Paul Tobias' piano on There Was A Time

35 minutes ago, killuridols said:

:lol:

What's incredible is that this amazing talent was all unknown until Axl summoned him for Chinese Democracy. :facepalm:

If he's such a great songwriter (like Axl wants to make us believe) then why doesn't he have his own musical project to prove it?

Right - exactly. :lol: It comes off like a ridiculous attempt to legitimize the "solo" years. 

Here's Paul's bedroom band Mank Rage that lit the world on fire:

So I was off -- it wasn't 80% of the album, he's credited with 7 out of 14 songs. He co-wrote 1/2 the album. :o:facepalm:

There's also this gem:  

Paul helped get a lot of the base credits etc together which were extensive. He's always had a good memory on that stuff and it's generally important to him to be as ethical as he's capable which is invaluable. -Axl 

So basically, Paul credited himself :lol::lol:

1. Chinese Democracy
Album credits: Axl, Josh Freese
ASCAP: Axl, Josh Freese, Robin, Tommy, Dizzy, Paul, Eric Caudieux and Caram Costanzo

2. Shackler's Revenge
Album credits: Axl, Buckethead, Caram Costanzo, Brain and Pete Scaturro
ASCAP: Axl, Buckethead, Robin, Caram Costanzo, Brain and Pete Scaturro

3. Better 
Album credits: Axl, Robin
ASCAP: Axl, Robin

4. Street of Dreams
Album credits: Axl, Dizzy and Tommy
ASCAP: Axl, Dizzy, Tommy, Robin and Paul

5. If The World
Album credits: Axl, Chris
ASCAP: Axl, Chris

6. There Was A Time
Album credits: Axl, Paul and Dizzy
ASCAP: Axl, Paul, Tommy and Dizzy

7. Catcher in the Rye
Album credits: Axl and Paul
ASCAP: Axl, Paul, Robin, Dizzy and Tommy

8. Scraped
Album credits: Axl, Buckethead and Caram Costanzo
ASCAP: Axl, Buckethead and Caram Costanzo

9. Riad and the Bedouins
Album credits: Axl, Tommy
ASCAP: Axl, Tommy, Robin, Dizzy and Paul

10. Sorry
Album credits: Axl, Buckethead, Brain and Pete Scaturro
ASCAP: Axl, Buckethead, Brain and Pete Scaturro

11. IRS
Album credits: Axl, Paul and Dizzy
ASCAP: Axl, Paul and Dizzy

12. Madagascar
Album credits: Axl, Chris
ASCAP: Axl, Chris and Martin Luther King 14

13. This I Love
Album credits: Axl
ASCAP: Axl

14. Prostitute
Album credits: Axl, Paul
ASCAP: Axl, Paul and Robin

Therefore:

Robin - Six additional credits (total of seven)
Dizzy - Three additional credits (total of six)
Tommy - Three additional credits (total of five)
Paul - Two additional credits (total of seven)

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=7377

Edited by RONIN

It's not that Paul Huge can't play, he can, he's got some licks, but what he doesn't have is any style

You see this all the time with garage band players. They can play in a scale, they've got appropriate chords, but beyond that, there's nothing there. There's no personal feeling.

Slash saw this right away and combined with Paul's hostile attitude, it was apparently what offended him the most about the forced collaboration. Slash has a guitar language all his own, it's rooted in the classic rock feel of the seventies, but its instantly identifiable because of its idiosyncrasy. Paul Huge could play guitar all day and you would never be able to distinguish him from any other bland six-stringer. 

It's not surprising to me that Paul was credited with lots of decent Chinese songs, but I doubt that he was the creative catalyst on any of them. He probably just jammed on them for years until he found a certain flavor that was compenant enough to serve the song. That's what I figure. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

The dude cant be all that useless. He even cowrote a few OG GnR songs.

I think Axl gave Paul undeserved credit to try to make him the new Izzy or something. Like some people said, outside of GNR, this guy accomplished nothing. Even Gilby has solo albums. It's clearly Axl forcing the guy down everyone's throat.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RONIN said:

Right - exactly. :lol: It comes off like a ridiculous attempt to legitimize the "solo" years. 

Here's Paul's bedroom band Mank Rage that lit the world on fire:

An attempt to make Slash believe he was wrong when he dismissed Paul's talent :facepalm:

Now, seriously, what does this guy do for a living? :question:
Bedroom band is not something you can give too much credit for...
What did he do before becoming the Izzy of ChinDem? :question:
What is he doing now? :question:

Basically, how does this Tobias pay his bills? :shrugs:

I just checked his wikipedia page and found this:

Tobias has worked with former Guns N' Roses drummer Brain on several tracks ofproduction music for an album called "Eclectic Cinema". The album also features Guns N' Roses and Buckethead collaborator Pete Scaturro and future Guns N' Roses keyboardist Melissa Reese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Tobias

14 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

It's not that Paul Huge can't play, he can, he's got some licks, but what he doesn't have is any style

You see this all the time with garage band players. They can play in a scale, they've got appropriate chords, but beyond that, there's nothing there. There's no personal feeling.

Slash saw this right away and combined with Paul's hostile attitude, it was apparently what offended him the most about the forced collaboration. Slash has a guitar language all his own, it's rooted in the classic rock feel of the seventies, but its instantly identifiable because of its idiosyncrasy. Paul Huge could play guitar all day and you would never be able to distinguish him from any other bland six-stringer. 

It's not surprising to me that Paul was credited with lots of decent Chinese songs, but I doubt that he was the creative catalyst on any of them. He probably just jammed on them for years until he found a certain flavor that was compenant enough to serve the song. That's what I figure. 

Thanks for the overview -- I'm not a guitar player so this insight is really interesting. He certainly doesn't sound bad on Sympathy for the Devil to my ears.

For a perfectionist like Axl, it boggles the mind that he had Paul in the band as long as he did though. It must have been a bizarre sight to have Paul jamming with world class musicians like Buckethead, Finck, and Tommy. Loyalty is one thing, but it seems like Axl was willing to diminish his own art for the sake of friendship. 

10 hours ago, killuridols said:

An attempt to make Slash believe he was wrong when he dismissed Paul's talent :facepalm:

Now, seriously, what does this guy do for a living? :question:
Bedroom band is not something you can give too much credit for...
What did he do before becoming the Izzy of ChinDem? :question:
What is he doing now? :question:

Basically, how does this Tobias pay his bills? :shrugs:

A. Leeching off Axl. - I think Axl's brother Stuart is on the payroll so you know he probably takes care of Paul still.

B. Chinese Democracy royalties. :lol:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Mauricedergeile said:

I read somewhere (probably on heretodaygonetohell. com) that he was mobbed out of the band

I never believed the story that he felt unconfortable with touring. They didn't tour that much in 2001, y'know.

Just now, Sosso said:

I never believed the story that he felt unconfortable with touring. They didn't tour that much in 2001, y'know.

I also don't believe the mobbed story because i think axl would totally fucked the ass of this guy up