Will anybody else be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary?

6 hours ago, Sunset Gardner said:

they know axl would have been nothing without him.  absolutely nothing.

Izzy is fucking brilliant, only an absolute tit would say otherwise... but, sorry mate, that is complete and utter fucking garbage. Possibly the most ridiculous thing I've ever read.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

It seems Izzy checks to see if the seed will sprout, but at first signs of a demented lead baby, he's gone. I think he wants to just play with the 4 of them or as many of them as possible and no bullshit.

My guess is Izzy won't say no to it if he can tolerate the price of the experience. Maybe he wants it to happen but some things just make him go "fuck this shit" and wait for next time when it gets real again.

He doesn't need the money so he can afford to wait and reunite when enough of his terms are met.

One of the terms might be Steven. Equal loot, sharing might include the classic 5. 

Where Axl doesn't agree with the Niven/Izzy position, he gets backing from Slash and Duff who both seem to think it's GNR without Izzy or Steven. Or just need money and have grown up. 

If it ain't one thing it a mofoing nother, word to the Bucket and the Tobias and the MpC4000. 

• Like 1

I haven't read this thread except the first page, but is there any reason for the original 5 not to play one or two shows? Like some legality or that they feel if they did that no one would pay to see anything but the afd 5 after that?

Because to me it seems like there's nothing to lose, not much money in 2 shows, they would only have to depend on Adler and Izzy for 2 days and everyone gets along to some capacity with Izzy playing with new guns and all.

So is there something holding them back besides ego?

Just because Izzy was essential to the success of Appetite doesn't mean that they can't create an amazing album without him. I mean some of the best songs on UYI were written without any Izzy input.

No disrespect to Izzy and before I get a smh emoji response I know exactly what songs Izzy wrote/co-wrote and I love them. But he's not the be all and end all of GN'R. This line-up has the potential to do great things without him. But yes, it would be cool if he was also apart of this but it's not the end of the world if he isn't. Far from it.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Exactly.  There is no chance that the present day AFD5 could come up with an album like AFD.  Look at Aerosmith.  In order to continue to put out popular albums a mere 14 years after their debut album, they brought in outside songwriters to help.  Translated to GNR time, that would have been 2001.

Aerosmith were certainly great songwriters to come up with their early music that made them a success.  They realized that if they wanted to continue to put out "sellable" music, they needed help.

Since there is no chance for GNR to come up with a great album at this point, I'd prefer if somehow the AFD5 got together and came up with one or two good songs.  Put them out as singles and added bonuses on some greatest hits or AFD re-release.  What's the point of them putting out an album full of forgettable material just to take up more time on future set lists?

A reunion show would be cool and Steven would make a difference on a few songs vs. Frank but if the audience was blindfolded, would 99.9% people notice that Izzy was playing rhythm instead of Richard?

I don't know if it's impossible for Guns to come up with a great album. I think they have a very good album in them. I've said it a bunch but if Slash brings a couple of songs as good as what he put on World on Fire and Axl brings in his usual epic ballads like Estranged, NV, TWAT, SOD, TIL etc. I think they could have a very good record... but they need to be honest with themselves and hire a producer who will say "that isn't good enough... that's too long... re-record that vocal *add more rasp ;)*" These guys can work on their own and come up with good stuff but IMO to get a great record out these guys at this stage in their career they need someone who's not going to roll over because he's in the room with huge rock stars.

16 hours ago, SanPedro said:

Stevens relashionship now too? What happned? I have not been too up to date on GNR recently. I just made an acc here to stay more on top of things. 

He did a few interviews where he discussed his role in the the current touring band and basically aired some of his grievances... and as you probably know anyone who does that in GNR is usually excommunicated. He basically said he was done playing with them unless he go to play more songs and Izzy was there too. 

I think things are cool though, Slash met with Steven recently at a gig and everyone (not Axl) wished him a happy birthday on social media.

1 hour ago, StoneTempleRoses said:

I haven't read this thread except the first page, but is there any reason for the original 5 not to play one or two shows? Like some legality or that they feel if they did that no one would pay to see anything but the afd 5 after that?

Because to me it seems like there's nothing to lose, not much money in 2 shows, they would only have to depend on Adler and Izzy for 2 days and everyone gets along to some capacity with Izzy playing with new guns and all.

So is there something holding them back besides ego?

Axl leveraged enough power over the last 25 years that he is in a position to do what he wants.

If the AFD5 reunites, it's because he wanted it to happen.

If they don't, it's because he didn't want it to happen.

The End.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexC said:

Just because Izzy was essential to the success of Appetite doesn't mean that they can't create an amazing album without him. I mean some of the best songs on UYI were written without any Izzy input.

No disrespect to Izzy and before I get a smh emoji response I know exactly what songs Izzy wrote/co-wrote and I love them. But he's not the be all and end all of GN'R. This line-up has the potential to do great things without him. But yes, it would be cool if he was also apart of this but it's not the end of the world if he isn't. Far from it.

I have no doubt that the three of them could put together a great album, maybe even a classic. The question here is, would that album be even better with Izzy involved? Ofcourse. Arguably the lack of enough Izzy involvement hurt the quality of UYI - this seems to be an opinion that has gained a following in recent years.

