Will anybody else be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary?

I don't want the AFD band to regroup as they are not the same people back in 87 they are older and don't have the punk and "don't give a fuck' attitude like they did in their early 20's  And I saw them play in Sydney on the 88 tour which was something. I don't want a bunch of older players trying to recreate that part of their lives.

5 hours ago, PeterNorth said:

If Axl is being honest with himself (and we are with ourselves), his career as an artist peeked in the 1986-1988 time frame.  How many of us would want to live with the fact that our professional high point was reached between 24 and 26 years old.  For this reason, I think he's been trying to bury that period and somehow reinvigorate his cultural relevance for years.  Getting on stage for over an hour with Steven and Izzy to play the entire AFD album isn't going to help his fragile psyche.

His songwriting hit its peak with the illusions stuff.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, D-GenerationX said:

Nope.

And honestly, I might actively be rooting against it at this point.  It would obviosuly a not even all that pleasant one off, but no one will take it like that.  Not looking forward to then having to sift through a bunch of whining about how "this is how it should be" and how anything other than those 5 guys is just an affront to humankind.

Pass.

Same here. I am fine with it the way it is.

If Axl is being honest with himself (and we are with ourselves), his career as an artist peeked in the 1986-1988 time frame.  How many of us would want to live with the fact that our professional high point was reached between 24 and 26 years old.  For this reason, I think he's been trying to bury that period and somehow reinvigorate his cultural relevance for years.  Getting on stage for over an hour with Steven and Izzy to play the entire AFD album isn't going to help his fragile psyche.

I'd say the majority of successful musicians peak creatively before 30.  Once they "make it," they don't really have the experiences anymore to draw upon to inspire great new music.  A lot of the UYI stuff was written before the band got huge.

I can't really think of any great song written by a band in their 50's.  What do they write about?  Their kids?  The time the limo driver was late or some annoying brat sat next to them in first class and didn't let them sleep on a flight?

• Like 2

I don't think it's that at all. It's pretty rare in showbiz for people to be at the top of their game for a long period of time. There's always one album, or film, or TV show that is considered the zenith of their career, and it might very well happen when they're in their 20s and they're young, pretty and healthy. Most athletes are over the hill by the time they're 30 even if they are Olympic medalists or World Series winners.

Axl's achieved far more than most people ever get to do in their lifetime. Perhaps he's happy he got that peak at all, when most people don't. Even at his nadir he had far more money, influence and ability to do what he wanted than most people.

I didn't want to say this because I'd rather not think about it but it's reality. I would be bummed if one of them passed away and an AFD5 reunion never gets to happen even though they are fully capable of it. Doesn't even have to be this year. But with so many bands (like The Beatles when John passed) that were robbed of the opportunity to reunite, they should take advantage of it while they're all in good health. You never know what tomorrow brings. Just my two cents.

Edited by tajandreas

Yeah.  I don't think anyone ever expected all five of them to live through the end of the 1980s, let alone make it to the year 2017.

Fuck it...they owe it to themselves and each other to at least play ONE song together.  Just to acknowledge the fact that they all survived this long, somehow.

I don't care if they don't play a full show or a tour or anything, but now that the biggest rift has been mended, it just seems like a sin to not have all five of them on stage together at least ONE more time.

Fucking Izzy.  Just stop being a bitch and play ONE song.

11 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

I'm not sure if anybody else cares at this point, but I will be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't put whatever reservations they might have aside and regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary this year. And I'm not talking about bringing Izzy and Steven out for x amount of songs, I want a full set-list performed by the classic 5 ONLY!

Is it conceivable that this could happen (even if for 1 or 2 shows)? Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I feel like GNR owes this to their fanbase!

I'm not sure if anybody else cares at this point, but I get seriously (:rofl-lol:) bummed whenever anyone --specially a member of this forum -- changes the name of my favorite band.

My favorite band has a name

The name is Guns n Roses

(not "classic 5")

===

Now, back on topic, yes, you are 100% correct, if the Guns n Roses guys don't put whatever reservations they might have aside and regroup for Appetite For Destruction 30th anniversary this year it will be sad and pathetic.

And yes, they need to play a full Guns n Roses show with no aliens whatsoever onstage

Then they need to do it again

And again

And again

And then they need to get their shit together and write, record and perform new songs

because no one does that better than Guns n Roses

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

Exactly this. As morbid as it is to think about it's the reality. Are they all really ok with things ending like this? Because anything could happen to any one of them tomorrow. :( I don't even care so much about a reunion show. I just would like them all to be on good terms for once.

giphy.gif

Yeaaaah... because Izzy is the one being a bitch in this situation and preventing the reunion. :rolleyes::max:

Pretty sure I saw videos of the other four playing songs together last year.  That would make Izzy the bitch.

