Was it petty to give Axl flack for not going to the HOF induction?

Caught_in_a_Coma

I just watched the induction for the first time and it was really kind of lame.  Green Day inducted the band with Billie Joe giving some remarks on certain members in the band.  He gushed over Steven Adler but didn't seem to have nearly as much sincere praise for the complimentary things  he said about Duff and found it worth mentioning that Duff used to play in a band called "The Farts".  Matt Sorum got a mention but nothing for Gilby Clarke.  Billie mentioned Dizzy Reed but all he said was "you do a good job on keyboards!" or something like that.  Why even mention such a weird member of GN'R history if that is all you are going to say and you aren't going to mention anything about Gilby or any other members of the current lineup at that time? It was cool of Billie to stick up for Axl Rose when people started booing when he was alluding to him though.  The introduction speech just felt sloppy overall and didn't seem to do the band justice.  Sorum was kind of disrespectful to Steven when he spoke as well.  The whole thing felt unorganized and kind of embarrassing

Was Axl really being a spoil sport by not showing up?  I don't think so.  It was a lame thing.  It was classic Axl to not attend.  I hope he watched a Ninja Turtles movie as it was going on.  I don't know if there is any truth to this but I read that Izzy told a story that he and Axl were going to meet at a hotel to talk about whether or not they should attend the induction.  According to the story, Izzy showed up at the meeting place and waited a few hours for Axl.  Axl never came, Izzy knew that meant he and Axl wouldn't be attending it.

It wasn't petty at all.  It was an insult to the fans and the band and everyone involved in the industry that helped Axl along the way.  Everyone that enabled him to live the lavish lifestyle of luxury that he's enjoyed for thirty years.  And he couldn't take ONE night to stand on a stage next to them?

What an asshole.

And now he's out there actually doing shows with them, so the money must have finally been an issue.  Sure makes his boycott seem small and petty now, doesn't it?  Seeing as how adamant he was about not even standing in the same room as Slash and now he's running around on stage with him.

If by "Classic Axl" you mean belligerent self serving asshole that ruins everything for everyone around him, then yeah.  Classic Axl.

Edited by estrangedtwat
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I just watched the induction for the first time and it was really kind of lame.  Green Day inducted the band with Billie Joe giving some remarks on certain members in the band.  He gushed over Steven Adler but didn't seem to have nearly as much sincere praise for the complimentary things  he said about Duff and found it worth mentioning that Duff used to play in a band called "The Farts".  Matt Sorum got a mention but nothing for Gilby Clarke.  Billie mentioned Dizzy Reed but all he said was "you do a good job on keyboards!" or something like that.  Why even mention such a weird member of GN'R history if that is all you are going to say and you aren't going to mention anything about Gilby or any other members of the current lineup at that time? It was cool of Billie to stick up for Axl Rose when people started booing when he was alluding to him though.  The introduction speech just felt sloppy overall and didn't seem to do the band justice.  Sorum was kind of disrespectful to Steven when he spoke as well.  The whole thing felt unorganized and kind of embarrassing

Axl, Duff, Izzy, Matt, Steven, Slash & Dizzy were inducted into the hall of fame. The others weren't. Why would Billie mention Gilby when he's not inducted? Or any of the other transplants? 

Some people at the time felt like Dizzy didn't belong in the hall of fame and that's probably what brought on Billie's comments. Playing to the crowd so to speak for a cheap laugh. But I agree his speech was immature and disrespectful, especially the "he's fucking crazy" part. But what do you expect from Green Day? They're 40+ year old men dressing like they're in middle school with the personalities to match.

Was Axl really being a spoil sport by not showing up?  I don't think so.  It was a lame thing.  It was classic Axl to not attend.  I hope he watched a Ninja Turtles movie as it was going on.  I don't know if there is any truth to this but I read that Izzy told a story that he and Axl were going to meet at a hotel to talk about whether or not they should attend the induction.  According to the story, Izzy showed up at the meeting place and waited a few hours for Axl.  Axl never came, Izzy knew that meant he and Axl wouldn't be attending it.

