Will anybody else be seriously bummed if the classic 5 doesn't regroup for AFD's 30th anniversary?

1 hour ago, wasted said:

At some point I thought GNR might spiral out into indulgence like Black Crowes did a little on Three Snakes and Amorica, just hang loose like Physical Grafiti. But if anything CD is more focused than UYI or at least just another slab of rock. CD isn't even as loose as St Anger or as much of a change of direction as the Black album. It's more or less, same again with new influences. Artistically it's more than possible to put out another strong record, but maybe the live shows have lost some of the balanced on a knife edge quality. 

I agree the shows are very different now compared to the old days and it's kinda weird to know that, but also to know that Axl is still capable as a singer to deliver the fire and the vocals for Angus.

I'm going to the show expecting a clean party. Maybe Axl can celebrate eras in the studio as well. I think it's easy to forget they can still do a lot of cool things in the future and in the studio.

But to expect '90s greatness is somewhat silly at this point. They have changed as people, as people do. It stays a job when they get older, but priorities, inspiration and drive are all things that often change for artists as time goes by as well.

At least it's not Metallica levels of selling out. Still some CD ll left in the tank.

Edited by Rovim

5 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i agree with you but then again sometimes these guys give interviews and say they will do this annd that and THAT creates a lot of expectations -- and when this and that is not done, it creates a lot of disappointment

Absolutely agree with you. Axl is the king of creating disappointment lol

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

I agree the shows are very different now compared to the old days and it's kinda weird to know that, but also to know that Axl is still capable as a singer to deliver the fire and the vocals for Angus.

I'm going to the show expecting a clean party. Maybe Axl can celebrate eras in the studio as well. I think it's easy to forget they can still do a lot of cool things in the future and in the studio.

But to expect '90s greatness is somewhat silly at this point. They have changed as people, as people do. It stays a job when they get older, but priorities, inspiration and drive are all things that often change for artists as time goes by as well.

At least it's not Metallica levels of selling out. Still some CD ll left in the tank.

I don't care how Axl sings, that's a very metal, macho pissing contest. Axl represents something, he has a presence, he needs to be able to sing and wear shit and maybe do a rant. 

But mainly it's showing old folks can still rock. We need ramps built so we can wheelchair off the upper tiers to Nightrain. Suicide is not an option. 

Music comes first. 

"Here's a thought for every man that tries to understand what's in his hands"

• Like 1

Would definitely be cool to see.  Would I be completely bummed out if they didn't?  No, why would I be?  It would only be a one off (or a few shows at best) thing anyway..Meaning total nostalgia thing.

I'd rather get new songs or Adler or Izzy (or both) on a semi-permanent basis (4-5 songs each every show) than just one night with all of them together.  At least that would be "real" vs total nostalgia show.

Edited by Kasanova King

9 hours ago, wasted said:

I don't care how Axl sings, that's a very metal, macho pissing contest. Axl represents something, he has a presence, he needs to be able to sing and wear shit and maybe do a rant.

I feel you, Sir. Didn't mean to put words in mouths. It's just nice to know it still djents. Was cool to hear Axl reaching those highs with Angus. Or in 2010 with Guns. He comes on unprepared, but there are still golden moments here and there, and sometimes the technical aspect of it is impressive, sometimes it's the vibe. (could be both) My favorite reunion show by far is still The Troubadour.

Edited by Rovim

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

I feel you, Sir. Didn't mean to put words in mouths. It's just nice to know it still djents. Was cool to hear Axl reaching those highs with Angus. Or in 2010 with Guns. He comes on unprepared, but there are still golden moments here and there, and sometimes the technical aspect of it is impressive, sometimes it's the vibe. (could be both) My favorite reunion show by far is still The Troubadour.

I've been to a first show of a tour show, I didn't notice much other than Axl fiddling with that wire on If the World. I'm sure there's been worse shows but there's a beauty to that. Especially in rock where everything has got so corporate. Really wild bands reduced to puppets of the illuminati. And some people can't sing, don't even attempt to and no one questions them. But it's cool to get a great vocal, or a power scream like the one I witnessed on TWAT. Axl can actually sing and that is important to the songs. It's like Axl doing the shows on a throne when he broke his foot, that is the spirit you want. 