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

Pretty sure I saw videos of the other four playing songs together last year.  That would make Izzy the bitch.

I assume you have legit info about a great, really fair offer Izzy got and rejected, I hope you do. Otherwise, you just made the stupidest comment ever.

Anyone who think Izzy should be part of it for a few coins (not saying that's what he was offered but some people claim he should do it regardless of what the offer is) while the other three are making millions is a massive jerk and is hardly a GNR fan. Why? Well, let Duff explain it: "The perception in popular culture is that the singer and the lead guitar player are generally the artistic brain trust of any band. In our case, Izzy was probably the most significant force—without his initial vision and his songwriting cues, there would have been no Guns N’ Roses."

• Like 3

Will I be bummed? Nope. Having been a fan of the music since 1988, I have learned to not expect happy endings from this band. At every step, Axl has continued to show that all he cares about is himself and his vision of what the band should be. He will never admit that the magic was due to the whole fucking group, not just who wrote most of the goddam lyrics. When the anniversary passes without the AFD5 playing a full set, anyone here acting like they're surprised is full of shit. :shrugs:

• Like 1

I don't give a fuck about this band and their dramas anymore. But is funny as fuck to see people who have been whining for years cause Slash wasn't there bitching about people whining about this "reunion" now. Oh the irony. :rolleyes:

Edited by Darkenchantress
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Jane M. said:

OMG. What a relapse.

He's going back to Promises. Let's wish him well.

Why do the 12 steps when I'm already God?

Okay call the paramedics

Gonna call the IRS

Edited by wasted
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, wasted said:

I think it will happen. Like this reuniting of the Big 3, the AFD5 will be sold. Once this particular reunion of Slash and Axl is complete, maybe now all the pieces are in play. Izzy has played with Axl so that's all good. Steven has done a guest spot. I think once this line up dies then the promoters might start looking at the AFD5 thing. Offering huge deals for one off stadium deals. I've always thought a residency of some sort would suit Izzy and Adler more. They could charge more for tickets, no travel, not as much stress. 

What if Rock in Rio Izzy and Adler play? Then after that into the studio to record. Okay now I know I need help. 

I think it's probably going to happen. It needs to happen, but also it's not going to be like it was. I can handle that, not sure about the rest. Only saw Axl and DJ live.

It's more important for me to have Izzy in the studio, if it's got his perspective, even just 3 or 4 tunes, it'll gain a higher value artistically, and Axl released an album with 5 guitars on it, I believe he can add a lot with a few tunes and his vocals. Duff said he wants to write with him for the rest of his life, Slash proved with Ghost he can work with Izzy and recapture some of the vibe, with Axl it can be an important piece of the album. And rerecord Down By The Ocean with Izzy's input like the old Slash tune Fortus said they were working on.

Edited by Rovim

12 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I think it's probably going to happen. It needs to happen, but also it's not going to be like it was. I can handle that, not sure about the rest. Never saw Axl and DJ.

It's more important for me to have Izzy in the studio, if it's got his perspective, even just 3 or 4 tunes, it'll gain a higher value artistically, and Axl released an album with 5 guitars on it, I believe he can add a lot with a few tunes and his vocals. Duff said he wants to write with him for the rest of his life, Slash proved with Ghost he can work with Izzy and recapture some of the vibe, with Axl it can be an important piece of the album. And rerecord Down By The Ocean with Izzy's input like the old Slash tune Fortus said they were working on.

There has to be a reason Izzy has never really joined Slash in a band outside GNR. When Slash and Izzy work together it's GNR. So they stirred clear of that. Just another theory. Izzy brings in half a record Axl and Slash probably could knock up 5-6 songs. Covers of Layla and Freebird. It's almost too easy. Axl has to write a song about his private jet. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Yes, i shall compose a lengthy suicide note expressly blaming Axl Rose, go to the top of a very large cliff, affix 8 fishing rods with galvanised hooks between two big boulders, dig a hook into each major organ, slice myself open from groin to ribcage and then jump backwards off of said cliff, leaving a puppy tied to the rocks to feed on my guts when I'm gone and then eventually also die of starvation.  And it'll all be Axls fault.

Edited by Len Cnut

1 hour ago, wasted said:

There has to be a reason Izzy has never really joined Slash in a band outside GNR. When Slash and Izzy work together it's GNR. So they stirred clear of that. Just another theory. Izzy brings in half a record Axl and Slash probably could knock up 5-6 songs. Covers of Layla and Freebird. It's almost too easy. Axl has to write a song about his private jet. 

'Izzy didn't want a vocalist because they cause problems which is why he didn't join up with Slash'. I read that somewhere, don't know if it's true.

There maybe more issues. I'm going through issues with my creative partner, so what has happened to GNR is fairly normal, some bands get through it and some don't and it just escalates.