It wouldn't have been lame if it was done properly. (Journey's recent induction for example was great) The guys worked with what they had and if you've read Duff's book you would know the entire event was very last minute. They didn't even know who was going to play until 2am the morning of the induction.

And unless Axl has some sort of 6th sense there is no way he would've known what would've happened at the event. If he had attended (Izzy too) I'm sure the whole thing would've been better prepared. Axl didn't go because he thought all of his hired hands should've been inducted too and who knows why Izzy didn't go.

The story about Izzy waiting for Axl at the Marmont was from Niven so I'd consider the source on that whole thing. Chances are Izzy just didn't want to deal with the drama of it all but I think they both should've gone. The way Axl & Izzy handled that whole thing was about as disrespectful as Billie's speech. But it's their induction and their choice so it's whatever... Shoulda woulda coulda... :shrugs:

From Duff's Book:

Spoiler

At the time, I felt like it could have been the beginning of a new chapter for me and Axl, and maybe even the whole band. We were to be honored with an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Perhaps it would be time for us to finally put the past behind us and move forward. It wasn’t meant to be. My friend Izzy Stradlin asked me to relay a message via my Seattle Weekly blog that he would not be attending the event. And Axl released his own letter soon after announcing his intention not to attend. I know both men had their reasons, but I couldn’t help but feel like we were missing an opportunity and letting down our fans.

With Slash, Steven, Matt, and I all planning to attend, I knew we’d have to do something special for our fans. It all went by in such a blur that the details didn’t come into focus until after I watched the performance on the HBO special weeks later. It was a very poignant event. I don’t think I was expecting just how heavy the whole deal was going to be for me on a personal level. Walking into the lobby at the hotel that all the artists were staying at, the first person I saw was fucking Ronnie Wood from the Faces/ Stones. He gave me a huge hug and smiled a huge grin. “Isn’t this going to be fucking great, Duff?!” Uh, yeah, sure . . . but, what a welcome it was. In the aftermath of all of the drama leading up to the event, I stuck to my mind-set that I was there to honor our fan base who had been there for us over the last twenty-five years. A funny thing happened in the lead-up to Cleveland. It seemed that there was an understanding not only with the people who flew in to Cleveland to see “their band” inducted but in how the other bands inducted rallied around Slash, Steven, Matt, and me. They had our backs, and all offered their help in any way that we could use it. Flea gave me a big hug later that afternoon, and so did Chad Smith. You can always count on the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The Green Day guys came to my book reading the night before at the House of Blues. Billie Joe and I devised a plan for him to sing whatever was needed .. if needed. We really didn’t know if we were going to play at all, and it wasn’t cemented until we actually rehearsed at 2 a.m. the day of the show. We rehearsed with Steven Adler. Slash and I hadn’t played those songs with him in something like twenty-two years. Would it work? Would we be able to get our mojo back with only fourteen hours before playing in front of an audience of 7,000, not to mention being filmed for an HBO special!? We snagged Gilby Clarke and Myles Kennedy to come join us, and both guys killed it.

McKagan, Duff; Kornelis, Chris (2015-05-12). How to Be a Man: (and other illusions) (pp. 239-240).

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 2

If it happened now, he wouldn't have cared about Ashba or Robin or Bucket or Tommy.

He would have gone now even if Matt and Gilby were there.

Axl just din't go cause he had hatred for Slash and so much ego. 

• Like 1

I didn't realize Dizzy was inducted and Gilby wasn't.  The totally uneventful Dizzy nod makes sense now and was a clever kind of jab at him but that just turns into another example of what I meant about the induction speech being not very good; the person giving the induction speech pokes fun at someone from the band getting inducted during the speech

I see where Axl was coming from with this.  We have the NITL tour.  That induction wasn't handled well. 

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

HOF is a fucking joke anyway, I mean they inducted into "ROCK AND ROLL HOF" N.W.A and Tupac before Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Motorhead, Judas Priest and Bon Jovi(not a fan but they sold 100+ milion damn albums put some respect).