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:01 PM, Bono said:

No. The reunion was already slightly watered down given Izzy and Duff had already played with Axl's side show in the past. Now that 3/5 are in the band and 4/5 have appeared on stage together the idea of 5/5 reuniting doesn't even matter anymore. If they did that's cool but if they don't who cares. 

You and I both know that if we got an original appetite lineup, this whole place would lose their minds. I guess that means we've all given up..

On 11/04/2017 at 11:48 AM, estrangedtwat said:

I think he should do it for free.  I think they all should.

I'm not saying they should play some mega sell out concert like Led Zeppelin.

I just think somewhere, somehow, on some stage, the 5 of them should perform in public one last time.  It could be Rock in Rio or at the Whiskey for all I care.  In front of millions or in front a few hundred.  It should just happen at least once just to celebrate what they did and the fact that they're all still alive.

None of them need the money.  Izzy doesn't need the money.  He should do it just as a matter of pride in what they accomplished 30 years ago.  All of them should.

ONE fucking song.  I don't think that's too much to ask after 30 years.

Yeah I think you should go to work and not get paid either. Sorry but as a pro musician, this irks me.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:51 PM, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i was ecstatic that Axl and Slash made amends. the most heart breaking thing i ever read was Slash coming to Axl's door and Axl not even bothering to come and say hi :cry: so Slash being with Axl and playing together was all i really wanted. but NOW i would so love to see the AFD reunite. if it happens i'll be over the moon, if not, thank you all for what you did give and all your fans :heart:

Slash sounded like he had to deal with the wrath of Perla if he didn't go. 

An AFD show with just the 5 guys will probably never happen, it'll be the full band plus Steven and Izzy. I think if GNR had unfinished recordings that they want Izzy and Steven to add parts to, that's more likely. 

On 14-4-2017 at 2:00 AM, RONIN said:

Those UYI credits are a mess. Slash created Locomotive in a drug stupor when he was crashing at Izzy's house. Izzy is not on the final credits for the song. Did Izzy just watch Slash jam it out, was he not there the entire time? Who knows.

I would think so. I've said this before on here, in the early 90s Duff talked about writing a lot more for the UYI albums than he got credit for but everyone was fighting for getting their name on it, so he was the bigger man and told them to leave his name out of it. Of course, we don't know it that's true either, but I can't imagine him totally making that up either.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I would think so. I've said this before on here, in the early 90s Duff talked about writing a lot more for the UYI albums than he got credit for but everyone was fighting for getting their name on it, so he was the bigger man and told them to leave his name out of it. Of course, we don't know it that's true either, but I can't imagine him totally making that up either.

But for Appetite same deal. not a gifted writer exactly.

3 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But for Appetite same deal. not a gifted writer exactly.

You mean Duff? I don't think he's as gifted as Slash, Izzy and Axl when it comes down to songwriting, but I wouldn't dismiss his talents either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

You mean Duff? I don't think he's as gifted as Slash, Izzy and Axl when it comes down to songwriting, but I wouldn't dismiss his talents either.

I dismiss So Fine and his solo career as evidence for gifts. A fine bass player though.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

I dismiss So Fine and his solo career.

Well, that's subjective. I like So Fine and I also like some of the stuff on his first solo album, it's just that his voice is terrible on most songs. 

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Well, that's subjective. I like So Fine and I also like some of the stuff on his first solo album, it's just that his voice is terrible on most songs. 

I like so fine but it ain't no november rain. not one of his major talents all im saying.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

I like so fine but it ain't no nivember rain. not one of his major talents all im saying.

I don't necessarily disagree, like I said... he's not in the same league as the other three. But I wouldn't dismiss him, It's So Easy is still one of the most popular GnR songs and who knows how WTTJ, Nightrain, Paradise City, Rocket Queen, Civil War, etc. would have sounded like without his input.

On 16/04/2017 at 1:53 AM, EvanG said:

i remember reading an interview with duff when he released his solo album in 93 i think it was in Q magazine (uk mag) where he didnt ask for credits in order to not argue with the band in order for the band to move forward with releasing the albums.

7 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

i remember reading an interview with duff when he released his solo album in 93 i think it was in Q magazine (uk mag) where he didnt ask for credits in order to not argue with the band in order for the band to move forward with releasing the albums.

Yeah, it was at the time of his solo album. I read it in a different magazine, but it was pretty much the same thing.