Rate: Prostitute

What do you think of Prostitute?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I revisited Chinese Democracy earlier this week and have been trying to evaluate the album based on its own merits rather than what I personally wanted from it.

One of the interesting departures from the past is that it isn't really a guitar driven album like the previous albums. Listening to the instrumental versions of these songs and their layers gives the impression that instrumental music is (as Axl has mentioned) his true passion. He's put together some beautiful compositions that could stand on their own without his vocals. In fact - arguably, the vocals take away from the music he has created.

One such song is Prostitute. I could see this particular song as an evolution of the Illusion era Guns - it wouldn't feel out of place on a long delayed hypothetical "Use Your Illusion III". This is the strongest track on the album from a production, vocals, and arrangement standpoint. I feel like it comes closest to what Axl was probably trying to achieve without getting overcooked and losing its soul in the journey to the album being released. This is a beautiful song. In fact the only thing I feel is "lacking" would be a proper Buckethead guitar solo -- something searing like the one he did on "Sorry". But did it really belong in a song like Prostitute? I can't say for sure. But at this point, that would be my only nitpick. I really like the lyrics as well. Chinese Democracy suffers from spotty lyrics (imho) but this one catches Axl on a much stronger note.  Perfect closing song for this album.

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 2

One of my top ten GN'R songs of all time, everything about it works so well. Shame it never got played live more, it was fucking amazing at those two Vegas shows - when they played it on the 4th is arguably my favorite moment from any GN'R show I've been at. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

It's the standout of the Beavan sessions and unsurprising it got good reviews back in the day.

It has all the hallmarks of GN'R: blues played with and against Axl's vocals and Adler-esque double drum kicks. 

It's the thematic justification for the New GN'R project. A sort of, I'd rather do things my way than do something I'm not enthusiastic about ethos. Pure rock n' roll. 

Amazing how this one survived relatively unscathed till the bitter end. Those Beavan sessions will haunt this project forever. 

I would bet dollars to donuts that this particular song represents the true direction/vision of Axl. Listening to Chinese Democracy, at times I get a "fine<sigh>, let's add more guitars and aggression to make it sound like Old Guns" type of vibe.

• Like 3

Good album closer. I'll admit though, this one had to grow on me, I didn't love it right out the gate. Just a little too sleepy or something for my tastes. I wish it had a little more of that 4:20 - 4:40 in it. But it has something to say and I agree that it's one of those songs you can point to and say, that's the original CD spirit.

• Like 3

It's a great song, but i don't know why it's just not my kind of song, maybe because too much screeching guitar? Despite that i agree this great closer for the album, the outro itself was phenomenal, it's invokes some sense melancholy, i always imagine it like driving home on the sunset. It was kinda soundtrack-y.

Wow, I had never heard the instrumental version and I just liked it much more than the one with vocals :wow:

This one also took time to grow in me but now it is one of my favorites of the album. I'd rate it an 8-9 in my book, depending on how I'm feeling :P

Things I don't like about it are the screechy guitars and the popish/techno drumming of some parts. It also bothers me that kind of "bubbles" sound that you can hear sometimes, feels like a technical mistake :shrugs: and the lyrics do not impress me that much but they are not bad.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Wow, I had never heard the instrumental version and I just liked it much more than the one with vocals :wow:

This one also took time to grow in me but now it is one of my favorites of the album. I'd rate it an 8-9 in my book, depending on how I'm feeling :P

Things I don't like about it are the screechy guitars and the popish/techno drumming of some parts. It also bothers me that kind of "bubbles" sound that you can hear sometimes, feels like a technical mistake :shrugs: and the lyrics do not impress me that much but they are not bad.

I actually went back and heard the instrumental versions of the songs first --  it helped me get the full "Chinese Democracy" experience. Like the Nu Guns fans always say here, there are little flourishes that you start to pick up in the song that you might have overlooked before.

The "bubbles" you speak of are Axl's homage to the bubbles from "Garden of Eden" :P

Edited by RONIN
  • Like 1

Probably my favorite ballad off of CD as a whole. I think Buckethead's solos are great, especially the whammy pedal parts. Love the orchestra parts, and both Buckethead and Robin's leads. The album version's mix is lifeless compared to the Antiquiet leak imo (the rhythm guitars are too loud/the strings aren't loud enough, and the double bass kick drum part is drowned out). Axl's piano is great when listening to the multitrack (drowned out on the album). Brain/Josh Freese's drum arrangement is cool too. At first I wasn't really digging the drum samples, but I've grown to like it.

