Axl and Slash versus Izzy

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, my memories a little indistinct but didn't Slashes book say some shit happened to Izzy, something spooked him or something that after that he turned his life around?  I hope I didn't hallucinate the whole thing, I have been known to do that, someone help me out here :lol:

Getting arrested for pissing on a plane?

• Like 2

Just finished Steven's autobiography.

According to Steven, Izzy was always just taking off without any reason. then he would show back up.

As for Axl, if Steven is telling the truth, Axl was always on his own with writing songs to hanging out with other friends.

Duff said Axl had panic attacks and Duff related to that. I believe that. Being expected to tour, write songs and travel and always be on point has to be very stressful.

I really wish Axl would write a book. I want to hear his story. I believe Duff before I believe Steven, because my God, Steven was so fucked up on crack, how can he remember all that happened to him?

Everyone has their life traits. I'm just glad the band members realized how fucked up they were and got help. Meanwhile, Axl fired them all, but Slash says he left, anyway.

Steven said Slash always felt GNR would reunite and he told him he would reunite only if the 5 original members were part of it. I guess Slash changed his mind since then. Sometimes when you get older you realize things change and you need to change with them.

I believe Steven's mother was trying so hard to help him the best way she knew how. Sometimes you can't help the ones you love until the hit rock bottom and want the help. His mom fought to get Steven's his fair share of GNR's money, so he should be grateful he didn't spend it all on drugs.

I think the guys being older now realize you have to put yourself out there to make things happen. I don't think Izzy ever liked being part of something bigger than the 5 original members, so he left. You can't force a person to do what you want them to do.

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, my memories a little indistinct but didn't Slashes book say some shit happened to Izzy, something spooked him or something that after that he turned his life around?  I hope I didn't hallucinate the whole thing, I have been known to do that, someone help me out here :lol:

don't ask me i am prone to that myself! :blink:

4 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Duff said Axl had panic attacks and Duff related to that. I believe that.

oh i have thought this for YEARS as i have them myself and see a lot of the signs in Axl. you would be surprised the number of actors and musicians who suffer with them...

18 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

A fax?! Are you certain of these facts?

bad pun :lol:

9 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

He didn't "bail" during the illusions tour... And you aren't seriously blaming Izzy's sobriety for GNR falling apart are you? :facepalm:

From Duff's book:

From Slash's Book:

^^^^^^ this

20 hours ago, downliner said:

Izzy Stradlin is Guns N Roses.

If there was any truth to this, IZZY's solo work would sound a helluva lot more like a GN'R album than it does. In fact, it could be easily argued that IZZY's solo stuff sounds the least like a GN'R album.

GN'R has been and always will be the 5 guys that created AFD, LIES and many of the songs on the UYI double-album. Each of them were necessary to create the "GN'R" sound. One man was not the band. Even though IZZY was instrumental in writing or helping to write a lot of GN'R songs, he wasn't as identifiable as AXL or SLASH when it came to the sound the band became famous for. That's precisely why both of them are more widely known among casual fans.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

is that like breaking up over email?? oh wait that's more a text thing isnt it? ;)

Well they say bands breaking up is like a marriage breaking up don't they. I'd say a relationship between a band like that would be something none of us could truly understand, being 5 little dots in the world that come together and create something so special...their little baby if you like. Sleeping on floors and in cramped vans not knowing if anyone's gonna give a shit to limos and hotels and everybody giving a shit. To see a part of that walk away would have been heartbreaking for the band i'd imagine and equally as heartbreaking for Izzy to have to make that decision.

1 minute ago, Silverburst80 said:

Well they say bands breaking up is like a marriage breaking up don't they. I'd say a relationship between a band like that would be something none of us could truly understand, being 5 little dots in the world that come together and create something so special...their little baby if you like. Sleeping on floors and in cramped vans not knowing if anyone's gonna give a shit to limos and hotels and everybody giving a shit. To see a part of that walk away would have been heartbreaking for the band i'd imagine and equally as heartbreaking for Izzy to have to make that decision.

sorry was just being facetious! yes it would be very heartbreaking :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

sorry was just being facetious! yes it would be very heartbreaking :)

ha I know you were but it's not far off being true, though seeing it wasn't actually through email and through the accountant that would be a weird way to break up with your girlfriend/boyfriend....creative but weird.

Edited by Silverburst80
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

ha I know you were but it's not far off being true, though seeing it wasn't actually through email and through the accountant that would be a weird way to break up with your girlfriend/boyfriend....creative but weird.

a third party break up....weird indeed! :D

21 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Slash only ever seemed pissed at Izzy because he left via email, not because he left in general.

