Rate: Prostitute

What do you think of Prostitute?  

179 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, wasted said:

A grower for me, kind of like Estranged where it took about a decade for me to accept it's a masterpiece. 

Took about a decade for me to like Estranged as well. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

a bag of shite.

Oh lenny...:lol:

8 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Took about a decade for me to like Estranged as well. 

Oh lenny...:lol:

It is, it's just awful.  I don't wanna listen to Axl Rose having a moan basically, it's tiresome.  TWAT is good, at least it feels like...I dunno, it has heart, there's something impassioned about it.  Better is good, The Blues is good.  Thats about it from Chi Dem, the openers alright too, sounds kinda cool, that riff and the cynicism of it.  I tell you what ones really shite, that Sorry, GOD that song goes on, you just wanna sit Axl down and go 'mate, seriously, you're making yourself look a twat, you're better than this'.  

That John Lennon one is a crime and basically, to me, indicative of a songwriter with absolutely nothing to say anymore, someone who needs to get outdoors and live and find something to write about.  You can tell he fuckin' wrote that one on his sofa, bored, watching a documentary and eating a bag of wotsits goin' 'oh that John Lennon, i understand him, he's just like me!' :lol:  

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 3

It's the biggest tiny gun Axl could design. It took me a few listens to get it so to speak. Bucket took blues to space on this one. I like the orchestration, the strings are great. The outro closes the album nicely, and the lyrics and vocals seems to be an important piece of the album and the message. (prostitutes are filthy)

Edited by Rovim

1 minute ago, Słash said:

Live performances were good, but over all the song is just meh. Its way over rated in the NuGNR community 

Who, oddly enough, are the only people who rate it at all.  Oooh, how does this work? :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

I think Axl should put this in the song listings for GNR to play live.

This song is amazing and I think Slash would rock the hell out of it and I bet Axl's voice would be up for it.

Love the piano part at the end and how it fades out.

Maybe one day or maybe Slash and Duff can work on it with Axl to suite them all.

Love this song. Axl just sounds so amazing and the music is beautiful.

i think it`s such an emotional song I always felt like Axl was addressing the fans with the lyrics the piano at the end is beautiful always makes me feel a bit sad

the one thing I would really love to know about Chinese Democracy as an album is the time line of when the songs were written and if he added songs to it after the aborted original release,

as an album it`s still fascinating of when it was put together and if he really was happy with it in the end :heart:

4 hours ago, Axl`s BFF said:

i think it`s such an emotional song I always felt like Axl was addressing the fans with the lyrics the piano at the end is beautiful always makes me feel a bit sad

the one thing I would really love to know about Chinese Democracy as an album is the time line of when the songs were written and if he added songs to it after the aborted original release,

as an album it`s still fascinating of when it was put together and if he really was happy with it in the end :heart:

Songs from the first Beavan/RTB produced records were: Chi dem, Riad, The Blues, Madagascar Twat, IRS, Catcher, Prostitute - these were all finished by around 2000 at least. Like late 90s-2000. 

Then there was stuff started around 2000 basically finished by 2004 - Better, Shackler's, If the World, Sorry, Scraped. 

This I Love was finished in 2006 I think. 

But they were still recording with Ron Frank in 2006-7. 

Sometimes I wonder if all the songs were basically written by 2000. 

I think Bucket didn't record with Beavan. So stuff like Shackler's and Scraped weren't on 2000 Intentions. Bucket worked on Sorry, put a solo on ITW in 2004. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 3

On 15 April 2017 at 9:32 PM, Len Cnut said:

It is, it's just awful.  I don't wanna listen to Axl Rose having a moan basically, it's tiresome.  TWAT is good, at least it feels like...I dunno, it has heart, there's something impassioned about it.  Better is good, The Blues is good.  Thats about it from Chi Dem, the openers alright too, sounds kinda cool, that riff and the cynicism of it.  I tell you what ones really shite, that Sorry, GOD that song goes on, you just wanna sit Axl down and go 'mate, seriously, you're making yourself look a twat, you're better than this'.  

That John Lennon one is a crime and basically, to me, indicative of a songwriter with absolutely nothing to say anymore, someone who needs to get outdoors and live and find something to write about.  You can tell he fuckin' wrote that one on his sofa, bored, watching a documentary and eating a bag of wotsits goin' 'oh that John Lennon, i understand him, he's just like me!' :lol:  

I think from the quote Axl said about Catcher is that he did write the verses on the sofa, in a half sleep state - that was his way to get into that mind set of the Holden Caulfield Syndrome sufferer. And that was an important distinction, he's not being Chapman, or Holden, but mimicing a state of mind he doesn't like, and his mocking tone he refered to in the verses (he said venting) was his way to present that character. And then the chorus is rebuttal of that mind state. Also, important that it's about a general phenomenom surrounding the book of "the holden caulfield syndrome" that many readers displayed after the release of the book, it was cool to be like Holden - everyone's a phony, it played well with the anti-eatablishment counter-culture, it's a 60s hippy book. But Axl was careful not to write about Chapman as well as Ono/Lennon estate have they don't use his name. The song is about the dangers of the book, about a much more common way of thinking we all have, Axl even on his couch, it's a negative subjective point of view, but the book I think Axl's opinion is, it is a trap in the way it's written. It's not Axl identifying with Lennon, in fact in the outro he says "Not like you and unlike me" in reference to Lennon. What Axl is saying is the book took someone special away. He blames Salinger for taking "our innocence beyond our stares". Axl said he started thinking about this song the day Lennon was killed, it was a time of innocence and hope for people of a certain age, so I could see that it affected Axl, changed his world. It's a very cinematic way to present this opinion/ideas. We've seen Axl do it before, where he uses characters and paints pictures and jumps around in time in his lyrics, then can get misunderstood easily. Like with One in a Million, he didn't write about his personal journey, he captured a snap shot of his experience and put it in context of his background. He saw it as a useful confession or reality check. These type of lyrics seem easily misunderstood, so I don't know if you are meant to understand them. My guess is most listeners take songs as this is the singer's opinion. So Catcher is the way Axl thinks about young and old people, and he was trapped inside wondering whether to leave the house, was thinking he was special like Lennon or Holden. To me that's not what the lyrics seem to be, But I thought it was about Axl's lost years in his mansion and Kurt's sucide for a while until Axl talked. I'd drive around San Andreas with shotgun listening to the demo and think this is zeitjest as fuck. 

• Like 2