5 hours ago, AlexC said:

50 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I have no doubt that the three of them could put together a great album, maybe even a classic. The question here is, would that album be even better with Izzy involved? Ofcourse. Arguably the lack of enough Izzy involvement hurt the quality of UYI - this seems to be an opinion that has gained a following in recent years.

Then if there is new music,  richard and frank need to pony up and prove they can either write a song or have musical direction/input to create a song from scratch and not from one of the CD2 leftovers.... and it had better be good if not better than the songwriting of izzy if people feel we can do without izzy.

3 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

Axl leveraged enough power over the last 25 years that he is in a position to do what he wants.

If the AFD5 reunites, it's because he wanted it to happen.

If they don't, it's because he didn't want it to happen.

The End.

completely agree. Im sure music people who interview the band will be asking this same question and I hope the gag order is off steven to tell the truth!.

2 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Then if there is new music,  richard and frank need to pony up and prove they can either write a song or have musical direction/input to create a song from scratch and not from one of the CD2 leftovers.... and it had better be good if not better than the songwriting of izzy if people feel we can do without izzy.

See that's the thing, if we're going by actual songwriting credits - even Paul Tobias has more legitimacy to be given the rhythm guitar slot than Fortus. Fortus is a really skilled guitarist and can execute the vision of Axl and Slash, but can the guy bring anything substantial to the table creatively? Remains to be seen. He has the least influence on Chinese Democracy out of any of the players despite being in the band the longest aside from Tommy. Not the strongest endorsement of his skills.

6 minutes ago, RONIN said:

See that's the thing, if we're going by actual songwriting credits - even Paul Tobias has more legitimacy to be given the rhythm guitar slot than Fortus. Fortus is a really skilled guitarist and can execute the vision of Axl and Slash, but can the guy bring anything substantial to the table creatively? Remains to be seen. He has the least influence on Chinese Democracy out of any of the players despite being in the band the longest aside from Tommy. Not the strongest endorsement of his skills.

Agree. Wondering if maybe richard was only hired as a touring guitarist only?. Considering he has been in the band for a while im sure hes brotched to axl if theres any room in the band for any songs he has written and whether axl may like them for any future release.

Edited by Sydney Fan

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree. Wondering if maybe richard was only hired as a touring guitarist only?. Considering he has been in the band for a while im sure hes brotched to axl if theres any room in the band for any songs he has written and whether axl may like them for any future release.

Best case scenario but I think they really intend to feature him on new material since management and Axl have gone out of their way to legitimize him in press releases and during the NITL tour ("He's only been in this band 17 years", etc.). 

I suspect Axl and Slash will micromanage the whole thing and Fortus will just be their axe for hire who will play exactly what they want him to play. 

In terms of micromanaging my bet isthat will be left to axl and team brazil only. Im sure slash and Richard can work with each other well but they will still have strings on their hands and be pulled by axl as he sees fit, with team brazil watching from the shadows and whispering in axls ear hoping their cash cow can produce the goods.

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He did a few interviews where he discussed his role in the the current touring band and basically aired some of his grievances... and as you probably know anyone who does that in GNR is usually excommunicated. He basically said he was done playing with them unless he go to play more songs and Izzy was there too. 

I think things are cool though, Slash met with Steven recently at a gig and everyone (not Axl) wished him a happy birthday on social media.

Oh, ok. Thanks for  clearing that up. 

9 hours ago, wasted said:

One of the terms might be Steven. Equal loot, sharing might include the classic 5. 

Where Axl doesn't agree with the Niven/Izzy position, he gets backing from Slash and Duff who both seem to think it's GNR without Izzy or Steven. Or just need money and have grown up. 

If it ain't one thing it a mofoing nother, word to the Bucket and the Tobias and the MpC4000. 

Steven probably is a term. Felt like maybe Izzy collaborated with Sorum also as a statement just cause he was left out of the hybrid?  And Steven is not talking shit right now. But maybe I'm reading too much into Slash wishing happy bday to Izzy.

Also, going by what Axl said in the South American interview, it seemed like there was a misunderstanding. If Izzy's terms are equal gold and only the classic 5 it could be a problem. Never to return.

Is it hopeless? if the solution involves choppy Izzy participation, maybe Axl can make Izzy understand where he's coming from and there is no open rhythm guitar position.

I wonder what are the things Izzy can't accept, and if Axl truly gives a fuck, what will he offer? I think Izzy is nostalgic when it comes to Guns. He wants it. Depends how much he wants it but as long as it feels wrong to him, I don't think he'll do it. He doesn't really bends that much. Maybe it's still too early for me to draw conclusions. Brutally inconclusive.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Steven probably is a term. Felt like maybe Izzy collaborated with Sorum also as a statement just cause he was left out of the hybrid?  And Steven is not talking shit right now. But maybe I'm reading too much into Slash wishing happy bday to Izzy.

Also, going by what Axl said in the South American interview, it seemed like there was a misunderstanding. If Izzy's terms are equal gold and only the classic 5 it could be a problem. Never to return.

