Will anybody else be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary?

After 10 years of waiting for a new album and 20 years of waiting for the reunion, I don't think I can be seriously bummed by anything GNR-related any more. I'm just glad things are happening, whether something happens on the anniversary or not.

4 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I assume you have legit info about a great, really fair offer Izzy got and rejected, I hope you do. Otherwise, you just made the stupidest comment ever.

Anyone who think Izzy should be part of it for a few coins (not saying that's what he was offered but some people claim he should do it regardless of what the offer is) while the other three are making millions is a massive jerk and is hardly a GNR fan. Why? Well, let Duff explain it: "The perception in popular culture is that the singer and the lead guitar player are generally the artistic brain trust of any band. In our case, Izzy was probably the most significant force—without his initial vision and his songwriting cues, there would have been no Guns N’ Roses."

I think he should do it for free.  I think they all should.

I'm not saying they should play some mega sell out concert like Led Zeppelin.

I just think somewhere, somehow, on some stage, the 5 of them should perform in public one last time.  It could be Rock in Rio or at the Whiskey for all I care.  In front of millions or in front a few hundred.  It should just happen at least once just to celebrate what they did and the fact that they're all still alive.

None of them need the money.  Izzy doesn't need the money.  He should do it just as a matter of pride in what they accomplished 30 years ago.  All of them should.

ONE fucking song.  I don't think that's too much to ask after 30 years.

Edited by estrangedtwat

I wouldn't be bummed, because as others have said I'm not sitting around day in and day out thinking about it. My life doesn't depend on it. 

Woukd it be cool! Yeah, of course. But there is more reasons why it won't happen than why it will. I've said this before, I think you're more likely to see some sort of collectors edition re-release with extras of some sort than any live show with AFD5.

but hey, I've been wrong before so who knows. 

Having the AFD 5 come out for a few songs a couple nights this summer would be cool. No doubt.

That said- it's the album- or albums (taking in GN'R Lies) and music videos that fuel the fascination IMHO- not the idea of live shows. The actual fact of the matter is that the Appetite line-up was an opening act whose popularity to my memory (40 today- 13/14 then) truly exploded (1989) just as their "public" activities were mostly winding down. Frankly, not sure how many long-time fans even saw the band enough at that time to now be nostalgic about the idea of live shows in 2017. 

It was the Illusion line-up(s) that took the music global as headliners- and that millions saw- and the current line-up is already arguably Illusion line-up 2.0 (or 3.0) as it is...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

4 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Yes, i shall compose a lengthy suicide note expressly blaming Axl Rose, go to the top of a very large cliff, affix 8 fishing rods with galvanised hooks between two big boulders, dig a hook into each major organ, slice myself open from groin to ribcage and then jump backwards off of said cliff, leaving a puppy tied to the rocks to feed on my guts when I'm gone and then eventually also die of starvation.  And it'll all be Axls fault.

:lol: Fucking hell!! In tears again! RIP Len, thoughts will be with your loved ones should this actually happen. :(

20 hours ago, todreamofwolves said:

I'm not sure if anybody else cares at this point, but I will be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't put whatever reservations they might have aside and regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary this year. And I'm not talking about bringing Izzy and Steven out for x amount of songs, I want a full set-list performed by the classic 5 ONLY!

Is it conceivable that this could happen (even if for 1 or 2 shows)? Honestly, I'm not afraid to admit that I feel like GNR owes this to their fanbase!

Dont think its going to happen, dont expect and wouldnt be bummed if it doesnt, but even if it does, dont expect Dizzy and Melissa to be out. It is what it is.

Edited by default_

8 hours ago, estrangedtwat said:

I think he should do it for free.  I think they all should.

I'm not saying they should play some mega sell out concert like Led Zeppelin.

I just think somewhere, somehow, on some stage, the 5 of them should perform in public one last time.  It could be Rock in Rio or at the Whiskey for all I care.  In front of millions or in front a few hundred.  It should just happen at least once just to celebrate what they did and the fact that they're all still alive.

None of them need the money.  Izzy doesn't need the money.  He should do it just as a matter of pride in what they accomplished 30 years ago.  All of them should.

ONE fucking song.  I don't think that's too much to ask after 30 years.

Now this is different and I agree with you. They could do it for free as they don't need the money (IMO those who think Slash needs it are smoking something really powerful). They can do it charging a lot of money on the tickets as they're doing now too. One way or another, they should all share a stage at least once again, it would be a shame if it doesn't happen.

What I don't think is fair is to expect some of them to do it for free so the others can make a ridiculous amount of money they don't need and couldn't even spend in a lifetime or to put the blame in those who are getting the shitty/not so good offers. Steven can be excluded from this because he doesn't care about the money and he didn't write the songs but certainly not Izzy.

Does it really matter at this stage who plays the drums and rhythm guitar? Jesus Christ himself could join the band, but the set list and shows would still be stale and boring as fuck, and Axl would still sound like a constipated old lady.

1 hour ago, Billsfan said:

I'm already disappointed about this cash grab, so sure I'll be disappointed if/when nothing happens but at this point, I'm expecting nothing.

All will be forgiven if any future album has Izzy on rhythm. They are really handicapping themselves creatively by having 1/2 of the songwriting team on the bench.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RONIN said:

All will be forgiven if any future album has Izzy on rhythm. They are really handicapping themselves creatively by having 1/2 of the songwriting team on the bench.

Even if this line up is here to stay, I'm sure they will atleast try to get Izzy on a song or two for an album, he's just too big of a part of the bands history. I really can't wait to see what happens when this tour finally is over because if Fortus and Frank got some sense they will leave the band to make room for the people who should be there in the first place.

This tour was too big a risk to fuck around with people like Steven (and perhaps in their mind Izzy) but now that that's gonna be over they will have time to work something out I hope. Really not looking forward to an album written with Fortus Frank and Melissa. Even though Slash will make it great, and perhaps it will be great, but for the rest of history it will always be: it could have been so much more.

• Like 1