Email in '91? I assume it was a fax ;)

Look, they were pissed then, but they got over it a long time ago. If you think Izzy not being on tour with them right now has something to do with a grudge over how he left all those years back, you're crazy. 

They've obviously had a business dispute, but if they were all in the same room they'd get on just fine. End of.

One thing weird about the Slash quote is Izzy telling Alan he was quitting. As far as I remember from the GnR timeline, Alan was fired in early '91 and that event pretty much accelerated Izzy's decision to quit 3 months later.

They could have kept Izzy in the band but it would have meant major concessions from Axl. Probably retaining Alan Niven as the manager, Axl showing up on time and assuming any and all damages/fees from his end, no more big cheesy videos...

There's a vague suggestion from Slash in interviews right after Izzy left that Izzy may not have been all that happy with how his songs turned out on Illusions. Like he felt the essence of the music was lost with Axl overproducing the songs and bloating them with overdubs and synth. 

Seems like a perfect storm of issues. I'm just grateful Axl didn't get his wish to delay Illusions further so that he could scrub the record of Izzy's work (let's be real here, he absolutely would have done that - hell he did it on TSI).

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Didn't Izzy get the major para's over some unspoken incident that sort of changed his life?  I wonder what it was.  I'm sure there's some child kidnapping case in the early 90s they can pin on him :lol:  

Michael Bisping tells an insane story about his days as a DJ in Manchester

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/michael-bisping-tells-an-insane-story-about-his-days-as-a-dj-in-manchester-103109

On 08/04/2017 at 2:24 PM, Silverburst80 said:

Slash only ever seemed pissed at Izzy because he left via email, not because he left in general.

Can't say I'd ever heard of email in '92.  Where do you get your information?

13 hours ago, thunderram said:

If there was any truth to this, IZZY's solo work would sound a helluva lot more like a GN'R album than it does. In fact, it could be easily argued that IZZY's solo stuff sounds the least like a GN'R album.

GN'R has been and always will be the 5 guys that created AFD, LIES and many of the songs on the UYI double-album. Each of them were necessary to create the "GN'R" sound. One man was not the band. Even though IZZY was instrumental in writing or helping to write a lot of GN'R songs, he wasn't as identifiable as AXL or SLASH when it came to the sound the band became famous for. That's precisely why both of them are more widely known among casual fans.

Thats just because Axl and Slash were the leads. Izzy was what got the rhythm section pounding from a writing perspective. If Axl and Slash had sang and played Lead Guitar on Izzy's solo stuff it WOULD sound like Guns N' Roses. 

Edited by Izzymacbeth
Spelling

I don't think Izzy wanted to sound like GnR on his solo stuff. Whatever, "sound like GnR" is a wide term cause sure AFD GnR doesn't sound like most of UYI GnR. Izzy's style is way more simple but he still has some songs, especially the most punk rockers that could be an AFD song any day.

On 08/04/2017 at 2:08 AM, downliner said:

and Peter Criss is KISS, Michael Anthony is Van Halen, Steve Vai is Whitesnake, Richie Kotzen is Mr. Big AND Poison, Bill Ward is Black Sabbath, Dave Sabo is Bon Jovi... 

On 08/04/2017 at 6:08 AM, downliner said:

currently it feels like the band are being purposefully deceitful and tricking the general public into believing they are seeing a reunited GNR.... & unfortunately the majority are suckers for a million dollar marketing campaign I guess.

What a load of shite!

23 minutes ago, cqleonardo said:

and Peter Criss is KISS, Michael Anthony is Van Halen, Steve Vai is Whitesnake, Richie Kotzen is Mr. Big AND Poison, Bill Ward is Black Sabbath, Dave Sabo is Bon Jovi... 

Whoa whoa the huge difference between izzy and Peter cross and those others you listed are that izzy actually wrote shit tons of material. He was instrumental in developing not only the sound of the band at the beginning but also the look and style as well. Without izzy there is no gone. Remember, Alan Niven always believed that izzy was the leader of the band, that he was the major force behind it. Peter criss can, well, suck my dick for all I care.

Both Axl and Duff suffered from panic attacks. I've had a few in my life and they are the worse feeling in the world. You just can't stop freaking out and yet you don't know why?

I feel sorry for anyone who has experienced these feelings. it's just terrible to not be able to control your emotions.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:50 AM, cheesecake said:

Not this again....

Welcome to the Guns N' Roses fan forum. Where we beat the same shit out time and again till death do us part.

:lol:

We also over analyze and read too deep into things, especially the ones that are simple for the sake of argument :P 

• Like 1