Will anybody else be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary?

I'm not sure if anybody else cares at this point, but I will be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't put whatever reservations they might have aside and regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary this year. And I'm not talking about bringing Izzy and Steven out for x amount of songs, I want a full set-list performed by the classic 5 ONLY!

Is it conceivable that this could happen (even if for 1 or 2 shows)? Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I feel like GNR owes this to their fanbase!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

I'm not sure if anybody else cares at this point, but I will be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't put whatever reservations they might have aside and regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary this year. And I'm not talking about bringing Izzy and Steven out for x amount of songs, I want a full set-list performed by the classic 5 ONLY!

Is it conceivable that this could happen (even if for 1 or 2 shows)? Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I feel like GNR owes this to their fanbase!

Doubtful but it would be cool. I'm fine either way though tbh, the lineup and shows are good as is, I just want them to work on new material once the tour is over. Unless Izzy and Steven are gonna join full time I doubt Axl will want them to play a full show, it gives the fans the wrong impression and they'll be disappointed when they don't stay.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

Sadly I can't see it happening. Axl seems very firm on Fortus on rythym and Frank on drums and I can't see him replacing them even for a gig. Best case scenario is you'll have AFD for a few songs with Frank and Fortus still on stage. Plus, Izzy and now Steven's relationships with the band are strayed.

I don't think Axl would even consider calling Steven/Matt to fill in for Frank if he couldn't do it for whatever reason. I don't see it happening but I sure as fuck want it to happen. It's pretty stupid Izzy played with DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot but still hasn't played on the reunion tour lol

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

I wouldn't be bummed out at all. If it happens, cool! If it doesn't, that's cool too. 

The only reason I can think of not for them to do a classic 5 one off show is that people will forever ask them to just do that. The money would be great, but you're basically signing off on never hearing new music again because that would be 100% nostalgia.

• Like 4

Nope.

And honestly, I might actively be rooting against it at this point.  It would obviosuly a not even all that pleasant one off, but no one will take it like that.  Not looking forward to then having to sift through a bunch of whining about how "this is how it should be" and how anything other than those 5 guys is just an affront to humankind.

Pass.

• Like 3

I think it'd be a bit awkward if Axl, slash, and duff did a full show with just izzy and Steven and then went back to the NITL version of the band. Though I would love it if the NITL band did another surprise show in LA that day and bring out izzy and Steven as guests for the whole thing (sans the UYI and CD tracks). If it doesn't happen though, no big deal. The AFD5 will probably get back together for a purely nostalgic show in like another 10-15 years, once Axl is certain he's ready to retire. 

Edited by rocknroll41

I personally have no preference. Sure, it would be a little bit of a bummer if the AFD5 never got on stage together again but I would just deal with it and move on. I love what they're doing now and think that a revamped setlist would breathe new life into the shows

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, todreamofwolves said:

I feel like GNR owes this to their fanbase!

I honestly can't fathom why people say stuff like this? They don't 'owe' the fans anything, they already gave us so much. Undoubtedly it would be awesome though, even for a handful of club shows. We can only hope.

• Like 3

Seriously...Would be fantastic!!!! But with a condition, taking into account that "doing the right thing" subject, then it would be wonderful if everyone is in agreement, if everyone wants and feels motivated to do, otherwise, I have no interest.

Everyone= All 5 of them.

I'm not expecting the original 5 to reunite for an AFD anniversary show , but for me it would be great.  I dont see why it would cast a shadow on the rest of the tour or somehow make it less legitimate, with some clever promotion it could stand alone, it might even pave the way for  some collaboration further on down the road.

I would be surprised if they don't acknowledeg the 30 anniversary at all , but let's face it, no matter how they celebrate not everyone will be happy and I learnt a long time ago not expect too much from GnR or you could spend years being bummed. 

Edited by Archtop

I wouldn't be bummed. I still think it would be nice for Izzy to do a guest spot here and there but I just don't think he brings anything to the table in a live setting. 

And given the fact that the past 25 years of GN'R has been one big celebration of AFD I would much rather they all got together,  Izzy included and wrote another freakin album. 

Nah. But I never really viewed it anything that would ever happen or as some big endgame either. I was pretty shocked just that Axl and Slash were talking and going on tour. Don't get me wrong I'd like to see em all do something together, but that's their business. I'll check out whatever any of them do. Expections and wants don't fly with this band bless their hearts :lol:

Not at all.

I've been following this band for almost 30 years and I've learned the hard way what Axl stands for and what he wants for his band. Because it is his band now. Never forget.

He might accept a full reunion just to celebrate the anniversary of AFD, but don't dream further than that, if it ever happens.

I only care for new music and moving forward. Too much wasted time, too many years of stagnation and very little time left to do something relevant.

• Like 3

I would like to see it, but it wouldn't crush me.

If it all goes to hell after this tour I am just really happy I got to enjoy all of this.

I never expected to see Slash and Axl together on a stage again, especially in person. So no matter what happens from here on out is okay with me.

• Like 1

No

Just because I dont expect it and they all fucked it up to get it the first time around. It should havr happened but it didnt. If it does, awesome, but Im already impressed with the partial reunion and am content I got what I did. Even if it is half assed

12 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Nah. But I never really viewed it anything that would ever happen or as some big endgame either. I was pretty shocked just that Axl and Slash were talking and going on tour. Don't get me wrong I'd like to see em all do something together, but that's their business. I'll check out whatever any of them do. Expections and wants don't fly with this band bless their hearts :lol:

i was ecstatic that Axl and Slash made amends. the most heart breaking thing i ever read was Slash coming to Axl's door and Axl not even bothering to come and say hi :cry: so Slash being with Axl and playing together was all i really wanted. but NOW i would so love to see the AFD reunite. if it happens i'll be over the moon, if not, thank you all for what you did give and all your fans :heart:

• Like 3