For Axl not showing up I couldn't care less especially now that Slash and Duff are back.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'll never understand why some people were so offended by Axl's decision not to show up. It was painfully obvious that they were inducted in their first year of eligibility because some people thought they could make a reunion out of it. Props to Axl for not playing ball.

The actual event was pretty cringey anyway. Green Day inducting members of the band, who then played songs with Myles Kennedy. :facepalm:

1 hour ago, cooker said:

Is the "Hall of Fame" really that big a deal? Guns were only inducted because someone wanted to make money off of a potential reunion, it was a money decision that Axl didn't want anything to do with, right or wrong. Personally I don't understand why the Hall is held in this high standard. Awards are pointless. Just an industry circle jerk. 

3 minutes ago, DexAxl said:

HOF is a fucking joke anyway, I mean they inducted into "ROCK AND ROLL HOF" N.W.A and Tupac before Iron Maiden, Ozzy Osbourne, Motorhead, Judas Priest and Bon Jovi(not a fan but they sold 100+ milion damn albums put some respect).

For Axl not showing up I couldn't care less especially now that Slash and Duff are back.

This sort of stuff is what I'm getting at.  Axl made the right call

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cooker said:

Is the "Hall of Fame" really that big a deal? Guns were only inducted because someone wanted to make money off of a potential reunion, it was a money decision that Axl didn't want anything to do with, right or wrong. Personally I don't understand why the Hall is held in this high standard. Awards are pointless. Just an industry circle jerk. 

57 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'll never understand why some people were so offended by Axl's decision not to show up. It was painfully obvious that they were inducted in their first year of eligibility because some people thought they could make a reunion out of it. Props to Axl for not playing ball.

The actual event was pretty cringey anyway. Green Day inducting members of the band, who then played songs with Myles Kennedy. :facepalm:

This.

It's the Rock n Roll HOF. Who gives a fuck anyway. It's cringeworthy and embarrassing.

And so was the entire induction and fucking Green Day :vomit:

• Like 1

I kind of see that from his pov he's been working as nu Guns for about 15 years and they toured and worked to make it viable and to then go to HOF and have them say it's not real, not even give them somekind of nod, firstly it's bad for business of what they were doing, but maybe more importantly may have given the reunion buzz to HOF. Therefore in 2016 they couldn't get Coachella to put up big money. They were getting pressed ganged into it before Axl and Slash worked it out. GNR do things on their own terms, it would be off on the wrong foot. The reunion shouldn't be about the industry and the media, it should be about the band and the fans. Axl was right on many levels. Understand everyone was desperate for it but in someways the HOF did play a role in showing Axl not everyone was out to get him. That there was love and people did want to see him. I also saw a moment where Slash and Duff looked shocked by the boos for Axl. Maybe they got how bad the whole situation was for Axl. Slash and Duff could've done more for Axl at the HOF, in terms of dealing with the industry. Maybe afterwards they realised and it was a catalyst for the reunion tour. To make things right. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, wasted said:

I kind of see that from his pov he's been working as nu Guns for about 15 years and they toured and worked to make it viable and to then go to HOF and have them say it's not real, not even give them somekind of nod, firstly it's bad for business of what they were doing, but maybe more importantly may have given the reunion buzz to HOF. Therefore in 2016 they couldn't get Coachella to put up big money. They were getting pressed ganged into it before Axl and Slash worked it out. GNR do things on their own terms, it would be off on the wrong foot. The reunion shouldn't be about the industry and the media, it should be about the band and the fans. Axl was right on many levels. Understand everyone was desperate for it but in someways the HOF did play a role in showing Axl not everyone was out to get him. That there was love and people did want to see him. I also saw a moment where Slash and Duff looked shocked by the boos for Axl. Maybe they got how bad the whole situation was for Axl. Slash and Duff could've done more for Axl at the HOF, in terms of dealing with the industry. Maybe afterwards they realised and it was a catalyst for the reunion tour. To make things right. 

Amen. 

• Like 2