Paul Tobias' piano on There Was A Time

It's a privilege that GnR has their own Yoko Ono.

I bet Axl shared his writing credits with him - there's no way this colossal tool Tobias had a hand in creating four GnR classics like Prostitute, Catcher, TWAT and Oh My God. No fucking way. 

That's a quantum leap in quality. How do you go from Back off Bitch to Catcher in the Rye? 

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 3

On ‎9‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, RONIN said:

It's a privilege that GnR has their own Yoko Ono.

I bet Axl shared his writing credits with him - there's no way this colossal tool Tobias had a hand in creating four GnR classics like Prostitute, Catcher, TWAT and Oh My God. No fucking way. 

That's a quantum leap in quality. How do you go from Back off Bitch to Catcher in the Rye? 

He should have stopped writing after 'Back Off Bitch'.  He never scaled those kinda heights again ...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Nikki_Sixx said:

He should have stopped writing after 'Back Off Bitch'.  He never scaled those kinda heights again ...

Dude you're so right. :lol:

I like some of the Chinese songs. And the ones I like were cowritten by Tobias.:facepalm:

1 hour ago, maynard said:

When you think you did something amazing, remember Polto Bias played to 200,000 people being a semi-amateur guitar player and basically a nobody.

That was just from knowing a guy who had that gig lined up whether Paul came or not. Not thru any merit on Paul's composing or playing prowess. That's some mighty fine coat tail ridin'

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Is Paul still alive? Do we know what happened to him post 2001?

He was in a band called Mank Rage. But I haven't any other informations.

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

He was in a band called Mank Rage. But I haven't any other informations.

together with Dave Lank (see UYI, liner notes for Don't Damn Me ;) ). those two also were in a band called AXL back in Lafayette in the late 1970's - together with Axl and Izzy. Izzy and Axl of course in the next incarnation of AXL in LA, which later evolved into Rose and later renamed to Hollywood Rose. the rest is well known history :) 

edit: fuck, I got it wrong, story fixed.

Edited by zombux

12 hours ago, maynard said:

When you think you did something amazing, remember Polto Bias played to 200,000 people being a semi-amateur guitar player and basically a nobody.

Pretty much. Dude is the poster boy for nepotism.  For the zero talent that he is, it's incredible what he was able to achieve.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I wonder how much Paul wrote and what. 

He's credited as songwriter on some of the raddest tunes. Good job Paul. 

Saying "Good job Paul" is fightin' words in these parts friend. :lol:

He has songwriting credits all over Chinese Democracy. Something like 80-85% of the album is credited to Tobias. He co-wrote the best rocker from that era, "Oh My God". That's insane. Was this guy really that good of a songwriter? He's basically the Izzy Stradlin' of Chinese Democracy if Axl's crediting system is to be believed.

There's no way this is possible. I mean it can't be...can it? :o

Edited by RONIN

4 minutes ago, RONIN said:

He has songwriting credits all over Chinese Democracy. Something like 80-85% of the album is credited to Tobias. He co-wrote the best rocker from that era, "Oh My God". That's insane. Was this guy really that good of a songwriter? He's basically the Izzy Stradlin' of Chinese Democracy if Axl's crediting system is to be believed.

Maybe he wrote one line or one note and Axl gave him the credits. 

When it came to guitars Bucket and Robin did an amazing job. 

Tommy had said that in the early CD days there were some people who din't even know shit about music and I am sure it was directed at Paul. 

Bucket, Josh and Robin were already talented and had their own fan base, when it came to Paul, he was a nobody. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RONIN said:

:lol:

What's incredible is that this amazing talent was all unknown until Axl summoned him for Chinese Democracy. :facepalm:

If he's such a great songwriter (like Axl wants to make us believe) then why doesn't he have his own musical project to prove it?

• Like 2