz will bite the hand that feeds nor disagree with the status quo. Duff and Izzy on the other hand, will call Axl out whenever he's acting like a douche. Neither of them need Axl. I imagine those friendships are probably more difficult for Axl since they hold him accountable and he doesn't have a leg up over them in the relationship. 

Agreed (except the Oh My God part). 

Whenever people have told me what a dick they think Axl is and how they can't believe he acted like that in the 90s, I always ask them this: How would you act if you could literally pay everyone around you to tell you you're right? As far as Baz goes, I feel the same way you do. I have nothing against the guy. I loves me some Skids, I like some of his solo stuff, I've seen him several times in concert with and without Skids, etc etc. None of that changes the fact that he's a Yes Man for Axl.