Although its likely that Axl orchestrated the outro of the song, Marco Beltrami doesn't get enough credit for CD, especially for (either him or Axl) verse and chorus string arrangements. The reason I love CD so much is because I like orchestra rock (and metal, such as Metallica's S&M)

Shout out to Robin for helping write it (and Tobias, assuming he actually did anything)

Also, the instrumental you posted has a horrible mix. (Only the right channel, which is all Robin. Missing Buckethead's parts which are on the left channel) This one is much better imo. It'd be cool if you edited your post to include this one instead of the other one, as I think this one does the music justice

Sidenote: I don't like the way Frank plays it live, especially the double bass part. Its supposed to be only powerful snare and cymbal hits with the double kick, but he's doing tom fills (maybe doesn't have a second kick pedal, so he compensates by using toms?). Also, during the verses he completely lets off for some reason.

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

I remember the timing of this song leaking was not too far from when the album was finally getting released so it didn't get near the attention that others had.

I feel this was the one song that Axl pulled off what he was trying to do the rest of the album.  He finally made all the tinkering & instruments come together nicely.  That outro is pretty sweet & simple.

The song is beautiful as far as music goes, but Axl could have come up with better vocals and idk if it would have worked but I feel having a couple backup singers singing during the chorus or on select parts of the song could have been effective. I'm really not sure, CD to me definately could have been a movie soundtrack and I'm glad Axl admitted that that was his passion and that he focused on the music first here bc it makes CD more enjoyable in that sense, definately the album Axl wanted even though a majority of people may have been disappointed by the outcome. 

One of the strongest tracks on Chinese and without hyperbole, one of my favorite GnR songs period. Remember when it first leaked and titled "New Song 2" even though you could clearly hear Axl say "prostitute" in the song? Good times.

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Wagszilla kindly removed the drums and most of that rat-a-tat-tatting for me and it sounds fucking amazing.

Epic Darth Vader guitar layer ftw! :headbang:

Where is that version?

2 hours ago, RONIN said:

I actually went back and heard the instrumental versions of the songs first --  it helped me get the full "Chinese Democracy" experience. Like the Nu Guns fans always say here, there are little flourishes that you start to pick up in the song that you might have overlooked before.

The "bubbles" you speak of are Axl's homage to the bubbles from "Garden of Eden" :P

Are all the instrumentals on YouTube?

2 hours ago, Mendez said:

Probably my favorite ballad off of CD as a whole. I think Buckethead's solos are great, especially the whammy pedal parts. Love the orchestra parts, and both Buckethead and Robin's leads. The album version's mix is lifeless compared to the Antiquiet leak imo (the rhythm guitars are too loud/the strings aren't loud enough, and the double bass kick drum part is drowned out). Axl's piano is great when listening to the multitrack (drowned out on the album). Brain/Josh Freese's drum arrangement is cool too. At first I wasn't really digging the drum samples, but I've grown to like it.

Although its likely that Axl orchestrated the outro of the song, Marco Beltrami doesn't get enough credit for CD, especially for (either him or Axl) verse and chorus string arrangements. The reason I love CD so much is because I like orchestra rock (and metal, such as Metallica's S&M)

Shout out to Robin for helping write it (and Tobias, assuming he actually did anything)

Also, the instrumental you posted has a horrible mix. (Only the right channel, which is all Robin. Missing Buckethead's parts which are on the left channel) This one is much better imo. It'd be cool if you edited your post to include this one instead of the other one, as I think this one does the music justice

Sidenote: I don't like the way Frank plays it live, especially the double bass part. Its supposed to be only powerful snare and cymbal hits with the double kick, but he's doing tom fills (maybe doesn't have a second kick pedal, so he compensates by using toms?). Also, during the verses he completely lets off for some reason.

What are the antiquiet leaks? And what are the differences?

20 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

What are the antiquiet leaks? And what are the differences?

Different mixes, no BBF, Brains original drums, Riad has a solo by Finck and Buckethead. The title tracks original drums are more lively imo.

This is a comparison between of the radio promo, a different leak, and the antiquiet leak of CD (in that order). Just showing the antiquiet leak

Edited by Mendez