Will anybody else be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary?

I find interesting that even in this particular period of time, people still want another reunion (or a more legitimate one) which would give rise for more injection of nostalgia with endless AFD touring.

I'll be really bummed if I never get to hear new music from these guys again, but that's just me.

2 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

I'm not sure if anybody else cares at this point, but I will be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't put whatever reservations they might have aside and regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary this year. And I'm not talking about bringing Izzy and Steven out for x amount of songs, I want a full set-list performed by the classic 5 ONLY!

Is it conceivable that this could happen (even if for 1 or 2 shows)? Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I feel like GNR owes this to their fanbase!

It would be great! I have a week of holidays in July.

Maybe Izzy would agree to do one show in LA, but I doubt he'd want to do a big tour. You know Steven would do it in a minute.

If the original 5 members ever did do a concert even for the last time, it better be either on PPV or released on blue ray soon after.

Every GNR fan would want to have this in their collection or see it live one more time.

I won't be disappointed if there's not an AFD 5 reunion in a few months. The time to be disappointed about it was at the Troubadour last year. With the anniversary in the middle of the European leg i don't see them wanting to do it. Of course it would be great if they did do something but I've not set any expectations 

Edited by Gold top 78
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

No

Just because I dont expect it and they all fucked it up to get it the first time around. It should havr happened but it didnt. If it does, awesome, but Im already impressed with the partial reunion and am content I got what I did. Even if it is half assed

Half assed?

Clearly, your haven't been to one of their shows!

If Axl is being honest with himself (and we are with ourselves), his career as an artist peeked in the 1986-1988 time frame.  How many of us would want to live with the fact that our professional high point was reached between 24 and 26 years old.  For this reason, I think he's been trying to bury that period and somehow reinvigorate his cultural relevance for years.  Getting on stage for over an hour with Steven and Izzy to play the entire AFD album isn't going to help his fragile psyche.

I'd still like if Izzy had some hand in writing with the band when/If an album ever materialises. I might not care if the classic 5 do shows together but his songwriting is one of the main reasons GNR are as successful as they are, and yes Slash's guitar playing and Axls singing... yada, yada.

4 minutes ago, PeterNorth said:

If Axl is being honest with himself (and we are with ourselves), his career as an artist peeked in the 1986-1988 time frame.  How many of us would want to live with the fact that our professional high point was reached between 24 and 26 years old.  For this reason, I think he's been trying to bury that period and somehow reinvigorate his cultural relevance for years.  Getting on stage for over an hour with Steven and Izzy to play the entire AFD album isn't going to help his fragile psyche.

I'd think he grew alot as a lyricist on the Illusions albums so i don't know if he peaked in 88, it's a long time ago regardless . I'm very interested to see what he's capable of still, perhaps with Duff and Slash in the mix alot of weight will be lifted off his shoulders in a creative sense...obviously hitting the heights of AFD/Illusions is a stretch but it would be fascinating regardless.

As for the AFD5?, it's got to a point where it would be weird for me. Sure it would be an awesome sight but really it would be for 1 show, how do you then revert back to the current band?. I think sadly getting the original band together for more than that means alot less to Axl (and maybe Slash n Duff AND Izzy) than it does to us.

25 minutes ago, PeterNorth said:

What the hell are you on about? if anything his career peak was '91. However he's going through a resurgence at the moment as well. When was the last time Axl has been this popular among music fans and media? probably '88 before people got wind of his difficult personality and all the late starts. Don't underestimate the impact the UYI albums had at the time, people might not gush over them quite as much these days but back then!? they were everywhere... think Ed Sheerans current album, and exposure.

Peaking in '86? BEFORE AFD was even released:facepalm::rofl-lol:

• Like 3

No, I won't be bummed out if the five original members don't play together. I have come to grips with the fact that Izzy and Steven aren't going to be at any 2017 shows. I don't even think Axl, Slash, and Duff are going to make new music. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joeypeeps said:

No, I won't be bummed out if the five original members don't play together. I have come to grips with the fact that Izzy and Steven aren't going to be at any 2017 shows. I don't even think Axl, Slash, and Duff are going to make new music. Hope I'm wrong.

I think Axl's been very coy when the music subject has been broached the two times it has, but he hasn't shot it down either and if we know anything about the guy he would if it's 100% not happening. They're obviously sharing music around to each other so that's a good sign.

How many same topics with different names have we had thus far here?

suspicious of a world record.

and no! Not thrilled with AFD anniversary, for AFD material is only thing Ax ever played with every incarnation he has played with.

in fact, couldn't care less about seeng Adler play.

unless it is Slash/Duff/Izzy,Gilby/Matt/Axl, I couldn't care less. Give me Illusion type shows, give me Rio'91 type show.

• Like 1

Would be cool.  Id love to watch the periscopes and all.  We know to much about the back story for it to make me giddy if it happened though.  Theres a toxic sheen to it all from where I stand.  I wont be let down if it doesnt happen.  That let down has already happened for me.  

I wish there was something Izzy and Steven could do on their own.  To me that would be bad ass rock n roll, but I cant imagine what that would be.  I dig their Do You Love Me cover but I dont know how they could honour the anniversary on their own.

I think it will happen. Like this reuniting of the Big 3, the AFD5 will be sold. Once this particular reunion of Slash and Axl is complete, maybe now all the pieces are in play. Izzy has played with Axl so that's all good. Steven has done a guest spot. I think once this line up dies then the promoters might start looking at the AFD5 thing. Offering huge deals for one off stadium deals. I've always thought a residency of some sort would suit Izzy and Adler more. They could charge more for tickets, no travel, not as much stress. 

What if Rock in Rio Izzy and Adler play? Then after that into the studio to record. Okay now I know I need help. 

• Like 4

I don't expect it, but yes, I'll be bummed.

But don't expect ONLY the five. Axl will at least get Dizzy in (which I'm fine with, though many will disagree), and Steven/Izzy would be idiots to turn down an AFD+Dizzy show.

If anything, I bet we'd get AFD5 plus several guests.

15 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think it will happen. Like this reuniting of the Big 3, the AFD5 will be sold. Once this particular reunion of Slash and Axl is complete, maybe now all the pieces are in play. Izzy has played with Axl so that's all good. Steven has done a guest spot. I think once this line up dies then the promoters might start looking at the AFD5 thing. Offering huge deals for one off stadium deals. I've always thought a residency of some sort would suit Izzy and Adler more. They could charge more for tickets, no travel, not as much stress. 

What if Rock in Rio Izzy and Adler play? Then after that into the studio to record. Okay now I know I need help. 

you are tops in my book! ;)

41 minutes ago, soon said:

I wish there was something Izzy and Steven could do on their own.  To me that would be bad ass rock n roll, but I cant imagine what that would be.  I dig their Do You Love Me cover but I dont know how they could honour the anniversary on their own.

Steven and Izzy would sell to a big crowd of us die-hards lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wasted said:

OMG. What a relapse.

He's going back to Promises. Let's wish him well.

6 hours ago, jafeijo said:

I find interesting that even in this particular period of time, people still want another reunion (or a more legitimate one) which would give rise for more injection of nostalgia with endless AFD touring.

I'll be really bummed if I never get to hear new music from these guys again, but that's just me.

I'm looking forward to a new Slash album

• Like 2