Is it hoepless? if the solution involves choppy Izzy participation, maybe Axl can make Izzy understand where he's coming from and there is no open rhythm guitar position.

I wonder what are the things Izzy can't accept, and if Axl truly gives a fuck, what will he offer? I think Izzy is nostalgic when it comes to Guns. He wants it. Depends how much he wants it but as long as it feels wrong to him, I don't think he'll do it. He doesn't really bends that much. Maybe it's still too early for me to draw conclusions. Brutally inconclusive.

Problem is once the AFD5 play a show, does that devalue the cache of the hybrid Reunion shows. It's a balancing act. That's why Steven was probably encouraged not to talk to much. Izzy and Steven are the new Slash and Duff, potentially. If Izzy was more media savvy he'd do a year of interviews using the fake reunion to promo his solo albums. Not really his style though, also enjoy yourself, it's later than you think. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Problem is once the AFD5 play a show, does that devalue the cache of the hybrid Reunion shows. It's a balancing act. That's why Steven was probably encouraged not to talk to much. Izzy and Steven are the new Slash and Duff, potentially. If Izzy was more media savvy he'd do a year of interviews using the fake reunion to promo his solo albums. Not really his style though, also enjoy yourself, it's later than you think. 

I believe Axl worries about acceptance of this line up. Now that I think about it, maybe even just 1 show with just the Appetite line up can open a can of shit.

But if you incorporate Izzy and Steven here and there with Fortus on stage at all times, it becomes acceptable to Axl, but maybe that's not good enough for Izzy.

Maybe this just means it will take time, I still believe it will probably happen eventually, but there's definitely an issue to solve here. I believe in a thing called love.

Edited by Rovim

9 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I believe Axl worries about acceptance of this line up. Now that I think about it, maybe even just 1 show with just the Appetite line up can open a can of shit.

But if you incorporate Izzy and Steven here and there with Fortus on stage at all times, it becomes acceptable to Axl, but maybe that's not good enough for Izzy.

Maybe this just means it will take time, I still believe it will probably happen eventually, but there's definitely an issue to solve here. I believe in a thing called love.

I guess why take the risk when you can fill stadiums with Axl, Slash and Duff. I suppose people who care about Izzy and Steven aren't packing out the stadiums. 

Maybe Izzy and Steven are more a cult thing in these here times, to put asses in seats you need to be some sort of rock celebrity. 

I'm just surprised the AFD line up doesn't have a more juice with the public, as AFD is the classic GNR album. Or are YCBM, Don't Cry, Nov Rain videos were the numbers are for GNR? 

• Like 1

To answer the thread's opening question. Yes, I will be. I can't say I'll be surprised, but I will be bummed. Again.

The original 5 are the original band, they created AfD. So in order to celebrate and not to play with all living original members would be such a shame. 

I miss Izzy and Steven on stage. Unless they're not there, it is not a reunion but a part-time collaboration.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wasted said:

I guess why take the risk when you can fill stadiums with Axl, Slash and Duff. I suppose people who care about Izzy and Steven aren't packing out the stadiums. 

Maybe Izzy and Steven are more a cult thing in these here times, to put asses in seats you need to be some sort of rock celebrity. 

I'm just surprised the AFD line up doesn't have a more juice with the public, as AFD is the classic GNR album. Or are YCBM, Don't Cry, Nov Rain videos were the numbers are for GNR? 

It's the Illusions line-up(s) that millions saw. "YCBM" with its T2 association and the trilogy videos (particularly "NR") drove the "crossover appeal" far beyond the Appetite-era IMHO. On the Guns-Metallica Tour you had the hard core bikers/truckers in black supporting Metallica- and the rest (rock fans, hippies, skaters, preppies, yuppies, frat boys, rap fans, girls, parents and/or nannies chaperoning kids, etc.) all there for Guns.

When it comes to conducting business (particularly in this touring-centric world)- Axl/Slash/Duff has always been enough. It has the track record.

Maybe it "spooks" Axl (and perhaps Slash & Duff too) that other than opening a few shows for the Stones (where the band nearly ended on stage!)- the Appetite line-up is a totally unproven stadium act...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

It's the Illusions line-up(s) that millions saw. "YCBM" with its T2 association and the trilogy videos (particularly "NR") drove the "crossover appeal" far beyond the Appetite-era IMHO. On the Guns-Metallica Tour you had the hard core bikers/truckers in black supporting Metallica- and the rest (rock fans, hippies, skaters, preppies, frat boys, rap fans, girls, parents and/or nannies chaperoning kids, etc.) all there for Guns.

When it comes to conducting business (particularly in this touring-centric world)- Axl/Slash/Duff has always been enough. It has the track record.

Maybe it "spooks" Axl (and perhaps Slash & Duff too) that other than opening a few shows for the Stones- the Appetite line-up is a totally unproven stadium act...

Yet most of the hits n classics are from the AFD lineup? I did the math once. 

But I get it, it's about perception. Izzy wrote YCBM, Don't Cry, Patience, Brownstone, Nightrain, Out ta get me, Used to love her etc. but nobody nose (sic). 

• Like 1